Learning Materials

vng510

Hi!  I'm new to this forum and I am very impressed on the knowledge base and discussions on this forum.  I'm trying to follow the 'Investment Ideas' to learn from the everyone's deep dive analysis but I find it challenging to understand everything.  I started to read more in depth on analyzing the financial statements through websites/books.  I am wondering if anyone have any good leads on any learning materials?  Perhaps one day I can contribute to this community!

Read everything you can get your hands on. Start with some classic books. A few of my favorites are the Market Wizards series, Reminisces of a Stock Operator, and Bull! A History of Boom and Bust. From there you can start figuring out what suites you as far as a style goes. I've also advised folks(like pure newbies) half jokingly to figure out what a degree in investing would cost...Take 25% of that amount and put it in a trading account. And just get to work. The best educational material is ultimately gained on the field. 

If you are a student you may have access (through your library) to Mergent Online. This database has a section called Investext which has analyst reports for many publicly traded companies. Looking at initiating coverage reports on stocks you are interested in a good way to get started.

I’ve only sort of skimmed this, but this likes a good starting point for an array of relevant material.  It’s aimed toward MBA interns, so perhaps a touch advanced for someone brand new.  Contains lots of TL:DR summaries of embedded links to articles, books, research pieces, etc.

https://mcusercontent.com/6dc62f307511d466ff78a94fe/files/08f2139c-5671-bfe3-fcd6-17ea31f9a85a/Verdad_Curriculum_v8.pdf

On 9/15/2021 at 8:47 PM, maplevalue said:

If you are a student you may have access (through your library) to Mergent Online. This database has a section called Investext which has analyst reports for many publicly traded companies. Looking at initiating coverage reports on stocks you are interested in a good way to get started.

Here is what I can access from my (Boston ) public library online:

Valueline

Morningstar

Mergent Online

S&P Netadvantage

NYT online

WSJ online

Boston Globe online

Its all free, just a bit less convenient to go through the library online portal, but that is all.