Biden Estate Tax Proposals

Munger_Disciple

12 hours ago, DooDiligence said:

Now we’ve come back full circle.

Incentives for our national leaders are not aligned with what’s good for the country as a whole. The longest tenures go to those who have the skills to attain and remain in office but who lack the abilities (and will) to execute plans and legislation that are in the best interest of our country.

Term limits. One and done.

Campaign finance reform.

Publicly funded campaigns.

No private or personal funds allowed.

Run out of $, too bad.

Run out of time, back to the private sector.

Passing on massive estates ensures the consolidation of power and perpetuates misaligned incentives and incompetence.

Evolution now or revolution later.

I agree with all of your points except the last 😛 It's not the money that is the problem, but the ways which is can currently be used to influence politics. Most of your above points would take care of the later imo. 

Govt has just so much waste it's sickening. I mean the latest infra bill is a perfect example. Look at how much is actually going to infra. We need a Calvin Coolidge president who does nothing but cut bloat for 8 years and once that's done re-evaluate what tax revenue needs to look like. Not an easy or simple situation and honestly I don't think there is a fix. 

I recent have re-read Solzhenitsyn: The Gulag Archipelago and some of Dostoevsky works. Class warfare is something that spirals very quickly and I find it concerning that there is very similar language being lauded by our politicians on both sides of the aisle. 

At the end of the day if you have to have a death tax, I think the cap could be much higher than 3.5m. I think society in general should be shifting back towards family dependence and not government dependence. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Castanza said:

I agree with all of your points except the last 😛 It's not the money that is the problem, but the ways which is can currently be used to influence politics. Most of your above points would take care of the later imo. 

Govt has just so much waste it's sickening. I mean the latest infra bill is a perfect example. Look at how much is actually going to infra. We need a Calvin Coolidge president who does nothing but cut bloat for 8 years and once that's done re-evaluate what tax revenue needs to look like. Not an easy or simple situation and honestly I don't think there is a fix. 

I recent have re-read Solzhenitsyn: The Gulag Archipelago and some of Dostoevsky works. Class warfare is something that spirals very quickly and I find it concerning that there is very similar language being lauded by our politicians on both sides of the aisle. 

At the end of the day if you have to have a death tax, I think the cap could be much higher than 3.5m. I think society in general should be shifting back towards family dependence and not government dependence. 

Agree completely with everything you're saying.

My bipartisan view is that both sides of the aisle need a thorough cleaning.

Get rid of Nancy Pelosi & Elizabeth Warren + many more tenured Democrats.

Get rid of Mitch McConnell & Ted Cruz + many more tenured Republicans.

Taxpayer funded campaigns might just make them beholden to us rather than concentrated special interests.

End of my rant(s). Apologies for polluting the board.

Edited by DooDiligence

On 9/9/2021 at 9:01 PM, RichardGibbons said:

Income does not imply in any way a working relationship. It just implies money coming in.  e.g. gambling profits, capital gains, insurance payouts, and gifts are all income.

Says you (and unfortunately the government, the goons with the guns). That is a non-definition, I'd call it newspeak (no relation between meaning and word anymore). Similar how in your country a group is calling itself liberals (or neo-liberals) while liber means freedom and they are advocating the opposite through advocating for many goverment regulations (the polar opposite of freedom). Not many people realize they've been living in an Orwellian world all along.

13 hours ago, wachtwoord said:

Says you (and unfortunately the government, the goons with the guns). That is a non-definition, I'd call it newspeak (no relation between meaning and word anymore). Similar how in your country a group is calling itself liberals (or neo-liberals) while liber means freedom and they are advocating the opposite through advocating for many goverment regulations (the polar opposite of freedom). Not many people realize they've been living in an Orwellian world all along.

Well, kind of everyone defines it that way, economists, accountants, pretty well everyone. If you google "income" you'll find the term is pretty standard.

Edited by RichardGibbons

On 9/10/2021 at 4:04 PM, Castanza said:

"... Not an easy or simple situation and honestly I don't think there is a fix. ..."

Castanza,

I have never in my life experienced an issue for which there hasen't been a feasible fix available. The concept of the "non-existense of a fix" is a political mirage, very well promoted, over and over again, here, there and everywhere. Everything can be fixed in a society. It's all about will and capacity to suffer.