5 Habits That Will Make You POWERFUL Beyond Belief - Jordan Peterson Motivation

LongHaul

I've watched JP's lectures before he became popular. They used to be shown on TVO (Ontario public TV). I even attended some of his lectures at UofT. They are really, really good. It's not some typical self-help stuff that people think he's marketing nowadays. Really goes into the fundamentals of human psychology, behavior, culture, religion, etc. He even changed my mind on religions and made me a strong believer of existentialism.

My favorite rule: "Don't lie". You realize that it's not just about lying but it's about living the best life possible. You end up keeping your actions in check because you don't want to lie about them. For instance, you wouldn't do any debauchery things because you'd have to lie about them to your wife. So simple yet it really sets you straight.

Unfortunately, he has now been politicized and therefore has become a polarized figure. It's rather unfortunate.

11 hours ago, clutch said:

I've watched JP's lectures before he became popular. They used to be shown on TVO (Ontario public TV). I even attended some of his lectures at UofT. They are really, really good. It's not some typical self-help stuff that people think he's marketing nowadays. Really goes into the fundamentals of human psychology, behavior, culture, religion, etc.

Unfortunately, he has now been politicized and therefore has become a polarized figure. It's rather unfortunate.

^  Exactly - they can trash away as they miss the point. The man is brilliant.

Jordan Peterson has done some really great work and covers some really interesting topics on thought sociology and philosophy. Some of his early lectures on the USSR and Nazi Germany are pretty fascinating. Also if your a fan of Dostoyevsky or Neitzche he is worth a listen as he has done some extensive work on them. His Sam Harris debate is also worth a watch. 

Honestly it’s a disservice to say he is a self help guru. Or compare him to “Dr. Phil” who doesn’t even have a degree. 

11 hours ago, Castanza said:

Jordan Peterson has done some really great work and covers some really interesting topics on thought sociology and philosophy. Some of his early lectures on the USSR and Nazi Germany are pretty fascinating. Also if your a fan of Dostoyevsky or Neitzche he is worth a listen as he has done some extensive work on them. His Sam Harris debate is also worth a watch. 

Honestly it’s a disservice to say he is a self help guru. Or compare him to “Dr. Phil” who doesn’t even have a degree. 

Look at the thread title. If that doesn't sound the hook line from a self help guru, then I don't know what is. I know very little about his other work, and that isn't really the focus of this thread. I also don't even know  about political biases, nor do I even care.

Self help gurus go into my trash inbox and that's all there is to it. Others may find value in what he does, which is also fine with me.

1. Be grateful for what you have.

2. Be scrupulously honest with yourself & thread the needle between malicious deception and "no honey, you don't look fat in those jeans".

3. Set goals & be prepared to fail along the way, dust yourself off and constantly reevaluate your steps to the goal. 

4. Avoid main stream television media and online social networks that resemble echo chambers.

5. Praise sparingly & publicly. Criticize directly & privately and avoid back biting.

6. Don't spend more than you make & don't commit yourself to debts for stupid shit. (See #1 for reinforcement of this concept.)

There, now I'm a self help guru. Please send your generous donations to...

10 hours ago, DooDiligence said:

1. Be grateful for what you have.

2. Be scrupulously honest with yourself & thread the needle between malicious deception and "no honey, you don't look fat in those jeans".

3. Set goals & be prepared to fail along the way, dust yourself off and constantly reevaluate your steps to the goal. 

4. Avoid main stream television media and online social networks that resemble echo chambers.

5. Praise sparingly & publicly. Criticize directly & privately and avoid back biting.

6. Don't spend more than you make & don't commit yourself to debts for stupid shit. (See #1 for reinforcement of this concept.)

There, now I'm a self help guru. Please send your generous donations to...

If you now don't break each and every one of them, you are better than Peterson. Where can I wire the money ? 😄

4 hours ago, MattR said:

If you now don't break each and every one of them, you are better than Peterson. Where can I wire the money ? 😄

I can even condense it in one sentence:

Don’t be an asshole and don’t fool yourself.

You should get very far just living by that. Easier said than done though.

On 9/22/2021 at 9:54 PM, DooDiligence said:

He who hasn't heard this song in their heart is lost...

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run, and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say

Second only to "Us and Them" on that album.  Good tunes.

5 hours ago, MattR said:

I've allowed #4 to screw me up numerous times, and am making a conscious effort now to avoid the nonsense.

Stuff still leaks through but I find that I'm a crap load more blissful while concentrating on material that furthers my goals.

Quite a while back, I was watching old episodes of Rowan & Martins Laugh In and noticed how they were lampooning the same set of events that are going on today. The geographies & main characters were different but the themes were the same. (Vietnam, commies with missiles in Cuba, Nixon & Watergate, healthcare, blah, blah, blah...)

You can go for a month at a time and then tune in to the weekend shows (Meet the Press, Face the Nation, Alabama Political Reporter and Firing Line with Margaret Hoover [she's smart & super hot BTW], and voila, you're caught up.

The only immediate hazard is inclement weather and for the most part I can get that by going outside.

Send donations to...

😉

1 hour ago, Spekulatius said:

I can even condense it in one sentence:

Don’t be an asshole and don’t fool yourself.

You should get very far just living by that. Easier said than done though.

That's the self help dude in a nutshell.

Instant gratification from just listening to how it's done,

even if the listener never fully follows through,

a little bit of it sticks, and with repetition comes conditioning?

Nobody's perfect, but it seems like everyone here actively practices becoming a more advanced human.

Edited by DooDiligence

Perhaps my posting was a bit mistaken because the video was from Success Chasers who seems to be for self help and not directly from Jordan Peterson.

My mistake on that one.  I didn't mean for him to come across only as a self help guru.

I think the overall point though is that Jordan Peterson is someone I think we can all learn a lot from.

The below debate where he critiques the Communist Manifesto was well done.

Jordan Peterson's Critique of the Communist Manifesto

^ Again, maybe I appear like a smartass, but it doesn't take much to rip the Communist Manifesto apart. Karl Marx basically stated that he could predict the future outline of history as a fairly rigid sequence of events that would inevitably end in communism.

The idea to predict the future far out is already ludicrous by itself and even his disciple Lenin realized that and said screw the model and started the revolution in Russia even though technically the country wasn't ripe yet. So really he Manifesto has been proven wrong as a model and of course communism never really worked either.

If you want to teach history in a simple book, read the "Animal Farm" from George Orwell. Even kids can understand that one.

I wish students in history classes in school would study the source material and in this case read this very short (36 pages) treatise. The teacher just need to ask a simple question - did any of the things Marx predicted actually happen?  I think some interesting discussion should flow from there.

Edited by Spekulatius