The Abby Joseph Cohen of This Era

Parsad

Cathy Woods has Tesla pegged at $3000 a share.  May happen, but for some reason I have Woods pegged as this era's Abby Joseph Cohen...perennial bull of the 90's, who essentially disappeared for a decade when the tech wreck happened.  Reminded also of CIBC analyst Jeff Rubin's call of $200 a barrel oil back in 2007 too!  Cheers!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-stock-is-worth-3000-ark-invests-cathie-wood-201139618.html

A big difference in Woods favor is that she has publicly laid out her analysis in some detail.

The ArkInvest price target detailed analysis is available on the www.ark-invest.com web site free ( I can’t insert the URL for some reason). I you go to their website search on Tesla.

in general Wood’s strategy of investing in disruptive innovation has merit (think Digit). She sees a convergence of technologies that will catapult industries into a new era of advancement over the coming 10 years.

57 minutes ago, FairFacts said:

A big difference in Woods favor is that she has publicly laid out her analysis in some detail.

The ArkInvest price target detailed analysis is available on the www.ark-invest.com web site free ( I can’t insert the URL for some reason). I you go to their website search on Tesla.

in general Wood’s strategy of investing in disruptive innovation has merit (think Digit). She sees a convergence of technologies that will catapult industries into a new era of advancement over the coming 10 years.

Masa in drag, with a shorter singularity horizon? 🤪

I dont really have an opinion on Cathy other than kudos to her for making a name and so far a killing doing something different. Otherwise, I'd point out that she had a $4,000 price target, pre-split, when Tesla was trading at $200 and all the TeslaQ geniuses said fraud and had 0 targets...So she has already been right as split adjusted TSLA remarkably touched her targets...and she certainly has more credibility than the ones who were bearish because of their Excel sheets. Maybe they can show us where they called 5-10 baggers but most cant. And otherwise what good is all their "research" if it just results in massive losses? 

Disclosure, I am currently short Tesla and a few ARK funds. 

Cathie‘s research seems to lead to massive losses too, now that the AUM is large. This year, her funds are underperforming. For awhile, it seems that she was able to create her own tailwind due to rising AUM and probably other following her, but that seems to be over know and now she seems to daytrade positions and buy the dip on has been stocks like ZM, likes boomer.

Well, technically speaking, she is a boomer.

I think theres a lot working against her and those funds right now. But I also get a kick out of the stupidity out there. Value investor (insert name) returns -20 or -30% for a year and everyones like "oh but he's bound to turn it around"...Cathy does -20% after crushing it for half a decade and "thats the end of her" and "she's finished".....quite amusing. 

As far as I know AJC never ran any fund.   I think the better comparison is Gerry Tsai and his Manhattan Fund of the go-go 60s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Tsai

he later founded the Manhattan Fund, an aggressive growth fund, in 1965. Tsai sold his interest in the fund complex in 1968 but continued to manage the funds. By 1969 the funds collapsed, losing 90% of their value.  An early proponent of momentum investing, Tsai's specialty was concentrating his portfolios on narrow batches of glamour stocks, including Xerox and Polaroid Corporation, at a time when broad diversification was the prevailing wisdom.

wabuffo

Edited by wabuffo

4 hours ago, wabuffo said:

I think the better comparison is Gerry Tsai and his Manhattan Fund of the go-go 60s.

My vote goes to Ryan Jacob. Does anyone remember the Jacob Internet Fund? After stellar performance in 98 and 99 he launched is own fund which lost ~95% from 2000 to 2002.

I used to work with a guy who was trapped long (as of a few years ago) in some Janus funds from the late 90's.  He asked what he should do (down 80% or something), and I said sell.  He couldn't bring himself to take the loss and move on.