Welcome To The New Site!

Parsad

Hi Everyone,

It's taken a bit of time to put it together, but the new "The Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax" site is up!  It's a bit of a change for everyone, but we'll all get slowly used to it together. 

I'd like to thank Paul Clerc and his team at Watermelon Webworks for their work and trying to get all my desired features incorporated!  While I've been playing with the "Beta" version, it isn't exactly like the actual site, so please work with me as I figure things out and get used to the administration.

If you were a paid member of the old site, you are "grandfathered" in, and your same username and password should work here.  You won't have to pay for anything, and all services are open to you...again, we'll get used to all of the services together.  So we have a base of some 3,500+ members using the site.  For new users, the fee will be $4.99 a month or $49.99 a year.  I think over the years, from the experiences everyone has shared, both mentally and financially, that's pretty darn cheap!

We have a number of useful features that members can tap into directly, rather than going through me...Podium, Classifieds, Zoom Room (which will feature recording and transcripting features) for members and their booked events.  There will be an annual Stock Competition with cash prizes, an area to buy some COBF logo items (people have asked me to do this for a while), and yes a "Politics" forum with a separate link away from the "Investment" forum.  Lastly, our new cleaner looking "Investment" forum has a ton of features and many that can be added.

There are a ton of features within the site, but if there is anything you wanted or anything missing that you liked about the old site, please use this thread and respond.  Paul and I will slowly try and incorporate any desired features with plug-ins and programming!  

Finally, my old contact email "cornerofberkshireandfairfax@gmail.com" is still active for queries, help, etc.  You may have noticed the new domain name "thecobf.com"...a lot shorter and easy to remember.  My future contact will be "info@thecobf.com", which should be working over the next couple of days.

Once again, thank you all for your support over the years!  We are going on our 20th year, and it has been my pleasure to be friends with you all!

Sincerely,

Sanjeev 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New site looks good! Still has a nice familiar "forumy" feel to it.  :classic_smile:

Only suggestions:

1.) Option for ad free browsing?

2.) Ad placement on the sides, instead of right in the middle of the main scroll body?

3.) Put classic emojis at the top of the selection

1 hour ago, Castanza said:

New site looks good! Still has a nice familiar "forumy" feel to it.  :classic_smile:

Only suggestions:

1.) Option for ad free browsing?

2.) Ad placement on the sides, instead of right in the middle of the main scroll body?

3.) Put classic emojis at the top of the selection

We'll move the ads within the threads to the side bars, so they won't cut through the posts.

Will look into the emoji thing.

Cheers!

12 minutes ago, Liberty said:

I came here to ask the same question. As a typo-master, I need an edit feature.

12 minutes ago, Liberty said:

I came here to ask the same question. As a typo-master, I need an edit feature.

You should be able to do this already.  Let me know.  If you cannot, I'll look into the settings.

There are also tons of plug-ins for the Invision forums, so if you don't see it, we can probably add it.  Keep sending requests on this thread if you have them.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Parsad said:

You should be able to do this already.  Let me know.  If you cannot, I'll look into the settings.

There are also tons of plug-ins for the Invision forums, so if you don't see it, we can probably add it.  Keep sending requests on this thread if you have them.

Cheers!

Pressing the three dots (...) on my posts shows only "Share" for me. Unless the edit/delete feature is somewhere else. 

*EDIT: Works now thank you!

Edited by fareastwarriors

Ok, I've expanded the editor.  You should have pretty full functionality now.

You should also be able to edit and delete your own posts now.

Let me know if you are having problems with either of the two above.

Cheers!

Hi Sanjeev ... thanks for all this!

Does the new site have a summary of "Posts since your last review"? I found this a useful feature on the old site ... it summarized new posts by topic, identifying what was new since one's last visit and making it easier to pick out the threads one wanted to follow ...

If there is a similar feature in the new site I have been unable to locate it ...

Cheers

Mark

1 hour ago, Parsad said:

Ok, I've expanded the editor.  You should have pretty full functionality now.

You should also be able to edit and delete your own posts now.

Let me know if you are having problems with either of the two above.

Cheers!

Both functions work great.  Thanks for your quick work! 😀

3 hours ago, klipbaai said:

Hi Sanjeev ... thanks for all this!

Does the new site have a summary of "Posts since your last review"? I found this a useful feature on the old site ... it summarized new posts by topic, identifying what was new since one's last visit and making it easier to pick out the threads one wanted to follow ...

If there is a similar feature in the new site I have been unable to locate it ...

Cheers

Mark

I think that you're looking for something this: https://thecobf.com/forum/discover/unread/ - it allows you to categorize unread content in a few different ways.