Thoughts on adding Book Notes to the Books section of books we have read

LongHaul

I was thinking that a lot of us actually read or listen to quality non-fiction books and we could sometimes share our notes in the Books Section of COBF. 

Nomad has good Book Notes on a book on Japan's Bubble Economy.

Essentially over time it would amount to a library of book notes for free with powerful learning consequences.

Here is what I would propose:

1.  No Mandatory Schedule - even 1 Book Notes writeup would be great per year. 

2.  Informal.  Rough notes are fine - don't go crazy with editing, etc.

3.  Book notes that just cover some points you found interesting or important are fine as well as in depth summaries.  All comers are welcome.

I think just posting the Book Notes and then the Book Title with the author would indicate that book notes included.

For Example:  Book Notes:  The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life by Alice Schroeder

Let me know your thoughts or ways to improve this.

Thank You.

Hi LongHaul,

Not a bad idea, but the problem is then the Books section, which works kind of like the Investment Ideas section gets cluttered.

What we could do is add a separate section called "Book Notes"...and then follow through with the title of each submission just like you suggested.

The Politics Board will be deleted from the new Investment website, so we could replace it with the Book Notes Board.

Does that work?

Cheers!

I think it is a good idea, but do we really need another sub-forum, or we can just post any notes in the same thread of the book?

Yeah, I would prefer the same thread, but the problem is that people won't know which books have notes and which ones don't unless people check out each book thread.  Cheers!

Hi LongHaul,

Not a bad idea, but the problem is then the Books section, which works kind of like the Investment Ideas section gets cluttered.

What we could do is add a separate section called "Book Notes"...and then follow through with the title of each submission just like you suggested.

The Politics Board will be deleted from the new Investment website, so we could replace it with the Book Notes Board.

Does that work?

Cheers!

A section for Book Notes would be great!

Parsad,

I think either using the existing section or a new section would work. 

We could try using the existing section and always switch if that does not work. 

I don't think it would get cluttered but sometimes it's best to try and see how it works in practice.

I think it is a good idea, but do we really need another sub-forum, or we can just post any notes in the same thread of the book?

Yeah, I would prefer the same thread, but the problem is that people won't know which books have notes and which ones don't unless people check out each book thread.  Cheers!

Perhaps there is a way to flag threads in the title? A star, or different color text, or some other means, to indicate that someone has (generously) posted their notes.

Perhaps there is a way to flag threads in the title? A star, or different color text, or some other means, to indicate that someone has (generously) posted their notes.

That's a brilliant idea!  How about when someone posts notes to a book under the Book section, they can post it and make the book title a "red" color.  That will let me know that notes for a book have been posted. 

I will then merge the notes into the original book thread and change the title "red".  Readers will then know that a book title has notes if the title is "red".  Does that work?  Cheers!

I posted Book Notes of Milton Friedman's book - Money Mischief to the book notes section. 

I wasn't sure now to make the title red.  Let me know if this works.

Sorry, I thought I could change the title color...but unfortunately, SMF only allows changing the post body text color.  You can use icons that show up next to the title, so I used the lightbulb icon.  With the new site, I believe we can change the title color.

Cheers!

• 4 months later...