Stock price data - Excel

longlake95

I would like to download very basic stock price data/MCAP/52 Week HI LO, etc. into Excel. I'm using a traditional version of excel, not a subscription version - so the "stock data" feature is not available on the traditional version. Is there a simple API (not sure if that's what I need, I'm technologically inept - microwave has been flashing 12:00 for years!) that I can use, even pay for, if it's stable and provides quality data. I understand google sheets only will download data for a few names then konks out. Google seems to have abandoned google finance.

Thanks

LL

I would like to download very basic stock price data/MCAP/52 Week HI LO, etc. into Excel. I'm using a traditional version of excel, not a subscription version - so the "stock data" feature is not available on the traditional version. Is there a simple API (not sure if that's what I need, I'm technologically inept - microwave has been flashing 12:00 for years!) that I can use, even pay for, if it's stable and provides quality data. I understand google sheets only will download data for a few names then konks out. Google seems to have abandoned google finance.

Thanks

LL

If you use thinkorswim, you can connect and export for free.

If you want another API, I've been using Quandl at work for some time now. It has stocks, mutual funds, currencies though they are packaging them as different data sets so if cost is an issue this is somethign to consider. Overall, pretty easy Python set up. For personal use for stocks it is about $50/mo. It gives a lot of other metrics too (e.g., revenue).

EDIT: Forgot to include the link for ToS-Excel connect - https://www.lockeinyoursuccess.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Connecting-ThinkOrSwim-to-Excel.pdf

My advice is so simply use Google Sheets instead of Excel.  The GoogleFinance function within Google Sheets allows you to pull up a decent collection of parameters (last price, high, low, 52high, 52low, vol, etc) for stocks listed on the major exchanges.  This tutorial gives a nice overview:

https://blog.sheetgo.com/google-sheets-formulas/googlefinance-formula-google-sheets/

The nice thing about Google Sheets is that once your spreadsheet is set up, you simply open it in the morning and it merrily updates itself all day long with no further effort required from you.  I have hundreds of securities in my Google Sheets file, so I haven't found any practical data limitations.

SJ

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Stubble - Ya, I have been tinkering with google sheets - but that's hard enough - LOL. I am not even sure I'd know what to do with an API if I had one. Good to hear you haven't had any issues with a large number of tickers. Basically, I'm not likely to need more than 100 tickers to track. Just hoping google doesn't totally give up on financial data.

Maybe that's something tikr.com can address...

LL

I've been tinkering with google sheets. I can get basic data - except dividend yield. Can't seem to get that working. Any ideas?

LL

No, dividend yield is one of the parameters that cannot be obtained from the GoogleFinance function.  You need to enter that by hand, if you care about it.  Most companies bump their divvy once per year, so it's not such a burden to update it, but it's still a shortcoming.

SJ