When Will You Take a Vaccine?

ander
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cherzeca

it is hard to answer poll since I dont know how quickly it will be rolled out and how quickly it will be made available to someone fitting my profile during rollout.  but I intend to take it as soon as I can.

As soon as possible which probably means that medical providers would have taken it for an additional quarter or so which by that point it would have more data.  Frankly, the comfort of knowing that the vaccine protects 95% will be big mental relieve. 

I'm in no rush to take it as I'm young and healthy. But we like to travel and looks like international travel will require it once it's widely available. Sooo, next time I want to take an international vacation i'll probably get the shot. By then, most of the kinks should be worked out, much more data etc.

If I have to make a guess as to what will happen: 30-40% of Western world population will not take it and the virus will still have mysteriously disappeared or won't be talked about in the news.

Regarding international travel, who is going to impose on Russian, Chinese, an American made vaccine while they claim their own? Question becomes what is an acceptable standard.

Then there will be the question of poor nation people not able to afford it and we will get an earful about compassion and the like and that they should still be allowed in without.

Cardboard

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/03/opinion/covid-19-vaccine-timeline.html

based on this,  I'll get it after about 97% of Americans. My wife (who works in a hospital) will get it after 3% (potentially 1st dose in December, though there are more front-line types that are presumably ahead of her)

Wife gets Pfizer vaccine on Monday (DC hospital, government affiliation, risky patient facing but not “front line” as in ER / ICU / covid unit)

I imagine that most young and healthy people won't bother just like with the flu vaccine unless the government finds a way to force people to take it by imposing restrictions on people who aren't vaccinated. Even then they will probably still wait to see what happens to the guinea pigs receiving the first round of vaccinations.

As soon as it is offered to my age group. Death isn't the only possible bad outcome, this virus can cause damage through vasculitis in all kinds of organs including the brain. No thanks. I don't know why anyone would take that risk when a much much much less risky and highly effective vaccine is available.

As soon as it is offered to my age group. Death isn't the only possible bad outcome, this virus can cause damage through vasculitis in all kinds of organs including the brain. No thanks. I don't know why anyone would take that risk when a much much much less risky and highly effective vaccine is available.

i had it, no problem, just 2 weeks of some bed rest, as i would do with any other cold/flu. your conclusion is way out of proportion to statistical reality.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the benefit of taking the vaccine for healthy individuals under the age of 30?

Attending live concerts, international travel, admittance to in-person university classes, contributing to the greater good as it relates to herd immunity.  And, you know, Gates and Soros whispering in your ear through the chip

What is the benefit of taking the vaccine for healthy individuals under the age of 30?

Not being selfish and spreading it to the community and potentially harming / killing those at risk. I also know a healthy 30 year old who died... so there's that too.

Americans are way too skeptical of their government. Just take the damn vaccine to help yourself out and those around you. Be a good neighbor.

Attending live concerts, international travel, admittance to in-person university classes, contributing to the greater good as it relates to herd immunity.  And, you know, Gates and Soros whispering in your ear through the chip

You can still spread and carry covid even after receiving the vaccine (per CDC).

Edit: I love the responses from the holier than thou assholes on this forum. Neither asked me why. Neither answered the question from a health perspective on an individual basis. Here is a question for you two. Why should a young person take the vaccine which is in limited supply over and elderly high risk individual or frontline worker?

Overly emotional individuals like yourselves are cancer to society. Scream louder.

I think we can take comfort in the fact that all those people who spent 6 months politicking and spreading fear about the vaccine, cough certain politicians, made it a point to jump the line and get vaccinated....that its probably a good idea for the rest of us.

Are (specific) discussions bound to evolve that way?

The answer, from a purely individual perspective, is that there is no benefit now (scarcity) and later.

The answer though can become more complicated.

Read the following if you have 3 minutes even if it's 'scientific' and even if some uncertain hypotheses are thrown around.

https://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2020/12/21/why_did_reindeer_in_norway_eat_each_others_antlers_653829.html

From a purely individual perspective, the reindeer's best course of action is to enter into destructive behavior (both at the individual and collective levels). From an evolutionary standpoint, the right outcome is happening. i wonder if humans would have been able to deal with a similar challenge, given the inherent and baffling way to somehow be able to collaborate and cooperate?

Happy New Year to you.

Individual opinion: The best thing about humans is that "they" have emotions.

What a strange reaction to my quoted answer to your question.  Did I seem to be screaming and emotional to you?  You asked about benefits for the under 30 set.  Perhaps I missed where you were not really asking.

You can still spread and carry covid even after receiving the vaccine (per CDC).

Edit: I love the responses from the holier than thou assholes on this forum. Neither asked me why. Neither answered the question from a health perspective on an individual basis. Here is a question for you two. Why should a young person take the vaccine which is in limited supply over and elderly high risk individual or frontline worker?

Overly emotional individuals like yourselves are cancer to society. Scream louder.