Old Website or New

Gregmal

Old Website or New?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Old
    • New

I think as the new site gets more polished I will like it better than the old.  Overall though I think the site is nice 

main points in contention 

- search function

- more scrolling

- ads in main text body

- with the home page wasn’t an “about page” and instead the forum. 

Edited by Castanza

Yea the new one takes some getting used to. My only issues, and what Ive heard from a lot of others, is its harder to stay on top of new posts with the layout. I really liked the 20 or so post list of most recent postings at the bottom on the old site. If that could be implemented it would be great. This site IMO ind far more mobile friendly though.  

Main thing though is seeing if, and then why folks liked the old site better and then seeing if its possible to replicate those things. 

I only use the "Activity" tab at the top on the new site.  Which is similar to the old site's recent posts that appeared below the categories, but doesn't have the categories.  I've stopped even trying to find threads that don't show up as being posted in recently.  I noticed people post their "sells" in the what are you buying thread - same deal.  Its easier to find than the what are you selling thread.

The main issue with the new site is that enormous amounts of screen real estate are wasted with blank white space and over sized ads.  If the text is going to be this size, the ads are way out of scale.  And the blank white space everywhere is just wasteful.  Plus, why do we care how big the user avatar is?  Make it tiny.  Who cares what it looks like.

One thing I find is that there are too many posts per page for me - I don't like keeping on scrolling down (on a laptop - it's probably better on a phone).

It feels like there's a lot more spacing - I preferred the compactness of the old site for reading.

I know that the new site is a lot more customisable - unfortunately I'm too old & lazy to get round to doing this, which I accept is my issue.

I say all this reluctantly, knowing how much effort's been put in, but I feel it's best to be honest.

Maybe we're just crackheads for info. Going from the compactness of an SEC filing, to what could be compared to a kids picture book in terms of consolidated content, leaves me antsy. 

I agree to on being respectful about the effort that was put in. But Im sure Sanjeev also values and appreciates the input as to what people liked better. 

15 hours ago, Sunrider said:

Too much whitespace

ads too large requiring even more scrolling (and in middle of Text)

doesn’t jump down to last read which in combinations with the prior points makes things aggravating as hard to see in topic what already read

If you click on the blue dot or star to the left of the topic name it brings you right to the first unread message.  

I honestly don't understand who can even compare the old website to the new website. The old site was unusable on my iphone. Search was also unusable. 

The old site was rubbish. The new site is really good.

The people complaining about scrolling and whitespace have never used a modern mobile app?

--

I will say that on mobile, the logo takes up too much screen space. But that is about the only valid complaint I have. Otherwise, it would be minor quibbles on an excellent upgrade.

1 hour ago, Krapdivad said:

How lol

I believe those likes were leftover from the old site?  Can't see that the functionality is activated on the new site.

Nevermind - I see someone liked your recent post.  Beats me

Edited by gfp

The old one scrolled way easier through the lists of latest posts on my phone (my main way to browse the forums) so I prefer that. The current unread content list takes more space per thread and is a latest post list, not latest threads that had a post, which I prefer.

I don't know how many use the forum as I do so take the feedback for what it is.

Edited by wachtwoord

I'd like to see quicker access to sections with better top & bottom bar menu nav.

The menu structure is poorly done from both a usability & SEO standpoint. If you accidentally rollover the INVESTMENT FORUM link in the top bar, Politics remains sticky until you rollover BROWSE, which presents a less than useful set of alternatives. These are easy fixes.

Don't Make Me Think, was one of the best books I ever read on UI.

https://uxplanet.org/dont-make-me-think-20-wise-thoughts-about-usability-from-steve-krug-876b563f1d63

Personally, I have to admit, that this migration from Simple Machines Forums to Invision Boards has been a personal challenge to me, too.

To be totally honest, just after the migration, I considered myself here on CoBF deaf, blind & mute, combined with a good deal of directional confusion! [, absolutely without any capabilities to "handle"/"maneuver" the new board like the former board software platform].

- - - o 0 o - - -

Here, I'm not suggesting, that the posts in this topic are without merit [actually, to me, many of them are].

The posts in this topic tells everything about what this is about : Simple Machine Forums has its roots in a time, when tablets and smartphones did not exist.

But what I'm quite sure of is, that we are now past "the point of no return" [to the old board platform, ref. the topic title chosen by Greg in this topic].

The point of no return was de facto when Sanjeev decided to put the new software platform into production environment.

Personally, I speculate many challenges using the new board platform can be solved by communication among CoBF members [like we - as a community - do every day  - investment related], using the recipe : "There are no dumb questions, - only condecending answers".

Edited by John Hjorth

I've been off the board for a bit, but love the change to Invision. I've been part of another forum that has used Invision for years, and it is a far better platform (especially on mobile) than what this site was using.

Edited by DCG