Martin Gurri interview

rogermunibond

People seem to worry a lot today about the rise of authoritarianism or the return of fascism.  I honestly don’t get that.  The digital tsunami has produced a crisis of authority for all forms of power.  How a Mussolini could arise in the age of social media, and overthrow democracy without an organization, a program, an ideology, or even a Mussolini, is something I’d like to have explained to me.  (And if the answer is Trump, forgive me if I snicker.) 

I guess he has not heard of Putin, Erdogan, Venezuela, Hungary, and Poland.  ::)

and now this thread can be moved to Politics section, kkthxok.

People seem to worry a lot today about the rise of authoritarianism or the return of fascism.  I honestly don’t get that.  The digital tsunami has produced a crisis of authority for all forms of power.  How a Mussolini could arise in the age of social media, and overthrow democracy without an organization, a program, an ideology, or even a Mussolini, is something I’d like to have explained to me.  (And if the answer is Trump, forgive me if I snicker.) 

I guess he has not heard of Putin, Erdogan, Venezuela, Hungary, and Poland.  ::)

and now this thread can be moved to Politics section, kkthxok.

Always great when you hear someone say “this time is different” and scoff at nonzero probability of tail risks...