Life after Bloomberg - sources of info etc.

petec

Hi all

I am looking to move away from Bloomberg and would appreciate pointers on the best alternative sources of information. What do you use to:

1. Track news on companies/sectors?
  2. Source earnings call transcripts?
  3. See consensus estimates/what other people are thinking?
  4. Populate Excel with share prices that automatically update?
  5. Do anything else that you find useful?!

Also, and research services you think are/are not worth paying for?

Thanks in advance!

P

I haven't used Bloom. I've been using TIKR and value line. I have a stand alone version of excel not a subscription version,so it won't allow me it import stock prices. I have tinkered with API's, but I'm a computer clutz....So I have migrated over to Google sheets for some basic tracking of prices etc...

Also use rocket financial for looking up filings....however TIKR has them too. 

Probably nothing innovative or new here...lol... but I'm coming around to the idea of paying for a service....as I get tired of the ads and pop-ups and stale data etc.... I'm looking for simple and effective. I think sometimes we get too cute on digging around for data. How have Buffett&Co. sat in an office with no computer...just valueline...and come up with big ideas? 

I need all the help I can get...lol. 🤪

I'd pay for TIKR at the right price.

Edited by longlake95

I thought I remembered Wabuffo recommending a service he subscribes to but it must have been in another thread.  Maybe he can share that service name again.

Its not cheap - but you were paying for Bloomberg, so....

For basic equity research - I use Sentieo. 

https://sentieo.com/

It's intelligent search capability is amazing. 

- You can search keywords and it will run through SEC filings, Conference Call Transcripts, etc and bring up information relevant to your search (plus you can customize the search with some advanced features).  I use it to find liquidations, buy-outs, spin-offs, etc.   Or you can search "inflation" but only in conference calls for the last two months. Bingo!  It will even do charts over time that show how many times inflation came up in a conference call.

- It can perform redline comparisons between the same document and show differences.  Eg. compare the risk sections of the same company's 10-K year-over-year and highlight changes.  I use it to compare mostly proxy statements and 10-K risk sections to flag changes to companies I own or am watching.

- it's ability to create customized financial tables with its TableX tool that pulls from company's financial filings saves me a pile of work.  And after you're done you can throw the result into excel.

- of course, it does screening and plotting against hundreds of company financial variables....

And that's just scratching the surface of what I can do with it.  I use it every day, many times a day.

wabuffo

9 minutes ago, wabuffo said:

I thought I remembered Wabuffo recommending a service he subscribes to but it must have been in another thread.  Maybe he can share that service name again.

- You can search keywords and it will run through SEC filings, Conference Call Transcripts, etc and bring up information relevant to your search (plus you can customize the search with some advanced features).  I use it to find liquidations, buy-outs, spin-offs, etc.   Or you can search "inflation" but only in conference calls for the last two months. Bingo!  It will even do charts over time that show how many times inflation came up in a conference call.

- It can perform redline comparisons between the same document and show differences.  Eg. compare the risk sections of the same company's 10-K year-over-year and highlight changes.  I use it to compare mostly proxy statements and 10-K risk sections to flag changes to companies I own or am watching.

- it's ability to create customized financial tables with its TableX tool that pulls from company's financial filings saves me a pile of work.  And after you're done you can throw the result into excel.

- of course, it does screening and plotting against hundreds of company financial variables....

And that's just scratching the surface of what I can do with it.  I use it every day, many times a day.

wabuffo

Woah that sounds cool! 

3 hours ago, wabuffo said:

wabuffo

Sounds amazing. What does it cost?

Sounds amazing. What does it cost?

Call them and find out.  I will say that an annual sub is not cheap - though a lot cheaper than the other heavyweights (Bloomberg/Factset/etc)  Request a trial first.

Also - they have how-to videos on YouTube that give tutorials on how to use the tools.  Watch them to get a feel for the functions/features.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Sentieo

It's a price-value thing.  It's feature-rich if you are doing heavy-duty security analysis of equities.

It might not be for you if you don't do a lot of analysis and just trade or buy a few stocks a year. 

It's also less useful for OTC stocks that have de-registered from the SEC's reporting requirements.  This tool feeds on SEC reports, conference calls and published quarterly financials - so if those things don't exist then the tools get a bit bare in terms of usefulness.

wabuffo

Edited by wabuffo

OP if you want I can make a full tutorial on how to emulate a bloomberg-ish "terminal" completely free using different sources/websites to track companies news, financials, sector trends, press releases, finra, morning star 10yr financials, search of 10K and 1Q like Sentieo, and a lot more. It’s super versatile but requires a long setup. It’s some work that i’ve made to myself and I’m not a native english speaker but I can do my best and share here.

Edited by andomori

3 hours ago, andomori said:

OP if you want I can make a full tutorial on how to emulate a bloomberg-ish "terminal" completely free using different sources/websites to track companies news, financials, sector trends, press releases, finda, morning star 10yr financials, and a lot more. It’s super versatile but requires a long setup. It’s some work that i’ve made to myself and I’m not a native english speaker but I can do my best and share here.

Wow - yes please, if you have time!

5 hours ago, petec said:

Wow - yes please, if you have time!

I’ll do my best but keep in mind that I don’t have the time to structure it like a proper tutorial so just bear with my adhd, dislexia and my poor spoken english 😁😆 but this might be very useful to you and a few more people. give me some hours and I will get back with a video link

Edited by andomori
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, andomori said:

I’ll do my best but keep in mind that I don’t have the time to structure it like a proper tutorial so just bear with my adhd, dislexia and my poor spoken english 😁😆 but this might be very useful to you and a few more people. give me some hours and I will get back with a video link

Thank you!!

• 11 months later...