Chamath

winjitsu

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read either yet, but even the little I know about this guy right now gives me an uncontrollable urge to short everything he touches.

I remember him from his BOX pitch from a couple of years ago. He got this stock moving for a bit, but he possibly picked the worst performing SAAS Stock back then.

That said, he has a knack for spotting trends and marketing.

Canary singing in a coal mine if I've ever heard one.

This guy wasn't doing too hot a few years ago. Lucky for him, rates continued downward to where they are today. Too bad it won't last forever.

I wouldn't underestimate his ability to succeed. He came from nothing, left a secured job in finance for Silicon Valley, then left a secured job in Silicon Valley to work at Facebook. He's used to making decisions that make no sense in the beginning but works out tremendously. How many do you know would do the above?

When listening to him speak, he seems wicked smart. Although some of what he does not make sense, how many others pulled a move like that and still succeeded? Warren Buffet with Berkshire or Bill with Target/Valeant.

Seems to care about giving back with Social Capital and possibly running for governor.

As for Box, I listened to the Sohn Conference and yes - the pitch I thought was assumptive, but if Box was his worst investment - 18% five-year cagr, then he's doing way better than most money managers.

Disclosure: I'm a Chamath/Elon Fan Boy.

I thought the GME Call buying tweet was irresponsible. A lot of people were hurt around that frenzy. It didn't need anymore fuel.

I don't think it's Chamath's fault if someone invests their life savings over a tweet.

He also went on air and mentioned he sold out - stock still went up. I guess it's his fault too?

How's this different from Prem announcing a stake in Blackberry? Not to be vindictive - truly not, but I want to challenge your point. People who followed them into those investment loss quite a bit too. People should be responsible for their own capital, as we're in a capitalist economy.

I thought the GME Call buying tweet was irresponsible. A lot of people were hurt around that frenzy. It didn't need anymore fuel.

I don't think it's Chamath's fault if someone invests their life savings over a tweet.

He also went on air and mentioned he sold out - stock still went up. I guess it's his fault too?

How's this different from Prem announcing a stake in Blackberry? Not to be vindictive - truly not, but I want to challenge your point. People who followed them into those investment loss quite a bit too. People should be responsible for their own capital, as we're in a capitalist economy.

It's not his fault but he should know the consequences, so why do it?

Guest cherzeca

That’s the point regardless of the why - whether he wanted to be the destroyer of capital or a hero amongst the people, maybe the truth is in the middle - no one can blame him for their mistake. He didn’t point a gun at them.

there is a lot of "hey look at me" on twitter...influencers come to investing. reminds me of blodget though his only mic was cnbc....twitter and reddit much more powerful

That’s the point regardless of the why - whether he wanted to be the destroyer of capital or a hero amongst the people, maybe the truth is in the middle - no one can blame him for their mistake. He didn’t point a gun at them.

there is a lot of "hey look at me" on twitter...influencers come to investing. reminds me of blodget though his only mic was cnbc....twitter and reddit much more powerful

Considering HF are modeling Reddit posts for their trades. Can’t disagree.

He is running for the California governor job. He's building a fan base with all the tweets and interviews. That's why he donated his profit+capital from Gamestop.

His vision if he becomes the governor looks very good in my view.

* Creating a "0% State Tax" (which presumably means repealing the state income tax).

* Raising minimum teacher salaries to $70,000 a year (Glassdoor estimates that in 2021, the average annual salary for a teacher in California ranges from $40,000 to $60,000).

* Making California "the global center of all tech & climate jobs."

* Allowing students to choose their schools by offering free school vouchers.

* Guaranteeing income share agreements (ISAs) "so you don’t have to get student loans ever again."

* Giving families $2,000 for every new child born in California.

He is running for the California governor job. He's building a fan base with all the tweets and interviews. That's why he donated his profit+capital from Gamestop.

His vision if he becomes the governor looks very good in my view.

* Creating a "0% State Tax" (which presumably means repealing the state income tax).

* Raising minimum teacher salaries to $70,000 a year (Glassdoor estimates that in 2021, the average annual salary for a teacher in California ranges from $40,000 to $60,000).

* Making California "the global center of all tech & climate jobs."

* Allowing students to choose their schools by offering free school vouchers.

* Guaranteeing income share agreements (ISAs) "so you don’t have to get student loans ever again."

* Giving families $2,000 for every new child born in California.

He said on his podcast a couple of weeks ago he isn't running. I think he just wanted to get some free press.

He wants to have his name in the news. It is obvious. He wants to create the next Berkshire to help with inequality. I like Chamath and I think he will do well but I don't buy his argument about setting up a holding company will help with inequality. Only the middle and upper class buy equities. The poor won't be buying. Very few "poor" people bought Berkshire and made a lot of money. Sure someone making $100k a year will buy it but inequality isn't about people making $100k a year it is about the people making less than $15 an hour.

What gives Chamath voice about equality;  is his BTC holdings purchased in 2013 (cost basis 80$). # of BTC holds could be in top 5 on individual basis. Where BTC ends up going in abundant money world; further sets his course for SPACS.

He's very smart, but there's something I don't quite trust about him. I'm a big fan of his passion for tackling climate change through capitalism. My mind says yes... my gut says get to know him better first.

[/quote

Yeah, he's probably a good guy with a passion and vision. But his stay-in-the-news affinity makes it a bit skeptical and amateurish :) It's a good thing to see billionaires trying to build a legacy of their own, other than just making more money for themselves. More respect to them, than, say um..., Carl Icahn.

This guy is the anti-Buffett.

Delayed gratification and modesty are foreign terms for him. Comparing himself to Buffett brings a whole level of irony and humor to his antics...

Buffett has stood the test of time through various environments.

Chamath has only thrived in a single environment (low inflation/low rate)...

Place your bets.

I listened to this interview on Friday.

At that time it was called "King of SPACS, Chamath wants you to know that he is the next Warren Buffet"

Today the title is changed to "All things Chamath"

My guess is Bloomberg got a call from Chamath that went like this: "Hey guys, the point of this interview was to make me look more like human and less of an a-hole. Can you please change the video title to something more humble"

Btw, Erik, the Bloomberg interviewer, is an amazing interviewer.

Chamath got a shout out from Pabrai in his latest talk:

Says Chamath fits nicely into Pabrai's new spawner approach, and wishes there was a way to invest in Chamath instead of each of Chamath's SPACs individually. Sounds like this might be possible within a couple of years.

As a side note, I've heard a lot of strong reactions from the Berkshire faithful about Chamath declaring himself the next Warren Buffett. Pabrai doesn't seem to be carrying any of that emotional baggage.