Welcome To The New Site!

Parsad

13 minutes ago, sleepydragon said:

I really don’t like this new version of website.

now, when I visit the site from my iPhone, the Ads take over 80% of the screen. When I scroll down, I see one topic.

before, I can see the entire activity in pretty one iPhone screen.

Hi, we'll work on modifying the ads so they aren't as obtrusive.  Give us a couple of days, as we'll probably make most of the website changes over the long weekend.

Cheers!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the new site!

Since it's new and people are throwing in suggestions. One thing I see on gambling forums that I think this forum could benefit from is an Diary / Journal section for members to post their portfolio updates / investments. Thinking an entire subforum for posts like this: 

I know there are lots of people that would love to establish credibility and a track record on their way to managing OPM. This would be a great springboard for them.

On 3/31/2021 at 7:18 AM, Parsad said:

So we have a base of some 3,500+ members using the site.  For new users, the fee will be $4.99 a month or $49.99 a year.  I think over the years, from the experiences everyone has shared, both mentally and financially, that's pretty darn cheap!

I hear COBF is already negotiating with numerous spacs. Murmurs of a valuation north of $2b for this SaaSy name.

6 hours ago, backtothebeach said:

A small thing, but after clicking "Mark site read", is it really necessary to have the popup window "Are you sure...". to confirm?

I doubt anyone clicks "mark site read" by mistake, and even if, its not THAT important - the confirmation is just a useless click for me every time I visit, and mark the site read after having opened the threads that interest me.

Maybe the software has a "Don't ask me again" check box for the popup window?

Thanks Sanjeev!

Are you getting ready to sell to a Spac and momentum gamblers for a $5 billion valuation? 

The Gamestop crowd would think it would be a steal!  Just kidding.

PS  Edit function on my PC is on upper right hand corner of post after clicking on 3 dots 

Edited by LongHaul

Hi Sanjeev,

Two suggestions that I see were not mentioned (of course feel free to ignore if they are impractical or you disagree):

Can you expand the profile picture size limit? 50kb is pretty small. Maybe 2 or 5 MB?

Is there  options to change the forum "Look" e.g. a dark mode or other themes? 

Also it appears when you click a member's "profile" and it shows the post history, the viewing of those post history is not formatted. 

And, can you explain what the "reputation score" is and how it functions?

I'll add any more suggestions as I encounter them. 

Edited by LC

1 hour ago, DocSnowball said:

Thank you for your wonderful work Sanjeev, and much gratitude for allowing free access to existing members. This is a wonderful community that brings so much joy and learning, the best is yet to come!  

Hi Doc,

You guys do most of the heavy lifting, so it's only fair that you get to continue to use it for free!  Newbies on the other hand have yet to earn their keep.  Cheers!

Bravo, Sanjeev! Thanks for making the effort to upgrade the site. Being a tech entrepreneur myself, I know full well how difficult it can be to migrate from one system to another. I'd be willing to bet you have some entertaining war stories. I once had an executive coach advise me that the best way to derail a prosperous career is to take the lead on an IT project. Haha. I know I've proved him right at least a couple times.

I can already see there are some awesome and very valuable new features. I can't wait to dive in further. Many many thanks!

Hi Parsad.  I think this site is one of the best on the web but I don't care for the new format.  I find it busy and I prefer the simpler classic version. Just being honest.

One small suggestion.  There is so much white on the pages, everything blends together including the ads.  Perhaps the posts could have a different shade so they stand out?

Anyways, it doesn't really matter what I think and ultimately I am here for the quality of the discussions so I am just happy you are keeping the site going.

Edited by no_free_lunch

Thank you for the update, I am eager to learn all the new features.  Staying too long on old software leads to never ending problems. (Being first to upgrade also creates problems too).

So far every time I've played around a little I could figure out a new option that meets my needs. For example to get more density of information on a page like the old forum, I discovered the condensed view option on the Activity Page to get more idea of where the most new info resides without having to scroll the screen so much.

Parsad

Firstly, many thanks to you for this board, period, and all the hard work done on the update (and for letting us stay on as members).

I'm sure I haven't exploited many of the improvements yet.

The only request I'd make for now is if the Index/Home page could be made smaller, so I can see the lot on one laptop screen, as was before.  It's a small thing, but just makes it easier to open multiple tabs for different sections.

Many thanks again.

13 hours ago, no_free_lunch said:

Hi Parsad.  I think this site is one of the best on the web but I don't care for the new format.  I find it busy and I prefer the simpler classic version. Just being honest.

One small suggestion.  There is so much white on the pages, everything blends together including the ads.  Perhaps the posts could have a different shade so they stand out?

Anyways, it doesn't really matter what I think and ultimately I am here for the quality of the discussions so I am just happy you are keeping the site going.

I'm checking out different plug-ins that will allow members to modify their view to their liking, including colors, themes, etc.  So everyone will be able to change their view that makes it easiest to read for them.  Cheers!

Posted as a draft by me in the morning my local time [Denmark] on March 31st 2021, without pressing "submit":

"Woah! , -thank you, Sanjeev! [ ; - D]

-Earlier today [this morning, my local Northern European Time], I noticed the site going off line, with an unusual reponse message. It looks great! - Much more phone & tablet friendly!"

- - - o 0 o - - - 

Now, going back to this topic, -what I then wrote, is "still here", as a draft! [cached].

- - - o 0 o - - -

All migrations to another software platform are challenges. I've spent the last few days just looking around for myself to see what - over time - will come to be available to us CoBF members. -Holy-Go-Molly! [ : - ) ] -It sure looks good! [ : - ) ] -A quantum jump compared to the former Simple Machines forum platform!

- - - o 0 o - - -

We solve the challenges with the new platform by cooperation and sharing af experiences - as we always do here on CoBF! - simple as that.

- - - o 0 o - - -

Sanjeev, We're all in need of test topic, - or a test forum [sub board] - to mess around with things here on our individual accounts - to get going! -I hope you'll open one!

Edited by John Hjorth

This new platform seems similar to the Joomla CMS. There should be lots of plugins, coms and mods which allow extended functionality and I'm guessing the design can be rapidly re-slicked using different templates.

The site is out of the sandbox now & I imagine Sanjeev & the devs will be tinkering to get things just right.

I like it when things change. It forces me to work differently.

23 minutes ago, DooDiligence said:

This new platform seems similar to the Joomla CMS. There should be lots of plugins, coms and mods which allow extended functionality and I'm guessing the design can be rapidly re-slicked using different templates.

The site is out of the sandbox now & I imagine Sanjeev & the devs will be tinkering to get things just right.

I like it when things change. It forces me to work differently.

Yes, Jeff,

I, too, am comfortable this will be a leap forward for CoBF as a whole, to become a better place for everyone here. We need to give Sanjeev the time to set up things to our purpose.

On 3/31/2021 at 3:52 PM, Parsad said:

We'll move the ads within the threads to the side bars, so they won't cut through the posts.

Will look into the emoji thing.

Cheers!

Looks like it works now. I see an "edit" feature if I hit the three dots on the right. Thanks!

On 4/3/2021 at 8:14 PM, Spekulatius said:

I like some features of the new site like site stats and also the search appears to be better. I don’t like the site design as it wastes so much screen real estate compared to the old one.

Spot on. +1 Prior site looked old and boring but was much quicker to scroll and read. Take out the unnecessary white space and shrink the ads (not just on mobile)