Best Canadian Broker to buy International Stocks?

Jmac42600

I'm a Canadian looking to buy International stocks (specifically on the LSE and TYO) in my TFSA. I'm currently with Questrade but they just said it's $195 to conduct a trade on an international exchange. I'm only looking to do small transactions ($1000-$2000) so its obviously not economical to me. Any Canadian brokers that have reasonable cost international trading? Thanks a lot!

I've traded on LSE but not TYO, but the LSE trading fees were a rounding error. The "stamp duty" was much higher, IIRC.

I was doing much larger trades and I don't think the commission was more than a couple bucks. IIRC. Certainly less than $10.

Just pray you find a foreign stock that has an ADR...lol

In fairness and full disclosure, you can use IKBR, but as previously noted they are limited as to which accounts you can hold foreign stocks.

So I guess we are roaring into the 1960's

Edited by longlake95

2 minutes ago, longlake95 said:

Just pray you find a foreign stock that has an ADR...lol

In fairness and full disclosure, you can use IKBR, but as previously noted they are limited as to which accounts you can hold foreign stocks.

So I guess we are roaring into the 1960's

Yeah I saw that. TFSA rules allow you to buy foreign stocks, yet I can't buy them for a reasonable price at any Canadian broker... Doesn't really make sense to me.

1 hour ago, longlake95 said:

it's really quite sad, considering you can buy stocks with NO commissions if you live in the USA, with Schwab, TD Ameritrade, Fidelity, etc...

We are just so far behind.

You cannot buy stocks on foreign exchanges with no commissions in USA. At least not in Fidelity.

And you could not buy stocks on foreign exchanges in retirement accounts in Fidelity either. This may have changed - or not.