Car recommendation

hasilp89

I vote for Lexus/Toyota. I bought my 2003 4Runner in 2008 with 50k miles and it just turned over 250k miles and is still running great. The only thing that’s been replaced over the years is oil, brakes, batteries, belts, plugs, tires and 1 radiator. Same starter, alternator, water pump, etc. It’s been an amazing truck.  

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kia Telluride - if you are lucky enough to find one. I lucked out, traded my 2016 Kia Sorento and ordered a Telluride in February with all the bells and whistles and got it in April. Light coloured Napa leather is beautiful as is the suede headliner.

Highest rating Consumer Reports has given a vehicle, has won numerous awards for quality, and Car & Driver, Motor Trend, etc have all raved about them. Some of the magazine testers liked it so much they even went out and bought one for themselves.

The Telluride has been in production since 2019 and yet some dealers are still getting thousands over MSRP. Saw a year old one with 30K on it advertized for more than I paid new.

Love the HUD where speed, speed limits, map directions, lane keeping, etc are all projected onto the windshield. Car will actually drive itself, but Kia has it set that it sounds a warning if your hands are off the wheel for more than 15 seconds. Lights are all LED and are very bright. Heated and cooled front and 2nd row seats are nice and third row stays down for our Greyhound.

This is my second Kia and they are well built vehicles. Fit and finish are way above their price range and in four years with the Sorento had no problems. But Kia wouldn't offer a five year Canadian (10 in the US?) bumper to bumper warranty on a poorly built vehicle. Have a VW Eos retractable hard top for a toy, but a Porsche is beckoning.

The choice really revolves around whether the new car is going to be electric or gasoline. After that there are lots of choices.

Today the real value of leasing, is ability to give the car back. Rid yourself of the old EV tech in X years. Rid yourself of the very real possibility that in X years, the resale value of the SUV has dropped like a brick. When every 2nd person on your street either has an EV or is thinking of getting one - to persuade someone to take yesterdays gas guzzling SUV you are going to have to drop the price.

Manufacturer/dealer leases are designed to move metal, the aim is to break-even net of distribution costs. Most are poorly designed, easily exploitable, and wide open to an 'enterprizing lad' with a head for numbers. A fleet manager will be more than happy to create 'a fleet of one' for you, complete with fuel and oil card to track maintanance. Create your own company, deduct the car lease and office costs against WFH income 2 days/wk 😀 

Point? It's not just wheels, there are a whole suite of other considerations as well. 

SD 

I was reading about Fiskers the other day and they look really interesting, but haven't they gone broke once already? It seems to be a big risk to deal with a small company as much as I like their product. You have to consider parts availability. That is why I had a Corvette for a a few years rather than something a little more exotic as if I was traveling I knew I would never be too far from a GM dealer.

They've got an entirely different and scalable business model now than they did back a decade ago. But there is a bit of a risk that its a Delorean. Looks awesome for $40k but I guess if it didnt look awesome at the concept/pre sales phase then it wouldn't have a chance. 

Guys I recommend a X3, I bought a 2019 10 month old X3M40i and this car is fun and not that expensive! Plenty of space if my nephew and my nieces visit me or if my parents are visiting. Acceleration is on par with the 335i I owned previously! Build quaility is superb.  A friend of mine bought a Tesla X and there are worlds between! I wouldn't swap if he pays me 50k...

I just got a used 2018 Tesla Model 3 with full self drive, because I am going to have a commute here soon. I’m not a car or vehicle lover at all, But I gotta say that thing is so fun to drive. Really I mean its fun to be driven around, the self driving is insane, takes care of almost all of the driving. It’s so relaxing to be able to sit comfortable like you were a passenger in the driver seat. The technology is mind blowing, I wouldn't invest in Tesla stock but owning the car actually seems like a good value! And they are pretty good looking! 

A1000339-E75B-4A11-A44D-0D2189EC882E.thumb.jpeg.7ee234ac59389f36d7d4efaedf476a92.jpeg

6 hours ago, Fitz said:

I just got a used 2018 Tesla Model 3 with full self drive, because I am going to have a commute here soon. I’m not a car or vehicle lover at all, But I gotta say that thing is so fun to drive. Really I mean its fun to be driven around, the self driving is insane, takes care of almost all of the driving. It’s so relaxing to be able to sit comfortable like you were a passenger in the driver seat. The technology is mind blowing, I wouldn't invest in Tesla stock but owning the car actually seems like a good value! And they are pretty good looking! 

