Car recommendation

hasilp89

Any good recs for a new car. Need something for a toddler and a new one on the way. Thinking SUV or large sedan. Not looking to spend a fortune and want something that will last. Preferably hybrid. Would typically buy used but with pricing where it is think a new car is prob worth it. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are about to graduate to the land of SUVs as well. 2021 VW Tiguan is our current front runner on practical and value. I don't believe there is a hybrid of it in the US. Others we tried are X5, Honda CRV, Kia Sorento, Nissan Rogue. X5 is my personal favorite but the price is holding me back. Nissan Rogue is probably the worst car I've driven in a long time. 

Lease a new hybrid EV from a Toyota, Volvo, etc for 4-5 yrs.

Interest rates are low, gas costs will be 40-60% less, insurance will be less, no need to install/find charging stations, and no battery replacement/disposal problem. 5 years out both the tech and the deals will be a lot better than they are today.

Stick to what you need, know your budget, change depreciation rate to get to it.

Most times, you will avoid 'too much car', and make a profit at end of lease (buy out at BV and resell at a higher price).

The dealer will also make more from the deal over the life of the lease. 

SD

Edited by SharperDingaan

I bought my current Lexus in my mid 20s. 2014 brand new. Knew that 1) I was wasting money, 2) I was young so it wouldnt matter 3) it would make up the $55k on the front end by lasting a good while and being reliable on the back end. Everything, and I mean everything has gone as planned. Great car. 

Also had a Jeep but with the 3rd kid needed a bigger car. Over my dead body will a mini van be in the driveway. Got a Traverse Premier just off lease with 20k miles for $30k. All around solid. Also looked at the Highlander and longer term will probably regret not getting it or just go ahead and get it. Toyotas are great. 

Also honorable mention to Mazdas and Subarus. Top notch cars that often go under the radar but its basically the car of choice for people who aint total cheapskates but also dont want to waste money on the typical luxury stuff. 

Another big Toyota fan here (I drive a 200 series Land Cruiser and a Tacoma).  However, it should be noted that Toyota has a lot of models out currently that are very old and about to be replaced with much newer platforms.  I think the Highlander and Rav4 are fairly recent tech though.  I certainly would not buy a Sequoia, Tundra or Lexus LX570 until next model year.  Hyundai/Kia are putting out some very good SUVs as well.

I can vouch for Subarus. My wife drives the Forester. totally reliable and drives like a train on tracks in bad weather. Very reliable too and well made. My next one will likely be a Subaru too.

I don’t think you can go wrong with  Toyota or Honda either. I would drive a bunch of them and see what you like best.

Edited by Spekulatius

2 hours ago, Gregmal said:

I bought my current Lexus in my mid 20s. 2014 brand new. Knew that 1) I was wasting money, 2) I was young so it wouldnt matter 3) it would make up the $55k on the front end by lasting a good while and being reliable on the back end. Everything, and I mean everything has gone as planned. Great car. 

@GregmalThere are moments where I think we are very different, and then there are moments like these.

I have an RX and just bought an ES. In each case, a touch more than Highlander/Camry (I get the less optioned up ones, ~$40k each after incentives/negotiation etc.

I recently read the average ES buyer is like 65. Since I rock boomer stocks, might as well rock the boomer car. 

x3 has nearly same room as x5... way cheaper.. The kia telluride is very large inside. Tiguan is a great value with tons more room than other models with the same foot print plus the rear seat slides forward or back. I believe if you go back to a 2019 vw you get the 6 yr /72 k bumper to bumper, if its certified its 7 yr 84k. Got the lady a 19 last year w 11k miles certified. 

I really like the land rover discovery for in warranty... tons of room.. looks good.. great motor. Prob my next ride... that or the new bronco four door is the hard tops not squeaky. 

We're in the market for something similar.  As far as SUVs go we've owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a GMC Terrain.  Both are too small for what we need now.  I will never own a Jeep product again.

We're looking for something with third row seats (van with denial issues).  Kia and Hyundai get great reviews, but don't seem to get any love.

The biggest knock against some Toyota models (Tundra and Sequoia) are they are on really dated designs (could be a good thing for reliability).

Ford and GM options seem stupid expensive for what you get.  

Edited by JRM

13 minutes ago, flesh said:

x3 has nearly same room as x5... way cheaper.. The kia telluride is very large inside. Tiguan is a great value with tons more room than other models with the same foot print plus the rear seat slides forward or back. I believe if you go back to a 2019 vw you get the 6 yr /72 k bumper to bumper, if its certified its 7 yr 84k. Got the lady a 19 last year w 11k miles certified. 

I really like the land rover discovery for in warranty... tons of room.. looks good.. great motor. Prob my next ride... that or the new bronco four door is the hard tops not squeaky. 

Flesh, I think we've been looking at exactly the same cars.  I've got the X3 as first in line, but I also like the Telluride.  Tiguan is a bit smaller than those two, so I don't think it will work out.  Looked at the Velar and Defender, but couldn't justify the price tag compared to the X3 and Telluride.  I really kind of like the Bronco and price, but the roof issues worries me a bit.  Also thought about a Wrangler...Audi Q5...really liked the Macan, but the rear seats were too small...and even a Volvo XC60, but didn't like the interior.

Also, prefer to buy 2-3 years old with less than 40K km...sometimes you get lucky and the previous owner has bought the extended warranty you get free.  I might wait until 2022 as there are a bunch of new SUV's coming out, plus the Telluride will be nearly 2-3 years old.  Also don't like how used car prices have risen recently alongside new car prices.  Cheers!

