Chamath

winjitsu

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chamath claims to be beating the benchmark by 56%  (3.6-2.3%)

FYI if your benchmark is returning 0% and your return is 1%, your beating the benchmark by 1/0 = infinite

Buffett would never report anything like that... I used to like him but he has become a tool...

FYI if your benchmark is returning 0% and your return is 1%, your beating the benchmark by 1/0 = infinite

Buffett would never report anything like that... I used to like him but he has become a tool...

There is an alternative theory.

I want to point out he has a BEng and not a BMath

Now do what happens when returns are negative...  ;D

So is he the next Buffett or what? Old fart Buffett is using dated math. Unlike Chamath, old Warren is out of touch and just "doesn't get it anymore".  :o

That's fine he wants to sell for climate change but don't say in multiple interviews you will be a shareholder for the long term. Tell people in interviews that it is based on valuation or "things could change."

Once you tell the world something and repeat it on multiple interviews and then do something else then how many other things are you doing in private that you are misleading people?

I'm not sure, but i think it's something along the lines of when he's done getting really rich of the SPACs he'll move on to saving the climate. So should throw some money in there cause the sooner that happens the better for us  ;D.

hahah 3.6% is the average of his holdings. He reports his returns the same way as financial newsletters. Love it! Maybe he should include the return of the average S&P stock then. Apples, oranges, who cares?

Can someone explain how Chamath getting rich with SPAC vehicles has anything to do with climate change? I don’t even see a remote connection between the two issues.

It's all social media manipulation/marketing and about preserving reputation whilst bilking followers. The "woke" folks are forced to give him a pass. He even did a live event with AOC (after promoting GME). Just social media manipulation (hey, he did get his start working at Facebook doing the same exact thing, didn't he?).

If he really cared about climate, he wouldn't be all in one of the biggest energy wasters out there today: crypto.

"In an emailed statement through a spokesman, Palihapitiya said he would redirect the funds from the share sale toward a “large investment” focused on the fight against climate change."

Is that to offset the environmental damage he's caused by pumping Bitcoin?

The cloud over Clover Health is enough for me to question anything he markets.

This thread is amusing:

I love Assness. Whatever that guy talks about... investing, politics, business. He'll give you an honest, straight up, no bullshit answer. You've got to respect that in a man.

Chamath is a grade A tool. People rip on ARK/Wood, but they've been doing it the old fashioned way, for a good many years now. Buy public company stocks, make their money as those holdings go up(or wayyyy up!). Chamath is a glorified stock promoter/pump and dump artist. Barry Honig 2.0 IMO

Chamath is a grade A tool. People rip on ARK/Wood, but they've been doing it the old fashioned way, for a good many years now. Buy public company stocks, make their money as those holdings go up(or wayyyy up!). Chamath is a glorified stock promoter/pump and dump artist. Barry Honig 2.0 IMO

Completely agree! But Wood is no chump either in the competition for the prize. I've just seen a video of her where she uses the treasury yield as a discount rate for equity. Seriously? There's no risk premium anymore? Either she's selling to idiots or thinks we're all idiots. What's even more amazing is that the video was monitored by someone from her compliance team.

I finally read the WSJ article on Chamath. So he called Robinhood executives corporate scumbags and should go to jail and Robinhood declined to comment per the WSJ article. But Robinhood attacks a 97 year old Charlie Munger about being an elitist?! WTF?!

Attack Munger but Chamath is hands off?

Completely agree! But Wood is no chump either in the competition for the prize. I've just seen a video of her where she uses the treasury yield as a discount rate for equity. Seriously? There's no risk premium anymore? Either she's selling to idiots or thinks we're all idiots. What's even more amazing is that the video was monitored by someone from her compliance team.

I do not have a morning wood for Cathie wood but I recall this is also how Buffett thinks about DCF/value as well. Got to dig out that interview/letter.

Buffett discounts by the treasury yield and adjusts for the equity risk premium through his margin of safety. E.g. riskier stocks would have to trade at 50% below his calculated value but he doesn't discount the risk at the DCF stage.

Not quite sure what advantages this has as opposed to discounting for the risk at the DCF stage.

I do not have a morning wood for Cathie wood but I recall this is also how Buffett thinks about DCF/value as well. Got to dig out that interview/letter.

Buffett discounts by the treasury yield and adjusts for the equity risk premium through his margin of safety. E.g. riskier stocks would have to trade at 50% below his calculated value but he doesn't discount the risk at the DCF stage.

Not quite sure what advantages this has as opposed to discounting for the risk at the DCF stage.

It's from one of his early letters in his Partnership days.

Chamath is this generation's Bruce Berkowitz.

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time..

You made me look it up:

Looks like he's been beating the market lately, so that's good... but he basically only owns cash and JOE now, so that's weird

Chamath is this generation's Bruce Berkowitz.

That's not even remotely the case. Bruce went deep in the trenches with his DD. He was over concentrated and stubborn and that has been his undoing but Chamath barely does any DD, has lots of positions and doesn't have anywhere close to the same conviction as Bruce did. He is the polar opposite