Car recommendation

hasilp89

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

So just had this fall into my lap. Mother in law has a 2020 Lexus NX on lease. Hates it. Got a new car. Politely made fun of my 2014 IS with 150k miles on it. So she offered to let me buyout the car after the lease expiration. $22k for the above with 24,000 miles. Turned around and hit up Carvana for a quote on the 2014 Lexus. ~$13k. Yea, Tibetan Mastiff teeth marks in the drivers side door panel and all. 

Yea. I love the 2014 but at 150k miles and where used car pricing is, I can’t pass. As great as it is, one event, that is normal or not exactly unexpected of a used car, such as a transmission, and I’m paying roughly the difference between trading up, maybe $7-10k. Except if my 2014 goes and I need a new transmission, I pay for it, and still own a 2014. 

I am not certain what kind of market is out there but if possible to transfer a lease, this probably seems like a reasonable route for someone looking to buy a newish car. The buyout prices are based on pre batshit residuals. 

I was getting an oil change on the IS last week and the Toyota place has a 2019 RAV4 with 49k miles in the show room for $34k. Crazy times 

On 3/13/2022 at 12:38 PM, cwericb said:

Was dealing online with a dealer negotiating on a recent used Mercedes-Benz. When he found out I didn't have a trade and was paying cash, he dropped me like a hot potato. They like the kick back on the financing and all the dealers around here are advertising "We want to buy your car!" We have acres of empty car lots at the dealers around here and dealers are desperate for cars. However, in talking to some, they say that sales are not that bad considering the waiting list for new cars. Order now for November/December delivery. Interesting times.

When I buy a car I always finance it.  The dealer is willing to give you a much better deal if you do.  Just pay off the loan after a month.  Just make sure there is no pre-payment penalty.

1 hour ago, Spekulatius said:

As long as you only drive on straight roads.

I never drove a car until about 3 1/2 years ago. I made my driver license for about $100 USD and got a brand new luxury SUV 4x4 from the original primary dealer, which was returned by the prior owner, a doctor, after only a few months. It was approximate a deal, -20% below the MSRP, while getting a special kickback from the underlying dividend, as a shareholder of the company in that specific year, which covered the full car price. I had my car for free, that was fun 🙂.  

Besides my current free car,... I already pre-ordered, the Tri-motor Tesla Cybertruck, with the $100 down-payment. I don´t mind waiting a few years, but it will be great to drive a unique Zombie-apocalypse pickup.

Edited by berkshiremystery

1 hour ago, berkshiremystery said:

Besides my current free car,... I already pre-ordered, the Tri-motor Tesla Cybertruck, with the $100 down-payment. I don´t mind waiting a few years, but it will be great to drive a unique Zombie-apocalypse pickup.

That Cybertruck has got to be the most uglyist, dumbest, hideous thing that was ever put on four wheels. To me it looks like it was cobbled together out of scrap metal by some guy in his back yard.  But I guess as they say ... 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. When is the other $100 due? 🙂Cybertruck at Texas EV factory.

1 hour ago, cwericb said:

That Cybertruck has got to be the most uglyist, dumbest, hideous thing that was ever put on four wheels. To me it looks like it was cobbled together out of scrap metal by some guy in his back yard.  But I guess as they say ... 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. When is the other $100 due? 🙂Cybertruck at Texas EV factory.

Jennifer-Jo Kilpatrick - Metro Jacksonville | Professional Profile |  LinkedIn

24 minutes ago, cwericb said:

So beauty isn't Frank Gehry, Zaha Hadid or Daniel Libeskind in architecture neither, which are pritzker prize architects, while be still admire rustic country style homes, the sorts of Ralph Lauren in the Hamptons. I consider looking at an American GE washing machine, like visual eye-cancer, plain ugly,... compared to a European Miele, or a British Dyson fan (James Dyson). Some iconic European designer electronics are part of the permanent exhibition at the MOMA in New York, and its no wonder that Steve Jobs admired Jony Ive, Dieter Rams (BRAUN). Look, I tell you bluntly, I am an introvert and usually research very deeply, like the deep sea oil drillers, in Armageddon. In Beverly Hills luxury mansions are certain European minimalistic design brands, that are part of every basic European household, but the heartland American can't distinguish chick vs trash. 

spacer.png

Its still mind boggling, that Steve Ballmer didn't understood the iPhone eco-system in 2007 !!!