Chou funds mid-year report out

wondering

http://choufunds.com/pdf/SEMI-AR 2021 EN.pdf

I know Francis Chou gets kicked around a lot for this performance in the last few years, but he is absolutely killing it recently (see his 1 year returns).

Interestingly, he took some profit on Resolute and Blackberry.  I am not sure if that was because these stocks were already a major part of the portfolio, and if he had to sell because of mutual funds limiting the percentage of the portfolio that can be in one stock.

Good for him on the year but man, he's trailed the market over 3, 5, 10, 15 and 20 year time periods. And that's before taxes. I like Chou but I'm not convinced he's a superior investor. Not convinced at all. 

5 minutes ago, stahleyp said:

Good for him on the year but man, he's trailed the market over 3, 5, 10, 15 and 20 year time periods. And that's before taxes. I like Chou but I'm not convinced he's a superior investor. Not convinced at all. 

I'm convinced he's not.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2021 at 5:21 PM, fareastwarriors said:

He seems like a nice guy but he's un-investable.

For you Monday morning quarterbacks...he's killing it at Wintaai and Stonetrust as well...so far a 72% CR for 2021...destroying it both on the insurance side and investment side.  He's finally running the type of vehicle that allows him to use all of his talent...no limits on concentration, his insurance expertise and float leverage.  And for those that complain about Fairfax's complexity...Francis is keeping it simple at Stonetrust...more like Markel.  Cheers!

Wintaai Financial Highlight (June 2021).pdf

5 hours ago, Parsad said:

For you Monday morning quarterbacks...he's killing it at Wintaai and Stonetrust as well...so far a 72% CR for 2021...destroying it both on the insurance side and investment side.  He's finally running the type of vehicle that allows him to use all of his talent...no limits on concentration, his insurance expertise and float leverage.  And for those that complain about Fairfax's complexity...Francis is keeping it simple at Stonetrust...more like Markel.  Cheers!

Wintaai Financial Highlight (June 2021).pdf 74.87 kB · 13 downloads

I wonder if the ability to concentrate hurts him or helps him. Judging by his funds, it seems that the more diversified approach stopped him from blowing up completely. 

Like I said, he's a nice guy and I hope he does well though.