Tools for calculating returns across accounts

rayfinkle

Hi everyone! I have a several brokerage accounts spread across several institutions. My goal is to see my returns over time across these accounts by various cuts. Ideally this includes:

1. Using a standard definition of returns that ideally aligns with how funds publish them;

2. Can show these returns across a few accounts / institutions (IB, Schwab, etc.)

Does anyone have tips on how to solve this? I know each institution has a view of performance for accounts within that institution. But I haven't found a way to look at this across institutions without downloading data to a spreadsheet and running somewhat complicated math that may or may not be the "right" definition of returns (accounting for inflows, outflows, etc.)

Thanks all!

Quicken.

I had to do this because over time I had moved brokerages, account numbers changed, and wanted to include partner's accounts.

You have to import everything in which is a pain, but once its setup you only need to update it with new trades. Some brokers, like IB, let you import your account information directly into it.

It then lets you calculate IRRs for each year (i.e. your 2013, 2014, 2015 IRRs), as well as a total IRR. IRR is probably the right measure to use for performance.

As well if you want to calculate 'simple' returns it will tell you for each period (monthly/quarterly/annually) what the starting value was, inflows, outflows, and ending market value, so then you can calculate a simple return yourself.

On 9/17/2021 at 12:39 PM, rayfinkle said:

Hi everyone! I have a several brokerage accounts spread across several institutions. My goal is to see my returns over time across these accounts by various cuts. Ideally this includes:

1. Using a standard definition of returns that ideally aligns with how funds publish them;

2. Can show these returns across a few accounts / institutions (IB, Schwab, etc.)

Does anyone have tips on how to solve this? I know each institution has a view of performance for accounts within that institution. But I haven't found a way to look at this across institutions without downloading data to a spreadsheet and running somewhat complicated math that may or may not be the "right" definition of returns (accounting for inflows, outflows, etc.)

Thanks all!

Thanks!!! Will try

I just keep track of all my account balances in a spreadsheet. Every time I add money, or withdraw, I take a tally of all portfolio values and sum them. 

Then I can adjust the sum by the withdrawals/additional a la your traditional Time Weighted Return calculation and you've got yourself returns adjusted for flows - a simplified version of how funds would calculate it. 

7 hours ago, TwoCitiesCapital said:

I just keep track of all my account balances in a spreadsheet. Every time I add money, or withdraw, I take a tally of all portfolio values and sum them. 

Then I can adjust the sum by the withdrawals/additional a la your traditional Time Weighted Return calculation and you've got yourself returns adjusted for flows - a simplified version of how funds would calculate it. 

x2. I do the same in Excel.