Car recommendation

hasilp89

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, LearningMachine said:

How are the the reliability issues with Subarus, e.g. head gasket issues due to the boxer engine, transmission & oil consumption as mileage goes up? 

I think, that those issues were related to a very specific engines and years, also boxer diesel, which they already discontinued, but yes I also read that some of their cars from particular years had such issues. Otherwise they are made to be very practical and resilient, dirt proof, etc. But also noisy and very light on materials/fancy/comfort stuff. Probably it is hard not to find similar reliability problem stories with different manufacturers these days, but perhaps then Honda still has very good reputation?

Edited by UK

2 hours ago, Parsad said:

The Outback and Forester are great...but we don't have alot of dealer/service support in Vancouver for the brand.  Don't know enough about the Q8, but my brother bought a Q7 which is very nice for the family.  Cheers!

I am sure Q7 is very nice and good car!

But what else is funny with Q8 is that it shares the same platform with Lamborghini Urus, so one could argue, that Q8 fanciest and most expensive version, which is Q8 RS, is actually cheapest:)). I think it should qualify then for value buy, with approx 50 per cent margin of safety:)))

https://www.hotcars.com/heres-why-the-audi-rs-q8-is-a-better-buy-than-the-lamborghini-urus/

52 minutes ago, fareastwarriors said:

Look at all these sensible recommendations...you know this is a value investing board for sure.

I actually think we’re a bit fancy bunch, expected to get some shade for my life choices, some mustachians to argue for a 1995 Corolla / Schwinn bike purchased on Craigslist or something.

it’s a bull market when a bunch of value guys are buying year old bimmers and new SUV’s 😂

37 minutes ago, thepupil said:

I actually think we’re a bit fancy bunch, expected to get some shade for my life choices, some mustachians to argue for a 1995 Corolla / Schwinn bike purchased on Craigslist or something.

it’s a bull market when a bunch of value guys are buying year old bimmers and new SUV’s 😂

I used to own old Honda or Nissan, but then changed my mind on this "cigar butt car ownership style" not least due to: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collision_avoidance_system

I don't need or even like any assistance in driving (can even use manual gearbox:)), but this "automatic braking" is really important and it works (have "tried" several times). At night, or if you are distracted, sometimes it just sees and acts faster. It is usual feature for newer (soon will be mandatory for all new cars), but most older-cheaper just do not have it.

Edited by UK

1 hour ago, thepupil said:

That's over at the Bogleheads forum. Multi-millionaires asking questions like if they can afford a 20k car

:classic_laugh:

Edited by fareastwarriors

3 hours ago, thepupil said:

True, so true!  Hey, I avoided buying a car last year and this year, as I felt it would be in bad taste with the pandemic. 

On another note, nobody questions Buffett's or Prem's choice to use private jets...comfort, convenience, security, efficiency.  It's no different when multi-millionaires think the same way about their cars.  I drive to the office three-four days a week, and unfortunately the office is a good 50 minutes (non-rush hour) from my home each way.  If I can get there safely, in comfort, then I'm ok with spending money on a 2-3 year old luxury car/suv.  

Now spending $15K for a watch or $2K for a bottle of wine...yeah, those are lifestyle choices I would have to question and can't get behind.  Unless they are collectors...then that is a different ball of wax.  A Timex and two-buck chuck is fine for me!  Cheers!

13 hours ago, LearningMachine said:

How are the the reliability issues with Subarus, e.g. head gasket issues due to the boxer engine, transmission & oil consumption as mileage goes up? 

So far no issues. My wife has ~90k miles on the car. Mileage is better than 30 mpg ( we drive a lot around town), better than my Hyundai Elantra  (which is a few years older but has the same mileage).

With 2 little kids that car wont remain new for long!  

Old Chinese saying - "He who has little kids should not buy new car."

I would wait until this car bubble blows over.  Used cars could really plummet in price.  

At least as of a few years ago Toyota and Honda had the most reliable cars.  Likely due to engineers running the company and great Japanese culture rather than marketing or finance guys.  

The Honda CRV is great.  

On 9/1/2021 at 1:50 AM, Parsad said:

True, so true!  Hey, I avoided buying a car last year and this year, as I felt it would be in bad taste with the pandemic. 

On another note, nobody questions Buffett's or Prem's choice to use private jets...comfort, convenience, security, efficiency.  It's no different when multi-millionaires think the same way about their cars.  I drive to the office three-four days a week, and unfortunately the office is a good 50 minutes (non-rush hour) from my home each way.  If I can get there safely, in comfort, then I'm ok with spending money on a 2-3 year old luxury car/suv.  

Now spending $15K for a watch or $2K for a bottle of wine...yeah, those are lifestyle choices I would have to question and can't get behind.  Unless they are collectors...then that is a different ball of wax.  A Timex and two-buck chuck is fine for me!  Cheers!

