The Complete Financial History of Berkshire Hathaway: A Chronological Analysis - Adam J. Mead

LongHaul

"The Complete Financial History of Berkshire Hathaway: A Chronological Analysis of Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger's Conglomerate Masterpiece "

Hardcover Available – April 13, 2021

An Excellent book that I would highly recommend if one is interested in the financial history of Berkshire Hathaway.  The author does a wonderful job of financial analysis of Berkshire starting with the early textile mills up to the present day.  The acquisition prices are shown of businesses, decade by decade financial statements and much more. 

I learned much from reading the book and it allowed me to have a better understanding of what Buffett and Munger did to create Berkshire. 

In summary - I would highly recommend reading to it to learn.

FYI: I received a free early version of this book.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0857199129/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0857199129&linkCode=as2&tag=theoraclescla-20&linkId=7d65cfc92d673e3f5aee8e1483b3564e

• 1 month later...

... FYI: I received a free early version of this book. ...

LongHaul,

To me, you're a lucky guy! I preordered this book on March 2nd 2021 via saxo.com. I can't wait to lay my hands on it!

John - can you follow up with your thoughts once you get it?  I want to get it but generally like to see multiple positives before pulling the trigger.

dwy000,

I will! [ : - ) ] Here is a tweet by Mr. Bloomstran containing a recommendation of the book. Please also note the nice words by Mr. Russo, Mr. Pabrai, Mr. Gabelli & Mr. Sykes!  [ : - ) ]

- - - o 0 o - - -

Now that Jurgis also posted that the book is written by a CoBF member I've become even more curious!

• 5 weeks later...

Here is a podcast interview with Adam Mead about the book :

Validea Guru Investor Blog [April 1st 2021] : The History of Berkshire Hathaway and Warren Buffett with Adam Mead (Ep. 80) .

It's pretty evident from the interview, that Adam is extremely well wandered in Berkshire, and that his Twitter handle BRK_Student dresses him well! [ : - ) ]

Edited by John Hjorth

ValueMaven,

You'll likely get some feedback in this topic, when the CoBF members, who have ordered the book, will post their experience while reading this book.

- - - o 0 o - - -

NB : -& personally honestly [& likely very biased] : Snowball up where the sun doesn't shine! - I simply hate that book!

The book landed here at me yesterday morning. Pretty amazing how great word wide logistics is working nowadays! - From what I've read in the Twittosphere, that's one day later than in the US.! [I'm a Northern European citizen [Denmark]].

- - - o 0 o - - -

It immedially jumped Kilpatricks "Of Permanent Value - 2020 Elephant Edition" [the green edition] on the small table between the TV-chairs of ours! - I got some "snake eyes" from the Lady of The House for doing that - ... to which I responded : "I can't really judge if this is a horny two-days-old, or "the green one" is a really "yacky" phedophile!". Response [again] : More snake eyes!

- - - o 0 o - - -

I've started reading it - really seriously! -With "seriously" I mean : Every spare moment I have, I grab the book and continue reading, and so far, I'm turned on! -I passed out last night in the bed with the book! I'm already sure this book is very different than other recent books about Berkshire, however it will take some time "to take it in" and digest it! - It's really a "brick"!

More to come here from me!

Edited by John Hjorth

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, TREVNI said:

@Fundmanagerthrwawy I'm not super active on here. A post here and there, some lurking around. But I'm always happy to answer any questions. I'm much more active on Twitter. @BRK_Student

No worries, I must say I loved the book. I tend to stay away from twitter seems very 'toxic' and I'm also not sure how to use it haha. But I'll give you a follow any way.

Regards

3 hours ago, TREVNI said:

@Fundmanagerthrwawy I'm not super active on here. A post here and there, some lurking around. But I'm always happy to answer any questions. I'm much more active on Twitter. @BRK_Student

I wanted to also say I loved the book.  I finally got around to reading it this summer.  It was nice to read an in-depth history of just Berkshire the company without all the Buffet personal life stories you get in books like Snowball.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone listened to the audio version yet? I'm tossing up which version to buy.

I'd prefer to listen to it whilst driving to work, but I find some of the more quantitative/technical books e.g. Security Analysis, are easier to digest in a physical book format.

11 hours ago, Stuart D said:

Has anyone listened to the audio version yet? I'm tossing up which version to buy.

I'd prefer to listen to it whilst driving to work, but I find some of the more quantitative/technical books e.g. Security Analysis, are easier to digest in a physical book format.

yes is it good for audio?

11 hours ago, Stuart D said:

Yeah it has a lot of financials on it, I don't think it will be a great listen.

• 4 months later...
  • Parsad changed the title to The Complete Financial History of Berkshire Hathaway: A Chronological Analysis - Adam J. Mead

Just to add to the chorus: this book is fantastic. It's really enjoyable to go year by year with Buffett and Berkshire, and as a relative novice I learned a ton about accounting and general business principles. 700+ pages and I could've read many more.

• 4 weeks later...