Would you pay/crowdfund for good posts?

Would you pay/crowdfund for good posts?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay/crowdfund for good posts?

• Yes
    • No

A friend of mine, a frequenter of the forum remarks that my posts are sometimes reminiscent of a 10 year old's book report. I laugh because I agree, but I always thought it was not my "duty" to do the work, but rather provide insight on a topic that can lead one to the right direction. I never really used this forum for idea generation, probably only got one or two ideas from the forum. Also my investment research less calculative but involves more thinking and doing (such as trying out the products), hence I can't easily copy/paste my notes.

However, I seen really good posts that has a lot of research backed, but I don't necessarily agree with their conclusion. Either way, if there's a way where I can contribute to a fund, where we can award the best topic or directly "donate" to a contributor to really show my appreciation of them as a contributor, I see no reason not to do it. Hell, it may be a greater investment than some of my posts/contribution. We can even have a part of that fund or donation towards the website to subsidize the operation and if it's big enough, improve it.

I know that I spend a lot researching investments, and whenever I think of posting my entire research, it's easy 10 pages going from business to comps to unit economics. This is coming from a person who doesn't believe that they're research oriented, so it means complete research for anyone one of you could easily go passed that and I'm willing to pay for it.

This doesn't mean that I expect going forward that many posters will rush at a change to monetize on their posts, hell, I wouldn't as I have other priorities. However, I'm sure that there are other posters who has constraints from time and money, and may post more, if those constraints were loosen. If not, I'm sure it will attract more posters from varying backgrounds with hopefully wacky ideas.

So yes or no? Any reason not to do it?

I think that's different. I think this should be an open forum, and there shouldn't be a paywall. I don't think people are necessarily here to be paid for their research. It's work to develop a following - I'm saying let's remove the friction. Just as twitch streamers get paid for great streams, maybe we should start not necessarily paying but "donating" for a single post or awarding an idea from a crowdsource fund. That way great content brings great contributors, or vice versa. 

3 hours ago, valueinvestor said:

I think that's different. I think this should be an open forum, and there shouldn't be a paywall. I don't think people are necessarily here to be paid for their research. It's work to develop a following - I'm saying let's remove the friction. Just as twitch streamers get paid for great streams, maybe we should start not necessarily paying but "donating" for a single post or awarding an idea from a crowdsource fund. That way great content brings great contributors, or vice versa. 

Like a tip jar? 

Eh, personally I am pretty against seeking/being compensated for participation or content. I also agree with you and chuckle on the "10 year old book report" stuff. Sometimes thats all thats necessary. WS/finance people love sophisticated and complicated, detail oriented presentations, spreadsheets, and all that useless junk. Personally Ive found that quite often a 1-ft hurdle or really good investment is simple and easy to see. If you look at a lot of different stuff, you need to be able to filter it and take short cuts. So even then, you dont have to be precise...if something is trading at 65 and the focus is whether its worth 88, 96, 99, or 107, does it really matter the exact value or is "roughly 30-50% upside" all you need to know? Getting information out there and prompting conversation is what gets things moving and why places like this are great. If people want to get super granular, they can, thats fine too. If others dont have the time, that fine as well. If people think their thoughts are "too valuable" to waste here, who cares, fuck em. And if you really need the money, get a better full time job lol. 

For me, the main benefit of this forum is not to present a full fledged research report, it is crowdsource research. I post what (little) I know and hope that other posters add to it and fill in some blanks or prove me wrong.

I found this to be a hugely beneficial. I welcome full fledged research, but don't expect it here and think this is generally found behind some sort of paywall that supresses the crowdsourcing aspect that I think is more valuable.

That said, there is nothing wrong with a tip jar, some authors that publish research have those and I occasionally tipped.

6 hours ago, Gregmal said:

And if you really need the money, get a better full time job lol. 

Exactly! 

5 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

For me, the main benefit of this forum is not to present a full fledged research report, it is crowdsource research. I post what (little) I know and hope that other posters add to it and fill in some blanks or prove me wrong.

I found this to be a hugely beneficial. I welcome full fledged research, but don't expect it here and think this is generally found behind some sort of paywall that supresses the crowdsourcing aspect that I think is more valuable.

That said, there is nothing wrong with a tip jar, some authors that publish research have those and I occasionally tipped.

I thought so too, but a few people whine and gripe about the quality of the posts. I don't really see a decline, but an increase, especially in terms of how people think and view investments. For example, I learned a bit by reading your posts beyond idea generation. IMO, if one really wants more investable viable ideas, they should pay for it or hire an analyst. 

At the same time, I also realize that some are dropping off because there's not a lot of new "ideas." I think that's not a benefit, as it's in my experience, they have businesses or are execs of businesses and can provide real insight on the topic at hand. 

I'm fine either way, but I don't think we lose much by crowdfunding a monthly award and awarding it to the best idea of the month. One it may attract new users, and provide new ideas, which will bring about new discussion. 

Sometimes I feel this forum is a bit insular, and I can effectively predict how particular users will respond to a specific posts. It's kind of comedic and fun in its own way haha. 