Agreed.  I'm a bundle of contradictions.  I'll drive new luxury SUV, but I struggled with buying an Apple Watch, it seemed like such a waste when my $50 watch told the time just fine.  I compromised by buying the SE version last year instead of the expensive one.   Every time I go out to mow the lawn my wife asks me why we don't just hire someone, but I just don't think of myself as one of "those people" who don't do their own work around the yard and house.

On 8/31/2021 at 10:12 PM, mcliu said:

Which car has the most comfortable seats?

We have the Lexus NX, it's nice and reliable but the finishing is not great like German cars, and the f-sport seat suck so bad.

I had a Saab that had the absolutely most comfortable seats. I have never sat in any other car seat that comes close.

• 5 months later...
On 8/28/2021 at 1:47 PM, hasilp89 said:

Any good recs for a new car. Need something for a toddler and a new one on the way. Thinking SUV or large sedan. Not looking to spend a fortune and want something that will last. Preferably hybrid. Would typically buy used but with pricing where it is think a new car is prob worth it. 

Closing this out. We went with the Kia carnival. Ordered one in Jan, started reading orders weren’t actually getting filled so started looking at available inventory. Very limited and went with a dealer 2.5 hrs away in the boonies. Initially asked $10k over msrp, ended up at $5k. Dealer experience was horrible. Not surprised folks prefer online. Couldn’t help but feel like they were trying to eff me over every step of the way. While I’m long ABG and know they are different from the average mom and pop dealer in terms of customer satisfaction and execution, one bad dealer experience can change buying habits for a lifetime. Something to keep an eye on. 

7 hours ago, hasilp89 said:

Closing this out. We went with the Kia carnival. Ordered one in Jan, started reading orders weren’t actually getting filled so started looking at available inventory. Very limited and went with a dealer 2.5 hrs away in the boonies. Initially asked $10k over msrp, ended up at $5k. Dealer experience was horrible. Not surprised folks prefer online. Couldn’t help but feel like they were trying to eff me over every step of the way. While I’m long ABG and know they are different from the average mom and pop dealer in terms of customer satisfaction and execution, one bad dealer experience can change buying habits for a lifetime. Something to keep an eye on. 

Congratulations on the Kia!  They make great cars.

I've held off replacing my car.  Prices at dealers are crazy right now, and I always loved the 0%, no down financings.  I don't want to pay a penny if I'm borrowing the money.  You can't find those right now. 

So, I'll keep driving my BMW 3-series until I find the deal I want after things calm down...maybe later in the year, maybe next year now.  Still looks like new and drives great!  Cheers!

Thanks! I hope it maintains well. yes it definitely pained us to pay over asking with mediocre financing but my wife was still driving a 2007 Ford Focus with a check engine light and deployed side air bags, not the safest thing for two young kids. She loved it though and was sad to part with it! I had a 335, it’s lot of fun to drive, a lot quicker than my Prius 😭

I haven’t totally been keeping tabs on the car situation. But dropping my car off for basic service tonight after a long trip. And it’s like woah. This lot is typically packed with new cars. Packed. Now? Half a row is all the new car inventory. What the fuck is going on? It’s completely empty minus a half row of new and a bunch of shitty old trade ins maybe numbering two dozen. 

22452B61-C3CF-4A99-99BD-9C1B5977F5B6.jpeg

Bought a Kia Telluride SX Limited one year ago. Probably worth more today than what I paid for it in March 2021.

Excellent vehicle that competes well with SUV's by Volvo, Land Rover, etc for thousands less.

The first problem is finding one and some dealers have been charging thousands over MSRP.  Kia has never been able to keep up with demand. It was introduced in 2019 and is still rated as the top seven seater by Car & Driver or Motor Trend.

This is my second Kia SUV and zero complaints. A Kia/Hyundai advantage is that they use a higher grade of steel - helps when you are the only car maker that produces its own steel.

Edited by cwericb

By most accounts, the semiconductor related shortage should subside in the second half of 2022, but now we have to deal with other shortages. The German car manufacturers are hit by disruption of cable assemblies from Ukraine, which will take 2-3 month to work through fully by some accounts. Then we have issues steel (high prices and perhaps shortages of some qualities as well) and a host of other things. I still think that towards the second half of this year some stuff will subside but who knows. I would hate having to buy a car in this environment.

Was dealing online with a dealer negotiating on a recent used Mercedes-Benz. When he found out I didn't have a trade and was paying cash, he dropped me like a hot potato. They like the kick back on the financing and all the dealers around here are advertising "We want to buy your car!" We have acres of empty car lots at the dealers around here and dealers are desperate for cars. However, in talking to some, they say that sales are not that bad considering the waiting list for new cars. Order now for November/December delivery. Interesting times.