OCC - Optical Cable Corporation

Ted Weschler, one of the best people out there (Performance wise , his track record is insane) has a 10% stake in OPTICal cable Corp (OCC)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4277433-ted-weschler-and-neil-wilkin-story-optical-cable-corporation

No one seems to have the investment case to this. Weschler is in this for 3 years now and bought for current prices. He bought 2 times at 5%. After those 13Fs the stock went up big and then again after time down to the price of Weschler again ( where he recharged ). In May we reached those prices again. Yesterday the volume was 80x as high as average (with a jump of 14%). 

If one of the best of the world has a 10% position my ears are wide open. Perhaps anyone here has a clue what kinda play / investment case is behind this?

There seems to be no writeup other than seeking alpha, and even the guy their ( contacted him ) said, he has no clue what is Ted Weschler playing here . Perhaps some takeover play ... 

Anyone who has more insight into this perhaps could share his view on OCC? Would be highly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, RetroRanger said:

Ted Weschler, one of the best people out there (Performance wise , his track record is insane) has a 10% stake in OPTICal cable Corp (OCC)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4277433-ted-weschler-and-neil-wilkin-story-optical-cable-corporation

No one seems to have the investment case to this. Weschler is in this for 3 years now and bought for current prices. He bought 2 times at 5%. After those 13Fs the stock went up big and then again after time down to the price of Weschler again ( where he recharged ). In May we reached those prices again. Yesterday the volume was 80x as high as average (with a jump of 14%). 

If one of the best of the world has a 10% position my ears are wide open. Perhaps anyone here has a clue what kinda play / investment case is behind this?

There seems to be no writeup other than seeking alpha, and even the guy their ( contacted him ) said, he has no clue what is Ted Weschler playing here . Perhaps some takeover play ... 

Anyone who has more insight into this perhaps could share his view on OCC? Would be highly appreciated.

Noticed this as well. Ted is an enigma indeed. However, 10% of the company but <1% of his disclosed portfolio value.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, n.r98 said:

Noticed this as well. Ted is an enigma indeed. However, 10% of the company but <1% of his disclosed portfolio value.

Yes BUT if he would own more percentage, he would own the whole company 😄 thats the problem. 

Also if you only want to buy at his MoS price, than its hard to buy huge chunks due to iliquiditi of the stock.

Edited by RetroRanger

The company is based on Roanoke, Virginia which I believe is where Ted is from originally. I always assumed there was some sort of personal connection here for Ted as this investment seems like an anomaly for him to be taking a reporting personal stake in a microcap. Seems like a good chance this is just an investment for a friend and not indicative of a high conviction / high return potential investment. 

Yeah the metrics stink, looks like they specialize in harsh environment fiber optic cable, which I guess might be a product differentiator but you clearly don't see it in their financial results....here's an article I was able to dig up from 2007 that gives more context to their biz. I think Ted's connection to VA is Charlottesville, which isn't too far away from Roanoke.

https://www.occfiber.com/x_upload/news/files/1205502101_High_Speed_Comm_in_Harsh_Inv..pdf