A1000339-E75B-4A11-A44D-0D2189EC882E.thumb.jpeg.7ee234ac59389f36d7d4efaedf476a92.jpeg

Has technology gone too far? 😁

On 8/28/2021 at 2:28 PM, thepupil said:

any reason not to Just buy a new Toyota/Lexus, Hyundai/Genesis and HODL?

That's what I've always done.  I drove my 96' 4Runner for 11 years, then drove my '06 Sequoia for 10 years, now I'm driving a 2019 Lexus GX460 and I expect to be driving it into the 2030s.

I am looking at RAV4 Plug in hybrid. "Looking at" means I've thought about it for two months without doing anything. I hate buying cars.

Rav4 phev seems a good alternative to all plug in. 40 something miles on electric and no range worries. And people say that 40+ is  a legitimate number regardless of speed, air conditioning etc. $7500 tax credit. Best acceleration of any Toyota, I think.

Minivans are great btw. So practical. No, not a lot of fun. But for hauling kids and kids stuff and every other type of stuff they are very useful. Up until you've moved your kid into an apartment for the last time. We have an Odyssey. 

Yeah, I was looking at the RAV4 prime too.  Hard to find.  IDK man I might just get a Tacoma.  I've been driving a truck and  every morning when I wake up my jaw is stronger and my traps are bigger. 

I would like to consider an F150 lightning, but IDK about the first generation of a EV made by Ford.  I suppose at least they have a service infrastructure in place.

Edited by CorpRaider

9 hours ago, mcliu said:

How good is the Tesla self driving compared to the autonomous features on other premium cars? 

Not sure how any of the others ones are, Waymo is doing lvl 5 self drive in two cities right now, they are the boy ones doing that right now, with no driver at all. Tesla is going lvl 2-3 and getting an insane amount of user generated feedback and corrections to build there system up. They are also only using cameras which are cheap and easier to include on all vehicles where Waymo has a pretty advanced LIDAR setup and costs several hundred thousand dollars, so it wouldn't work for personal vehicles as well as the taxi or commercial application. What I do know, is Tesla’s is really good and ob the freeways I have never needed to give it any corrections. Around town sometimes it does some weird things. 

22 hours ago, villainx said:

I love mini vans.  And currently have an early 2010s Sienna.  Great ride for growing fam.  

Depending on how often you upgrade, if possible, get a hitch for whichever car for your future bike transporting needs.

Ha!  I like mini vans too...great for long trips.  But my family will never sit in one if I got one!  Cheers!

No one mentions Toyota Venza yet?  The redesigned 2021 model is so beautiful.  The dashboard, large screen, the finish... i am in the market too and trying to decide between Venza and the 2022 Lexus NX, which will be released soon.

I've got a 2013 CRV which is still kicking.

9 years on and I've only put 12k miles on it so you can tell how little I drive. 1.5K of that was driving out NY-CO and the majority of the remainder was in the last few years driving Denver to the mountains. 

Therefore, the best car is an Uber/Lyft.

3 hours ago, LC said:

9 years on and I've only put 12k miles on it so you can tell how little I drive. 1.5K of that was driving out NY-CO and the majority of the remainder was in the last few years driving Denver to the mountains. 

Want to sell your CRV? 

5 hours ago, UK said:

Subaru Outback or Forester for value

On 8/28/2021 at 1:26 PM, Spekulatius said:

I can vouch for Subarus. My wife drives the Forester. totally reliable and drives like a train on tracks in bad weather. Very reliable too and well made. My next one will likely be a Subaru too.

How are the the reliability issues with Subarus, e.g. head gasket issues due to the boxer engine, transmission & oil consumption as mileage goes up? 

Edited by LearningMachine

7 hours ago, LC said:

The 2022 CRV looks amazing!  The outside and inside design looks more akin to their sister-brand Acura.  The sheet metal looks alot like a RDX.  Cheers!

7 hours ago, UK said:

Subaru Outback or Forester for value, Audi Q8 for growth/quality:)))

The Outback and Forester are great...but we don't have alot of dealer/service support in Vancouver for the brand.  Don't know enough about the Q8, but my brother bought a Q7 which is very nice for the family.  Cheers!