When Will You Take a Vaccine?

ander
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I thought they got rid of the politics board

What is the point of this comment? It comes off as a cowardly, not so thinly veiled plea "Sanjeev censor/ban them!"....

The thread is about the vaccine.... if you dont like it, dont read it,. Theres red states with policies that make sense, and policies that dont, same with the blue states. Its not politics...its real life effecting everyone. Its real and part of what many people myself included, weigh when looking at getting the vaccine. You see where the puck is going(vaccine passports) and realize theres a path of least resistance whether you like it or not....

I posted whether I was getting the vaccine? Did you?
I posted how I got the vaccine? Did you?
I posted my thought process on the vaccine. Did you?
I posted what I thought was relevant to large scale vaccination and the resulting return to normal..did you?

I am not so much referring to you specifically, but I think Ive had reasonably productive dialogue with Sanjeev recently and dont think Ive encroached on anything I agreed not to. I dont attack or call people names. I do plenty of other things that are viewed as positives for the board. But Im still dumbfounded at the sheer number of lurking cowards here...who dont post investment ideas, never really provide anything...but like a pack of piranhas race to comments posted by people like myself and cubs or folks they dont agree with...begging and cowardly lobbying for their removal and the bans of people they dont agree with. Man up people....

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought they got rid of the politics board

What is the point of this comment? It comes off as a cowardly, not so thinly veiled plea "Sanjeev censor/ban them!"....

The thread is about the vaccine.... if you dont like it, dont read it,. Theres red states with policies that make sense, and policies that dont, same with the blue states. Its not politics...its real life effecting everyone. Its real and part of what many people myself included, weigh when looking at getting the vaccine. You see where the puck is going(vaccine passports) and realize theres a path of least resistance whether you like it or not....

I posted whether I was getting the vaccine? Did you?
I posted how I got the vaccine? Did you?
I posted my thought process on the vaccine. Did you?
I posted what I thought was relevant to large scale vaccination and the resulting return to normal..did you?

Yes, im getting the vaccine (already got first shot).
I didn't post details of how I got it but I'm happy to.  Pretty sure nobody cares though.
Thought process - vaccine will prevent me from getting Covid.  Covid bad.  Prefer not to get it.

You posted those answers then paragraphs of political crap surrounding it that is nothing but political ranting.  I have never requested anyone to be censored.  Ever.  Never would.  I just hate when every topic gets morphed into a political diatribe.

@Greg: This post is inherently political. Just cause it's not a red-blue thing in the US doesn't mean it's not political. It's political because:

1. Politicians are urging people to take the vaccine. Now whether you think that's mainly through lies and manipulation to benefit from it (e.g. through them owning equity in certain pharma companies, in the Netherlands this was proven for the Mexican flu, no-one cared) or through education, it's still an inherently political topic.

2. Same with taking away people's rights (even if temporary) both wrt social distancing and wrt people refusing to be vaccinated, is inherently a political topic.

If someone (dwy000) argues there shouldn't be political talk on this forum he should argue all discussion on Covid-19 should be stopped (as would a great many other topics).

Just like you it's my impression Parsad does not want that (or he would have locked this topic)

IDK but it isnt politics to me when I go out to eat or buy groceries and you see crazy hermits scampering around, snapping at people about "your mask needs to be up higher, be considerate"....when its like "yo retard, your state is tops in the country in covid cases currently with 50% more cases than states with 3x the population and 100% business capacities AND NO MASKS...and oh yea, your death rate is still the highest too....but yea, follow the [s]slogans[/s] science. Nice snout cover by the way!". And thats not even touching on how dismal many of the vaccine rollouts have been!

Getting everyone vaccinated will force everyone back to normal. I mean I was looking to book a summer/fall trip to Hawk Lake in Ontario the other day and the guy basically said, "we have no visibility into when or what needs to happen in order for the border to open up again...just keep checking in"...pure lunacy!

The subject might be uncomfortable, and it should be. But I dont see what people think theyre solving by getting mad at me???? People should be slamming at the doors of all their local officials creating a massive shitstorm and demanding that EVERY SINGLE FUCKING PERSON who wants a vaccine gets one ASAP. Enough of the current status quo!

Greg, they want you to do that. The more people they vaccinate the more kickbacks they get.

Hence the entire manipulation angle and threathening (hopefully just threathening) of taking away the right to travel from those who don't want to take an untested, badly working (it needs yearly repetition) and (more importantly) unneccesary (not a dangerous illness) vaccine.

The discussion seems to be like everyone has same access to same vaccine.

