How To Get More Clients After Returns of 80% After First 6 months of Managing $?

wescobrk

If someone started an RIA 6 months ago and has an average return of 70-80% over the past 6 months, would would people on the board do to get more clients?

Yes, the returns sounds completely implausible but they are accurate (funds managed are about $3 million).

Does anyone on the board know of firms that will bring you clients in return for a cut of the profits? If so, any particular companies anyone can recommend?

Oh, this is an RIA but there are also performance fees for qualified clients.

Thanks!

Guest cherzeca

so lets say you come to me with those results, and I say that sounds great, I am interested, how did you do it? what is your response? that response is the key to your next move. you did it because..X..now you are segmenting your TAM, because some will like the response, some won't, irrespective of past results over a short term span...and that is valuable information that you can use for your next step. for example, if you said plenty of TSLA calls, some will swoon, some will vomit, and the only thing that matters is that you will now know who to carry the conversation on with

Honestly, as someone who is finally getting a bit of traction after 7 years.  Being at $3mm after 6 months is a pretty good spot.  If I am totally cynical, it is probably easier to start 6 months ago with a blank slate and do 7-80% with no "through the cycle" baggage.  Investors want to understand the process.  Is it repeatable?  If you had a value bent and was all cash and went fully invested and had some tech exposure, you can probably do 40-100% in the last 12 months if the capital were deployed during the crisis.  Most people I know want to hand over money to someone who 1) isn't going to blow up 2) will compound at a much higher rate than inflation 3) actually have some sort of niche that they can take advantage of and 4) is committed to doing this craft for a long time.  Those are the things that they look for.  What I am saying probably won't seem important, but you will appreciate it after you try raising HNW and family office capital for 2-3 years.  Good luck.