SPACs

Ronchong

PE sponsor recently launched offer for Applegreen, a gas station and food Court company. I believe Alimentation Couche Tard, or one of the other large operators, expect lower gas demand to increase fuel margins. Then it's also debatable whether or not recharging, which takes longer, will increase sales of food, beverages etc. I haven't made up my mind, but Alimentations track record is quiet formidable and they're experimenting in Norway, where EV penetration is relatively high, so that might be worth to follow.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PE sponsor recently launched offer for Applegreen, a gas station and food Court company. I believe Alimentation Couche Tard, or one of the other large operators, expect lower gas demand to increase fuel margins. Then it's also debatable whether or not recharging, which takes longer, will increase sales of food, beverages etc. I haven't made up my mind, but Alimentations track record is quiet formidable and they're experimenting in Norway, where EV penetration is relatively high, so that might be worth to follow.

Yes, I agree with this. Norway indeed may be a model to follow. I think the larger stations around highways may be fine as they can adjust their business model, but I am not sure about smaller ones in more urban/suburban areas where I stead of refueling folks just charge up at home. ai have no idea how this plays out, but know the gas stations have to compete with typically larger Conviencience stores as there wouldn’t be much of a difference.

I also think there isn’t much to fear in the next 5 years in terms:of gasoline sales for EV, but one needs to take into account that the market may reduce the terminal value of assets accordingly over time due to shrinking duration of cash flows.

• 2 weeks later...

Theres your IPOE for the win. Next up from Chamath is F or something.

Sold out of a few recently and the LSAQ train left the station, as far as pre announcement spacs go. CAPAU too did its couple % march towards warrant separation move too.

57% in a day, the party continues. I was speculating on the SOFI merger but went with IPOF instead thinking IPOE would be too small, damn.

I think Chamath still hasnt close on his IPOD yet and there's a decent change either IPOD/F would close in the next few months given his tweets.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been waiting for today for 1 month in daily anticipation. Sadly disappointed. I had very large limit orders to buy the Liberty Media/ Malone SPAC. It kicked off at 13 this morning and pretty much stayed there the whole time. So much for my 10.5 limit orders haha. There’s no way I’m paying 30% premium. I guess January is a very different time than December.

I’ve been waiting for today for 1 month in daily anticipation. Sadly disappointed. I had very large limit orders to buy the Liberty Media/ Malone SPAC. It kicked off at 13 this morning and pretty much stayed there the whole time. So much for my 10.5 limit orders haha. There’s no way I’m paying 30% premium. I guess January is a very different time than December.

Its playing out like how you envisioned it to be! The pre-announcement SPACs start to trade at their expected value post-announcement.

It's very hard to buy into promising pre-announcement SPACs under $11 now, even the unknown ones starts from $10.5. Chamath's IPOD is one of the most ridiculous SPAC that is currently on the market right now, trading close to 80% above cash value!

There could be another play here whereby one buys into the next IPOX, IPOY, IPOZ, AJAX, DGNR at unit launch and wait for the speculative robinhoog gang to recognise the "value" of the team and drive the price up. Much better IRR!

1. Buy into promising SPACs at IPO

2. Wait for Robinhood gang to pile in

3. ???

4. Profit

Do you mean after a deal is announced after the merger? With the current frenzy, that’s very likely to play out. But after the merger you no longer have a floor.

There’s still some arbitrage possible, one could still buy the no name lower quality units right at ipo close to $10, split them, and sell as they get close to 11, not even waiting for any Bloomberg rumors or announcements. You still have the $10 floor and could sell the warrants also or keep them as complementary lottery tickets. Worst case they stay at the purchase price.

Its playing out like how you envisioned it to be! The pre-announcement SPACs start to trade at their expected value post-announcement.

It's very hard to buy into promising pre-announcement SPACs under $11 now, even the unknown ones starts from $10.5. Chamath's IPOD is one of the most ridiculous SPAC that is currently on the market right now, trading close to 80% above cash value!

This seems like a much profitable play than waiting for the SPAC's announcement.

3. ???

4. Profit

Do you mean after a deal is announced after the merger? With the current frenzy, that’s very likely to play out. But after the merger you no longer have a floor.

There’s still some arbitrage possible, one could still buy the no name lower quality units right at ipo close to $10, split them, and sell as they get close to 11, not even waiting for any Bloomberg rumors or announcements. You still have the $10 floor and could sell the warrants also or keep them as complementary lottery tickets. Worst case they stay at the purchase price.

This seems like a much profitable play than waiting for the SPAC's announcement.

3. ???

4. Profit

I meant at unit launch! Sorry for the confusion, edited my post to make it clearer