Looking for year end stock prices for Berkshire dating to 1965

TREVNI

I'd very much appreciate anyone with a data set of Berkshire share prices as of the end of each year dating back to 1965. There are high/low prices available beginning in 1973 in the '74 annual. So far I've had no luck on this board or anywhere else. I've even tried to suss out the data from the DRC and BCS reports with no luck. Thank you!

Go at the end of this post for a partial answer to your request

----

wabuffo is likely the gold standard for this kind of info. i recently looked at this recently with the passing away of Mr. Rick Guerin, with the underlying question: if and when BRK would have been included in the portfolio? If investing in the 60s and 70s, i doubt that it would have been possible to match Mr. Guerin's record (up to 1973) and i'm quite sure that temperamental forces would have prevented the leverage issues encountered around 1975-6 by him when he sold (margin pressures) his BRK stake at slightly below 40$ per share (CAGR of 22 to 23% since then) to Mr. Buffett.

----

The data is tabulated in Of Permanent Value, the 1996 revised expanded edition, pages 725-6 and the data contains hi-lo quarterly prices from 1965 to 1980. So either get the book, use archive.org to reach the relevant section. If somehow not easy or feasible, ask and i will type the data here.

MW-GI992_berksh_20180510143102_NS.gif?uuid=4ad7d9b8-5480-11e8-83eb-ac162d7bc1f7

I'd very much appreciate anyone with a data set of Berkshire share prices as of the end of each year dating back to 1965.

wabuffo is likely the gold standard for this kind of info

As CB notes - its easier to find hi-lo quarterly prices, but year-end closing prices are tough to get.  You can use this site to get prices for a specific trading day going back to 1984.

https://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/historical/default.asp?symb=brka&closeDate=12%2F31%2F84&x=0&y=0

I guess you could try old S&P or Moody's manuals at a library for data going back to the 1960s and 70s.  Are you looking for just year-end closing prices or high-low quarterly prices as well?

wabuffo

I'd very much appreciate anyone with a data set of Berkshire share prices as of the end of each year dating back to 1965.

wabuffo is likely the gold standard for this kind of info

As CB notes - its easier to find hi-lo quarterly prices, but year-end closing prices are tough to get.  You can use this site to get prices for a specific trading day going back to 1984.

https://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/historical/default.asp?symb=brka&closeDate=12%2F31%2F84&x=0&y=0

I guess you could try old S&P or Moody's manuals at a library for data going back to the 1960s and 70s.  Are you looking for just year-end closing prices or high-low quarterly prices as well?

wabuffo

Hey guys, I really appreciate the info and quick responses. I found the tables in the 2001 edition. It's toward the back. It's also in section 300 in the 2015 edition. There's the quarterly high/low in addition to year end prices.

I'm wondering where Andy got the data. I have the Moody's manuals but it only lists annual H/L.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

I was close eh? I beg pardon to the CoBF gods.

Stil I think that the method would work pretty well instead of trolling through the new york times stock pages of the 60s.

Stil I think that the method would work pretty well instead of trolling through the new york times stock pages of the 60s.

Yeah, I'm mostly trolling you.  ;D

P.S. I may be hallucinating, but I'm 90+% sure there was a list of BRK prices since 1965 posted on this thread. It has disappeared. Not sure if author removed it or if there was another instance of CoBF posts disappearing due to whatever crash/etc. Which has happened once or twice this year.

• 2 weeks later...

And miss out on all the fun?

Go to the NYT Wayback machine: https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/browser/

Type in January 1 or 2 for each year. You'll see the prices in the stock pages. I think Berkshire was traded OTC in the early days, so NYT might not have all of them.

This is a great suggestion, thank you Brett!

You're welcome - I think you probably only need to do it for 10-15 years - I imagine other websites (maybe Bloomberg?) will have it for 1980 onwards.