Ida aims to hit Louisiana on Hurricane Katrina anniversary

DooDiligence

Thanks DD.  Definitely one to keep an eye on for insurance investors as well.  And Generac shareholders of course...

We're in Nola.  The storm looks to be headed west of us but we'll see how it works out.  I like to keep an eye on these things over at the wxdisco.com forums.  Lots of great Meteorology nerds over there -

https://wxdisco.com/forums/topic/2311-2021-cat-1-hurricane-ida-winds-85-mph-984-mb-nw-16-rapid-intensification/page/26/

I'll post an update on Sunday / Monday if anything interesting transpires.  If you see an incredibly handsome gray haired fella with a standard poodle paddle by in a canoe on CNN, that's me.

2 hours ago, gfp said:

Thanks DD.  Definitely one to keep an eye on for insurance investors as well.  And Generac shareholders of course...

We're in Nola.  The storm looks to be headed west of us but we'll see how it works out.  I like to keep an eye on these things over at the wxdisco.com forums.  Lots of great Meteorology nerds over there -

https://wxdisco.com/forums/topic/2311-2021-cat-1-hurricane-ida-winds-85-mph-984-mb-nw-16-rapid-intensification/page/26/

I'll post an update on Sunday / Monday if anything interesting transpires.  If you see an incredibly handsome gray haired fella with a standard poodle paddle by in a canoe on CNN, that's me.

This one looks bad. East is the least favorable quadrant.

Here's to hoping it wobbles even further west and that BRK hasn't written much in the sunbelt.

-

My neighbor bought one of these last week,

https://generark.com/products/home-emergency-power-supply

-

Thanks for the link. Coincidentally, I plan on taking Meteorology as my physical science next semester.

-

I hope your canoe stays dry.

Edited by DooDiligence

Just checking in here after the storm.  The hurricane took a little jog eastward near New Orleans, which brought the higher winds a lot closer to the metro area than many expected.  It was certainly intense!  We lost some shingles and need a new roof (thanks USAA), not too bad overall.  Rental properties fared OK but some enormous Sycamore trees came down on a 5-plex we own in the 7th ward.  Smashed out a few windows, glass and water everywhere inside that apartment.  Tree punctured through the siding clear through the kitchen counter backsplash.  Sheared the power meter right off the house.  But no structural damage.  A fence I built supported the weight of half the sycamore tree without budging so I'm pretty proud of that fence.  A few days of chainsaw-ing, emptying out tenant fridge/freezers, covering roofs and patching windows and we are pretty much squared away now.  Most of the city has no power but it is coming back little by little.  Gasoline is hard to come by but available here and there if you are willing to wait in super long lines (I am not).

The New Orleans federal levee system performed well and the drainage pumps continued functioning on generator power despite loss of almost all their power feeds. No flooding in most of the city.

Looking around I would assume there will be quite a few wind/homeowners/business claims.  Lots of warehouses ripped up, many - maybe most? - roofs need replacing.  Structural damage of residences is not widespread.  Collapsed structures are mostly blighted homes or a bad luck tree/power pole take-out.

Crazy to see that 3 days over land later and that storm was still fucking shit up in the northeast.  Yikes!

Anyway - not too bad here in New Orleans but as always this will be a lot tougher on the poorest residents of our city.

pro tip - if you live in an area that has frequent disasters get Verizon.  Every other company was useless and Verizon was rock solid through the entire thing.  (or don't live in an area with frequent disasters but that's no fun).

IDA made it to the Northeast and caused flash floods there. I think more people (44!) died in NY and NJ than in Louisiana:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/new-york-city-mayor-declares-state-emergency-after-record-breaking-rain-2021-09-02/

We had some heavy rain falls in my area but nothing out of the ordinary.

Edited by Spekulatius

Yes I think only 9 people have died in Louisiana so far?  Unfortunately a few more will die from carbon monoxide, heat, etc.  New Orleans is ahead of the curve on flood prevention now - levees, floodgates and pumps.  If only they could get some power to those pumps reliably...  They run on some ancient power standard.