History of Businesses and Great Businessmen

Krapdivad

Li Lu's recent fireside chat with Bruce Greenwald had so much great stuff packed into it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=FiHrWy2jGbA&feature=youtu.be

One thing that Li Lu recommended was that we devote as much time as possible reading up on the history of businesses, and the great businessmen in the past. The more you study companies, the better your judgement becomes about companies.

Books that came to my mind were

- Titan about John D Rockefeller

- Good to Great 

- Shoe Dog (Nike)

- My Father's Business (Dollar General)

- In Sam We Trust (Walmart)

- The Ride of a Lifetime (Disney)

A bunch of these have been on my reading list.

Do you guys have any recommendations on any books that enrich our understanding of businesses from the past?

22 hours ago, Krapdivad said:

Li Lu's recent fireside chat with Bruce Greenwald had so much great stuff packed into it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=FiHrWy2jGbA&feature=youtu.be

One thing that Li Lu recommended was that we devote as much time as possible reading up on the history of businesses, and the great businessmen in the past. The more you study companies, the better your judgement becomes about companies.

Books that came to my mind were

- Titan about John D Rockefeller

- Good to Great 

- Shoe Dog (Nike)

- My Father's Business (Dollar General)

- In Sam We Trust (Walmart)

- The Ride of a Lifetime (Disney)

A bunch of these have been on my reading list.

Do you guys have any recommendations on any books that enrich our understanding of businesses from the past?

I enjoyed the transcription of the talk as well. I really enjoy basically anything Bruce Greenwald and Li Lu write or say.  

The Dollar General book is a new one for me, but I’ve read the others. Lots of good info in them. 

Titan is very good (every Chernow book I’ve read has been excellent). Another interesting, and perhaps more of an opposite view is Ida Tarbell’s, The History of The Standard Oil Company. 

• 2 weeks later...