Rule 1 Workshops - Phil Town

grc1980

Hi,

Just a quick question here.  Has anyone here spent some of their hard earned $ in taking the Rule 1 Workshop by Phil Town? 

He pushes this a lot on his podcasts and as I'm on his mailing list, I keep getting updates on when these events are run.   They are currently priced at $297 for a 3 day-virtual workshop, so the question is... is there value in taking the workshop?

I'm hoping that taking these sessions, will help provide additional clarity to his process but I'm concerned that I'll just be revisiting the content of his books.

Thoughts?

I sat in on a course while I was pursuing my master's degree in finance.  The teacher was teaching a value investing course and was very outspoken about the traditional efficient market theory and CAPM that was being taught.  This class introduced me to Phil Town's books and methods (this was 2010 timeframe).  I continued my "value investor" education on my own, but around 2012-2013 timeframe I had the opportunity to attend a Rue #1 workshop for free in Atlanta.  My understanding is it wasn't too uncommon to get a free or mostly free seat at a workshop, at least at the time.

The workshop I attended was a little unusual because he invited an options trader (who I won't name).  The guy was teaching options trading strategies to generate cash flow which could then be deployed in value stocks.  His claim to fame was that Karen the Supertrader (look her up) was one of his students.  Within a few years she blew up big time (video below).

Anyways, when I was sitting in on the investing course we were screening stocks that fit the Rule #1 criteria.  All I can say is if I had put all of my money in a basket of these stocks most of them would have worked out big time over the next 8-10 years (Monster Beverage, Tractor Supply, Google, Apple, and probably a dozen more).  The only one I was big into was Apple, which ironically, Phil and the other guy shit on the whole weekend during the workshop.  I still have a picture somewhere of them talking shit on Apple stock while they were both using Macbook laptops on stage.

If you're a beginner investor, its not the worst way to dip your feet in the water and possibly meet some other people.  The workshop comes off a little like a self-help pump up session.  If you're a new investor and can afford the $300, then I would say its probably worth it.  Just understand its not always as easy as it sounds, and not everyone who attends his workshops is an investing legend.

Thanks your feedback has been very useful as I wanted to see if it was a session of real learning or something else...  

As I've only really been investing in my knowledge as a value investor properly over the past year, things are still new to me and with new knowledge there is always some doubt that you are doing things correctly.  So maybe for a $300 investment (along with forums such as this) to help give me some confidence that I'm on the right path, maybe it would be useful.

Watching this video about Karen, what can I say... I'm amazed that people fail to do the "sniff test" with claims "of they turned $100K to $41M."  When I see claims like this my first reaction is to be skeptical, because those outsized gains from small to no capital, in a short amount of time, just doesn't seem realistic, unless they win the lottery. 

This again is why your feedback has been useful to ensure that if you sign up for these 'courses' your not being sold a road to ruin.

Like I said, the workshop I attended was not the standard course and was kind of a "demo" for these options trading strategies.  I was already very familiar with options, but the course did talk about some things I thought were useful for thinking about scaling into and out of positions with options.  Anyways, I think if you sign up you should expect material closely based off of the books, but applied to current markets.

Edited by JRM

I done the three day course in the past and wouldn't recommend it. There are loads on the course, no idea how many but it could be 100 or more, you are put into groups of around 10 I think and assigned a tutor who runs through some notes for an hour or so then there is a presentation by one of the tutors. This format continues for the three days with Town occasionally doing a presentation.

They run through everything although it's very brief and quite basic, then try and show you how to screen using his own screening tool. They then mostly talked about options trading for the rest of the seminar. It seemed like most people in my group were novices who thought they'd be millionaires by the end of the month, I actually gave up for large parts of it because it was so basic.

He also tries to upsell his screening tool, 30 a month I think, and a further options trading strategy which is about 8k I think. If you've only been investing for a year and have studied a lot you probably know all the stuff he's going to tell you and I wouldn't bother

25 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

How does someone who has been actively on this site for a while get value from a Phil Town course? That stuff seems pretty basic, at least based on my first look.

Although it may be basic It is a good entry point for many. For myself I like to revisit the basics regularly. Because the "Basics" are what should be important in investing IMO. I personally believe its why so many people love warren. Because he is able to distill complex topics or concepts into their basic forms via analogies or stories. 

While I don't agree with everything Phil says I do listen to their podcast to learn and be reminded of the basics. Its why Pabrai has a following too. He only preaches the basics. 

4 hours ago, Longnose said:

Although it may be basic It is a good entry point for many. For myself I like to revisit the basics regularly. Because the "Basics" are what should be important in investing IMO. I personally believe its why so many people love warren. Because he is able to distill complex topics or concepts into their basic forms via analogies or stories. 

While I don't agree with everything Phil says I do listen to their podcast to learn and be reminded of the basics. Its why Pabrai has a following too. He only preaches the basics. 

Ok, yes, this makes sense.

I think he's just a salesman to be honest. He's got good chat and quite charming but he's trying to sell people the idea that it's easy to make money in markets and anyone can make a million in a few years. He has made a lot of money over the years but I'd question if that was from great investments or from great marketing of his course.

If you like something and are passionate about it, it will come to you on its own through curiosity and exploration. There's definitely WAYYYY more value in $300 worth of classic finance/stock market books out there, ranging from Reminisces of a Stock Operator, to Market Wizards, and everything in between. Most can be had for under $20. If you arent passionate about it, dont waste your time and money. 

In terms of a style of investing, well...just my opinion, but everyone needs to find their own, and then let it evolve with the market. Trying to mimic someone else will leave you chasing your tail. 

5 hours ago, Gregmal said:

If you like something and are passionate about it, it will come to you on its own through curiosity and exploration. There's definitely WAYYYY more value in $300 worth of classic finance/stock market books out there, ranging from Reminisces of a Stock Operator, to Market Wizards, and everything in between. Most can be had for under $20. If you arent passionate about it, dont waste your time and money. 

In terms of a style of investing, well...just my opinion, but everyone needs to find their own, and then let it evolve with the market. Trying to mimic someone else will leave you chasing your tail. 

This makes sense to me, I’ve been slowly making my way through a number of books in my own time, listening to excellent podcasts out there.  My thoughts were it see if it would round of some of my learning.

it’s why I also joined this forum to read and speak, to like minded individuals.

I can see your point on finding your own way, just because one approach works for one person, doesn’t mean it’ll work for me.  We’re all just built differently.

thank you all this has been useful to me.