Anyways, it seems that many are not passionate about this (neither am I) - I guess why fix something that's not broken right? 

Give me the opportunity set in 2009 through 2011 and I'll give you some good posts.  How do you know what a good post is?  Do you check back 1 or 5 years later to see if it worked out?  Does the end result correlate to the quality of the post?  

In my opinion if you can't explain the thesis simply in a few short sentences or bullet points then its not that good of an idea.

39 minutes ago, valueinvestor said:

Exactly! 

I thought so too, but a few people whine and gripe about the quality of the posts. I don't really see a decline, but an increase, especially in terms of how people think and view investments. For example, I learned a bit by reading your posts beyond idea generation. IMO, if one really wants more investable viable ideas, they should pay for it or hire an analyst. 

At the same time, I also realize that some are dropping off because there's not a lot of new "ideas." I think that's not a benefit, as it's in my experience, they have businesses or are execs of businesses and can provide real insight on the topic at hand. 

I'm fine either way, but I don't think we lose much by crowdfunding a monthly award and awarding it to the best idea of the month. One it may attract new users, and provide new ideas, which will bring about new discussion. 

Sometimes I feel this forum is a bit insular, and I can effectively predict how particular users will respond to a specific posts. It's kind of comedic and fun in its own way haha. 

Anyways, it seems that many are not passionate about this (neither am I) - I guess why fix something that's not broken right? 

Haha yea much of that is true. I would also point out that more often than not the people complaining about quality of posts often bring very little of anything, let alone quality, to the table themselves. For a while a few months ago I recall a few people who rarely posted anything, and when they did it was just politics, making this claim. Basically freeloaders wanting more free shit lol. I find the site a great collective resource much like Spek stated.

Same goes for people who complain that they dont find it useful for new ideas or dont find anything actionable/worthwhile....HUH?!?! Just in the past bit I can recall, you have shit ranging from wabuffo's masterful walkthrough on Garret Motion bankruptcy, to 150 bagger Enphase, or even boring shit like pupil and I talk about on AIV or JBGS....  people really cant find anything useful??? They're either full of it, lazy, or intellectually challenged. 

Even lately where the market has been fickle and ideas sparse, theres multiple ways to skin a cat. Ive been shorting PSTH puts for Aug/Sept. Its not sexy or going to be huge money, but 1.5-2.5% against the $20 liquidation inside of a few months is an OK IRR, better than nothing and pretty risk free. Its likely free cash because a deal probably doesnt close by then even if you announce Monday, or worst case you owns Bill's grand idea at a discount to IPO....You just have to look and not be lazy/scared. Understand that the market and ideas dont just fall into your lap on a platter and if you need to be in your comfort zone all the time you're going to underperform. 

If people want to complain about quality while freeloading themselves...who cares about people like that? If they cant find useful ideas or anything actionable in a literal sea of money being made...again, why is that anyone else's problem? If they're lazy, well start putting in the work. If they're bad investors or simply too risk averse for the market....well there's Cds and savings accounts....dont know what else to say. 

Edited by Gregmal

I recant my statement of implying it's not broken, but not accurately saying this board gets better and you're right, the freeloaders can complain about not having a free lunch, when lunch is right in front of them, well we can't do anything about that!

4 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Haha yea much of that is true. I would also point out that more often than not the people complaining about quality of posts often bring very little of anything, let alone quality, to the table themselves. For a while a few months ago I recall a few people who rarely posted anything, and when they did it was just politics, making this claim. Basically freeloaders wanting more free shit lol. I find the site a great collective resource much like Spek stated.

Same goes for people who complain that they dont find it useful for new ideas or dont find anything actionable/worthwhile....HUH?!?! Just in the past bit I can recall, you have shit ranging from wabuffo's masterful walkthrough on Garret Motion bankruptcy, to 150 bagger Enphase, or even boring shit like pupil and I talk about on AIV or JBGS....  people really cant find anything useful??? They're either full of it, lazy, or intellectually challenged. 

Even lately where the market has been fickle and ideas sparse, theres multiple ways to skin a cat. Ive been shorting PSTH puts for Aug/Sept. Its not sexy or going to be huge money, but 1.5-2.5% against the $20 liquidation inside of a few months is an OK IRR, better than nothing and pretty risk free. Its likely free cash because a deal probably doesnt close by then even if you announce Monday, or worst case you owns Bill's grand idea at a discount to IPO....You just have to look and not be lazy/scared. Understand that the market and ideas dont just fall into your lap on a platter and if you need to be in your comfort zone all the time you're going to underperform. 

If people want to complain about quality while freeloading themselves...who cares about people like that? If they cant find useful ideas or anything actionable in a literal sea of money being made...again, why is that anyone else's problem? If they're lazy, well start putting in the work. If they're bad investors or simply too risk averse for the market....well there's Cds and savings accounts....dont know what else to say. 

@Gregmal you have done it again!

Boring Shit Capital Partners

now if only I could send you a tip for naming my firm.