Capital IQ -- alternative for private investors?

BRK7

I have used Capital IQ for many years as an investment professional.  I plan to soon retire, and Capital IQ (cost of $20K+/year) is not a cost-effective option going forward for managing my personal investments.

I am wondering if there is an alternative high-quality product that has a cost structure that is more reasonable for private investors?

For those who are not familiar with Capital IQ, it is essentially a comprehensive database of information related to companies and markets.  Many years of historical data is provided, and the information is generally hyperlinked so that you can jump to original source (for example, SEC filing) to dig deeper.  The database also provides analytics (e.g, valuation and liquidity ratios) across its universe of coverage.

I'm hopeful that there is a more consumer-oriented product that will be adequate for my (less comprehensive) needs going forward.  I will primarily be interested in US business and their underlying publicly-traded securities.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas!

I like koyfin, but like tikr.com much more so. Tikr.com gets its data from Capital IQ.

You also may be able to get access to capital IQ directly from your library. For example, the Boston Library gives access to Capital IQ remotely for the duration of the pandemic. I am not sure how long it last, but for the time being, I have used Capital IQ through my Boston library account remotely for a few times.

[size=2]When I read longlake's post a few  days ago, I applied to TICKR.com, wihtout any invitation. I got the invitation to create a new account today [a bit surprising to me].[/size>

[font=Verdana][size=2]Now it's up me what I get out of it.[/size][/font>

[size=2]Thank you for sharing, longlake.[/size]

• 4 months later...

One library near me provides online access to capital IQ, but it's actually S&Ps "NetAdvantage" version of CapIQ, which is lacking some key features found in the "real" CapIQ product.

I gave Koyfin a look.  It's an interesting product, but I found that the website has missing functionality/data and/or bugs.  Maybe it's still a work in progress?

Has anyone found a good product for providing real-time email alerts for new SEC filings for a given ticker?

2 hours ago, BRK7 said:

Has anyone found a good product for providing real-time email alerts for new SEC filings for a given ticker?

Answered my own question:

Docoh.com 

It has a very nice interface for SEC filings.  They also provide conference call transcripts, financial statements, news, etc. 

Worth a look.  (No affiliation, just discovered the site.)

12 hours ago, BRK7 said:

One library near me provides online access to capital IQ, but it's actually S&Ps "NetAdvantage" version of CapIQ, which is lacking some key features found in the "real" CapIQ product.

I gave Koyfin a look.  It's an interesting product, but I found that the website has missing functionality/data and/or bugs.  Maybe it's still a work in progress?

or go straight to the horses mouth.

https://sec.report/notifications/

No worries DD, I initially thought the same thing.

Interesting data-point to share:

Today I got an SEC filing alert via docoh.com in my email inbox.  It arrived 7 minutes EARLIER than the same alert arrived via my $20K/year Capital IQ account.

Of course, docoh is not a substitute for the breadth of what CapIQ offers.  However, within the scope of what it offers, I am very impressed with docoh.

Edited by BRK7

6 hours ago, BRK7 said:

Today I got an SEC filing alert via docoh.com in my email inbox.  It arrived 7 minutes EARLIER than the same alert arrived via my $20K/year Capital IQ account.

Of course, docoh is not a substitute for the breadth of what CapIQ offers.  However, within the scope of what it offers, I am very impressed with docoh.

Docoh is awesome. So easy to just favourite your portfolio/watchlist and get every filing. No need to create complicated spreadsheets or bookmarks.

11 hours ago, BRK7 said:

Thanks for mentioning it. I signed up for a free account and I like what they created here. It has very useful features that you don’t find elsewhere.

I have capitalIQ for $10K ....they differentiate pricing between personal use and professional use.

For professional use, they quoted me $20K....but the mybusiness side did not want to sign on to it ...so I got a personal version with an agreement not to use it for work related stuff.