For Astra Zeneca shot:

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2021/03/30/canada-Canada-suspends-use-AstraZeneca-coronavirus-vaccine/6901617075289/
Canada suspends use of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine for people under 55

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56580728
Covid: Germany limits use of AstraZeneca Covid jab for under-60s

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/19/world/france-resumes-use-of-astrazenecas-vaccine-for-those-over-55-and-the-prime-minister-gets-the-shot.html
France resumes use of AstraZeneca’s vaccine for those over 55, and the prime minister gets the shot.

In the main coronavirus thread, we had a discussion about not studying Vitamin D, Ivermectin, HCQ+Zinc, Budenoside, Colchicine, etc which have at least small studies to support.  Particularly studying VItamin D in large randomized clinical trials.

The pushback was now there are vaccines, there is no need for all these studies.  I strongly disagree.  Like in a war, one would depend on all the modes (marines, military, airforce), one needs to have multipronged approach against Covid too, especially when above are supplements or medicines that are cheap and widely available.

More evidence if still unsure and if still open for more objective inputs.

Interim Estimates of Vaccine Effectiveness of BNT162b2 and mRNA-1273 COVID-19 Vaccines in Preventing SARS-CoV-2 Infection Among Health Care Personnel, First Responders, and Other Essential and Frontline Workers — Eight U.S. Locations, December 2020–March 2021 | MMWR (cdc.gov)

TL;DR version: in a selected sub-group, 80% will not catch the disease after one shot of mRNA vaccine and 90% after two shots, suggesting an important impact on disease transmission from the individual receiving the vaccination.

There's also longer term results coming out confirming the mRNA vaccines' effectiveness and side effect profile.

In many places, overall, hospitalizations have come down (although there is some reversal). What is being seen, on the ground and confirmed by data aggregation, is that the average age of hospitalized has been coming down and the proportion of younger cohorts vs older cohorts has gone up relatively (absolutely in some areas due to variants and incomplete herd immunity), which is another indirect piece of evidence that vaccines are working.

Had my first Pfizer shot this morning. Still alive and no after effects so far.

Risk? Well, on one hand I haven’t heard of anyone killed by the vaccine yet. On the other hand, half a million Americans and 30,000 Canadians have been killed by the virus.

You don't have to be a genius to use a little common sense and play the odds.

Refuse the vaccine and you become part of the problem.

19 hours ago, cwericb said:

Had my first Pfizer shot this morning. Still alive and no after effects so far.

Risk? Well, on one hand I haven’t heard of anyone killed by the vaccine yet. On the other hand, half a million Americans and 30,000 Canadians have been killed by the virus.

You don't have to be a genius to use a little common sense and play the odds.

Refuse the vaccine and you become part of the problem.

Explain to me how you taking vaccine helps others?

Is it not easier always to convince people it is in their interest - in this case to take the vaccine than these statements?

Would it be not more polite to just say, I got vaccine...I am protected.

On 4/2/2021 at 1:54 AM, Investor20 said:

NY Vaccine passport. How to use it:

"......you may be asked to show a photo ID that shows your name and birth date to verify that the Pass belongs to you. "

So you would need a photo ID to buy groceries!

Excelsior Pass: What You Need to Know | COVID-19 Vaccine (ny.gov)

Hmmmmmm. So you basically would need to show a photo ID to eat or travel.... I'm expecting all major corporations to boycott this nonsense. 

Otherwise, was debating whether or not to post this. But whatever. Got my 2nd shot last Friday. Around 12 hours after went from normal, to shaky, to 103.7 fever at the peak. Lasted for about 6 hours. Felt less than stellar, but OK the next day, and after 36 hours from getting the shot was back out on my boat fishing at midnight with my friends Bud Light and Marlboro. 

Strangely, I asked a few friends who got both shots if they had anything similar? They said yeah, just to varying effects...thanks for the heads up dickheads! Although also interesting is that the younger people I knew definitely had side effects at a much greater rate than the 15% or so given to everyone. The older people, seemed to have side effects that were much more moderate. Who knows. 

Anyone here get the Johnson & Johnson vaccine?   Any side effects noticed?  My wife, 20yr old son, and I are all getting it this weekend.  We're getting J&J because that's the one available here.  I do like the fact that it is one shot rather than two.

2 hours ago, Investor20 said:

Explain to me how you taking vaccine helps others?

Is it not easier always to convince people it is in their interest - in this case to take the vaccine than these statements?

Would it be not more polite to just say, I got vaccine...I am protected.

Seriously? I think that you are missing the most important part of taking the vaccine.

If you get vaccinated it is, at the very least,  very unlikely that I will contract the disease.

If I don't contract the disease than I am not going to spread it to others.