5 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

Based on the used vehicle prices I have seen lately, one is better off buying new. Buying 2-3 year old cars with a bit of warranty remaining is typically a sweet spot, but not so much lately.

I traded my 18 f150 with 48k miles for a brand new nicer silverado for $5k plus fees and taxes. I made about $8k on the f150 driving for 2 years and putting 25k miles on it. GM was still offering employee pricing a couple months ago when I did the deal. Wacky stuff going on in the used market.

Do not buy a Hyundai. My wife and I just bought a used 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid for $10,600 with 90,000 miles. Exactly 15 days later the gas engine seized up and needs to be replaced at a cost of $10,000. No joke. There is a class action lawsuit about these engines, and we're still fighting with the dealership/Hyundai to get them to approve the repair. Even if they pay, it'll take 8 more weeks from approval for it to be completed. 

I have a 2006 Prius that has been great. Next time I'm just going to buy another Prius.

I'm never buying another Hyundai. 

Edited by Morgan

31 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Do not buy a Hyundai. My wife and I just bought a used 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid for $10,600 with 90,000 miles. Exactly 15 days later the gas engine seized up and needs to be replaced at a cost of $10,000. No joke. There is a class action lawsuit about these engines, and we're still fighting with the dealership/Hyundai to get them to approve the repair. Even if they pay, it'll take 8 more weeks from approval for it to be completed. 

I have a 2006 Prius that has been great. Next time I'm just going to buy another Prius.

I'm never buying another Hyundai. 

that sounds miserable. I guess a 2012 could be older than 10 years now, so it wasn't covered under the 10/100K powertrain warranty, or did they not have that then? 

45 minutes ago, gfp said:

Sanjeev - definitely do not buy a Defender. They are horrible. 

No, not going to buy one...I can't justify the price...especially when the Bronco is essentially a Defender without the locking differential and nice interior at half the price.  I had an X1 previously, and I've got a 320i right now...most likely going to be an X3.  I love the braking, handling and quality of BMW...as well as their service department.  Unless I can find something clearly superior, I'll stick to tried and true.  I just need something more roomy again, as my back is acting up as I get older...I'd prefer to now start getting into cars bum first, rather than legs first...the 320i is quite low, as was my Mini Cooper.  Even the X1 rides lower than an X3 and I plan on going on more road trips...so we need more room in the back seats while maintaining luggage space.  Cheers!

34 minutes ago, Parsad said:

Nobody here is buying Tesla's Cybertruck?  🙂  I've got a friend who put a deposit down on one.  Either this is going to be amazing or this era's AMC Gremlin!  Cheers!

That's an insult to the Gremlin.  There won't be a Cybertruck.  At least not anything close to what was "revealed" two years ago.

Lots of good feedback. Thank you.

2 hours ago, flesh said:

x3 has nearly same room as x5... way cheaper.. 

disagree for my needs, my brother has both, rear facing car seats = no leg room upfront in the x3

6 hours ago, SharperDingaan said:

Lease a new hybrid EV from a Toyota, Volvo, etc for 4-5 yrs.

have typically thought leasing was for schmucks but am reconsidering. 12k/year mileage limit feels constraining

6 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Over my dead body will a mini van be in the driveway

I’m resigned to my wife’s wishes here. As pong as it’s not my primary drive it’ll be fine.

6 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Also looked at the Highlander and longer term will probably regret not getting it or just go ahead and get it.

I’m leaning this way.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

have a 2006 Prius that has been great

I have a 2016, loved it so far, just need more room at this point. 

I just hate putting money into worthless junk and at a very basic level any car over the minimum is just a complete waste as they all eventually become scrap(except for the collectors stuff)...Most car purchases incorporate ego...I dont really care what folks think of me when I drive. If you do look down on me...cool. I may get out of my looked down upon car in a pair of sweat pants you also frown upon, wearing a watch thats worth more than your car...who knows? I just think theyre poor use of money so you want to get as much longevity out of it as possible. So the Toyota cars that can get 300k miles and then still because theyre so numerous/common can replace old parts with commonly available scrap or even a new engine for like $5k..awesome. The Lexus(yea the RX is probably the best car in the world SUV wise) is basically the best combination of value and ego satisfaction around. $50k for 15 years with minimum maintenance/high reliability is hard to complain about. 

On leasing, I actually used that trick on my Jeep. Never had a problem with the car other than a 3rd child didnt work with 5 seats...but you get a sick lease deal around the holiday blowout deals and then buy it out into a 7 year loan. Had a 2015 Grand Cherokee for $196 a month..ran the miles up without a care cuz I was buying it all along, and then financed it after 39 months into an 84 month loan at like $350 a month. 

Just fyi, the tiguan is much larger inside than an x3, and the rear seat slides for/aft in the tiguan, ofc the x3 is better at everything else. The tiguan has really won me over though... much more german feeling than I thought you'd get at that price point. I have them in the garage. It's the first suv I've seen that didn't waste space. 

Also, the bronco does come with locking diff's if you get the sasquatch package.. it'll likely outdo a defender on the gnar. I wouldn't get it though... big bend package if I get it... sasquatch is 35 inch tires big bend 31.6... slightly bigger than stock tacoma... good enough. Def getting the twin turbo six though, had that motor in a f150 and it's a beast.