The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology - Ray Kurzweil

DooDiligence

This book was mentioned in a Brooklyn Investor blog post recently. Has anyone read it? It's only $4.99 today.

"I still recommend the same old books for investors, like Security Analysis, but the book that may have had the most impact on me in terms of investing in more recent years might be The Singularity is Near. I've owned this book for years but only read it in the past few years. This really explains what is happening in the tech world. When I read this, I immediately understood what is going to happen to a lot of businesses, so it helped me stay away from them, and made me appreciate the 'winner-take-all' businesses. The moat in this century is very different than the moat that Buffett talks about. Well, Buffett never restricted his definition of moats to old-world businesses."

www.amazon.com/Singularity-Near-Humans-Transcend-Biology-ebook/dp/B000QCSA7C/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=singularity&qid=1611091791&sr=8-2

I read it, but it was a long time ago.  Maybe 10 years or more ago, I don't know.  All I remember is that I enjoyed it.  I can't remember all of the details.

It would actually be interesting to go back and re-read it to see how far off or on he is so far.  I'm sure he made predictions for the 2020s in it.

I read it, but it was a long time ago.  Maybe 10 years or more ago, I don't know.  All I remember is that I enjoyed it.  I can't remember all of the details.

It would actually be interesting to go back and re-read it to see how far off or on he is so far.  I'm sure he made predictions for the 2020s in it.

The 1st reviewer on Amazon had some interesting things to say about the book. One of the comments was about nanobots being used in humans.

I recently finished a scifi series “the Old Mans War” by John Scalzi, in which he presents bio engineered humans with nanoblood, which could handle a lot of things from viruses to enhanced protection of traumatic wound sites. The story includes a lot of other fantastic, seemingly impossible now, ideas. It’s a really fun series to read.

I just bought “Singularity” as it seems like it will be a fun read and possibly useful.

The 1st reviewer on Amazon had some interesting things to say about the book. One of the comments was about nanobots being used in humans.

I recently finished a scifi series “the Old Mans War” by John Scalzi, in which he presents bio engineered humans with nanoblood, which could handle a lot of things from viruses to enhanced protection of traumatic wound sites. The story includes a lot of other fantastic, seemingly impossible now, ideas. It’s a really fun series to read.

I just bought “Singularity” as it seems like it will be a fun read and possibly useful.

Yes, he talks about a lot of far out stuff.  He extrapolates the rate of technological growth to the point where we basically have unlimited computing power, AI of unimaginable intelligence (the singularity), live almost forever, etc...