Berkshire Hathaway and electric vehicles

MCR

Ever since BRK's acquisition of Duracell in 2016, I've wondered if there is an eventual play regarding electric vehicles (EV). BRK invested in BYD in 2009, which is a long time to develop some insights about the future potential direction of the industry (and market opportunities). However, I can't find much about EV's on Duracell's website (except for this). 

I also wonder about the potential impact of the shift to EV cars over the next 20 years on Pilot Flying J's business model. It looks like someone has a brainstorm about what this could look like: https://www.elischwemler.com/design/duracell-electrode

Has anyone heard or read anything about Duracell (or any of the other subsidiaries) as it relates to EV?

I wouldn't expect Duracell to become a player in electric vehicles.  Obviously BYD will be a big player in batteries and vehicles.  Berkshire will sell a lot of juice into EV charging and some day Pilot Flying J will probably use their well located footprint with restaurants, convenience stores and large bathrooms to cater to folks charging in their parking lots.  BNSF will likely electrify in some way as well eventually.  It is also possible that Berkshire Hathaway Energy's lithium extraction project from the geothermal brine will eventually prove commercially viable.

Batteries are a critical part of EV storage.  Duracell batteries are WAY WAY better then anything else on the market.  It's not even close.  There is also a MASSIVE market for items that need hard batteries.  No way around this.  The science is amazing.  Frankly, I'm more interested in how Duracell is expanding into Auto and Industrial battery markets more broadly.  

On 12/18/2021 at 12:04 PM, ValueMaven said:

Duracell batteries are WAY WAY better then anything else on the market.

What type of Duracell batteries are WAY WAY better? Are you talking AA or AAA? When I see reviews/comparisons of AA or AAA batteries I don't always see Duracell win.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 2:04 PM, ValueMaven said:

Duracell batteries are WAY WAY better then anything else on the market.  It's not even close.

Are you perhaps confusing Alkaline batteries with standard carbon batteries? The biggest difference I have found between different brands of alkaline batteries is that Duracells are often considerably more expensive, but they don't seem to last any longer than other brands that cost a lot less. 

7 hours ago, cwericb said:

Are you perhaps confusing Alkaline batteries with standard carbon batteries? The biggest difference I have found between different brands of alkaline batteries is that Duracells are often considerably more expensive, but they don't seem to last any longer than other brands that cost a lot less. 

I think Duracells are better, because they have a more even distribution curve. I see it in my active electric bass. On other brands, the sound gets weaker and weaker, with Duracell it is like a big cliff, sound is good and then instantly bad -  Changing batteries takes less than 2 minutes so I prefer it.

I still don't think any of this has anything to do with batteries for electric vehicles.  As far as disposable alkaline batteries, Duracell makes the Kirkland batteries that are sold right alongside the Duracell batteries at Costco.  I don't know what the differences are, but they are not 100% identical.  Probably very similar and much better value for the money.