Q on regulatory timing of Company share repurchase?

Guys,

I have a question regarding an example public company that has a plan in place to repurchase its own shares.  When can they mechanically enter the market and repurchase the shares over a given month or a quarter?  

I know there are limits like they can't repurchase more than 25% of the average daily volume..  and there may be other rules that I don't know.

1. Do the regulators require that they buy back shares via some daily plan and then set it to autopilot?  Like $100MM total, and $5MM per day until the $100MM limit is hit.
  2. Or, does the company have the flexibility to wait until their company stock traded price goes down on a given day, and they can load up on the repurchase that day, and then stop buying for a week or two and then do it again?

If you guys have any other interesting thoughts or strategy on what public companies do with buy backs, please share.  I would love to learn a little more about the low level weeds of how the companies execute the share repurchases [buy backs.]  

Thanks.

You can either have a discretionary buyback, which is subject to blackout restrictions. IE 2 weeks before EOQ-a few days after subsequent ER. Stuff like that. Or you can have a 105b type which allows consistent repurchases within the guidelines of normal trading rules, IE nothing for first 15/30 last 15/30 of daily trading.