"Would it be not more polite to just say, I got vaccine...I am protected."   No, not at all because that misses the point. As I said, if I get the virus I could spread it to my family and dozens of others - that is much more important than simply protecting oneself. So the point is that if we are going to stop spreading this virus ...we need everyone to get vaccinated.

Youre also going to need to be vaccinated to go anywhere or to do anything. No, the US government will not "mandate" a passport apparently. But these scumbags will refuse to pass legislation protecting businesses from ambulance chasing lawyers. So that strong arms the private sector into defense mode, which, by default, will be to mandate proof of vaccination. Nice little work around there, but its the same thing and thats where its going. I mean shit, look at Cornell, Rutgers, etc....No one is allowed to take classes without a vaccine starting in Fall '21....

Just for anyone interested. I received my first Pfizer shot yesterday around noon with no side effects until evening and then noticed that I had a fairly tender arm. Still a bit tender this afternoon. Otherwise so far so good.

PS I requested and received a written copy of a statement saying when, where and what I was vaccinated with and will also do the same when I get my second shot.

Edited by cwericb

6 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

Youre also going to need to be vaccinated to go anywhere or to do anything. No, the US government will not "mandate" a passport apparently. But these scumbags will refuse to pass legislation protecting businesses from ambulance chasing lawyers. So that strong arms the private sector into defense mode, which, by default, will be to mandate proof of vaccination. Nice little work around there, but its the same thing and thats where its going. I mean shit, look at Cornell, Rutgers, etc....No one is allowed to take classes without a vaccine starting in Fall '21....

Yeah, and when we start to fly I doubt anyone is going to be allowed anywhere near a commercial flight without proof of vaccinations.

18 minutes ago, rkbabang said:

Anyone here get the Johnson & Johnson vaccine?   Any side effects noticed?  My wife, 20yr old son, and I are all getting it this weekend.  We're getting J&J because that's the one available here.  I do like the fact that it is one shot rather than two.

I do not know anyone who has gotten the JnJ shot yet, as this vaccine has been hard to get and until very recently only small amounts trickled to vaccine centers. Let us  know how it goes. I know a few folks who would prefer to get the JnJ vaccine over the mRNA flavors.

26 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

I do not know anyone who has gotten the JnJ shot yet, as this vaccine has been hard to get and until very recently only small amounts trickled to vaccine centers. Let us  know how it goes. I know a few folks who would prefer to get the JnJ vaccine over the mRNA flavors.

Yeah, I don't know anyone who has taken it either.  We had the choice of getting the JnJ one this weekend or wait until May to get one of the others. I'll let you know how it goes.

One of my co-worker took the JnJ recently and was pretty much sidelined for a day. He seems to be ok now. Anecdotally sounds similar to second dose reaction for the other vaccine flavors. I’ll be getting my Pfizer 2nd dose in a few weeks so will see.

5 hours ago, cwericb said:

Seriously? I think that you are missing the most important part of taking the vaccine.

If you get vaccinated it is, at the very least,  very unlikely that I will contract the disease.

If I don't contract the disease than I am not going to spread it to others.

"Would it be not more polite to just say, I got vaccine...I am protected."   No, not at all because that misses the point. As I said, if I get the virus I could spread it to my family and dozens of others - that is much more important than simply protecting oneself. So the point is that if we are going to stop spreading this virus ...we need everyone to get vaccinated.

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210326/covid-vaccine-spread-study

March 26, 2021

"Fauci: Study Will Tell if COVID Vaccine Stops Spread"

“We hope that within the next 5 or so months, we’ll be able answer the very important question about whether vaccinated people get infected asymptomatically,” he said, “and if they do, do they transmit the infection to others.”

Why do they ask fully vaccinated people to wear masks.  Socially distance.  My friend in NY westchester county who is fully vaccinated was asked for a one week quarantine and PCR test to have some tests done at a hospital.

Now, clarifying this information, why do you think it matters to you whether others are vaccinated as long as you are vaccinated?

26 minutes ago, Investor20 said:

Now, clarifying this information, why do you think it matters to you whether others are vaccinated as long as you are vaccinated?

Because I care about what happens to others.  Because many people have not yet had access to a vaccine. Because if we don't act together many more will die. I could go on, but surprised you would ask the question.

10 minutes ago, cwericb said:

Because I care about what happens to others.  Because many people have not yet had access to a vaccine. Because if we don't act together many more will die. I could go on, but surprised you would ask the question.

If you get vaccinated, it helps you is the claim for vaccine.  But even Fauci is not saying it helps others. 

It is far easier to convince people to take a vaccine because its good for them rather than make up that it reduces transmission to others which is still being studied and raises suspicions about other claims of vaccine.