Bio Hacking - Brain Performance

BG2008

Anyone here who does Keto or Intermittent fasting to help them get a mental edge?  I find that good night of sleep, coffee next morning, plus being on Keto is like "super charged" productivity and focus.  I have heard of people in SF taking LSDs etc.  Just going on Keto has helped with my insulin level and energy levels in general. 

I am surprised that on a value investing forum where people are passionate about investing, there isn't more conversation about optimizing mental performance?  I am leaning towards that people are keeping their secrets close to their chest.  I suspect 8 hours of sleep is the secret.

I am surprised that on a value investing forum where people are passionate about investing, there isn't more conversation about optimizing mental performance?  I am leaning towards that people are keeping their secrets close to their chest.  I suspect 8 hours of sleep is the secret.

Being well rested makes a huge difference to mental acuity. My decision making is way worse when I'm tired. We recognize this for things like driving, there is no reason to think it would be different for more complex and multi-faceted decision making areas (like investing).

Being well rested makes a huge difference to mental acuity. My decision making is way worse when I'm tired. We recognize this for things like driving, there is no reason to think it would be different for more complex and multi-faceted decision making areas (like investing).

Absolutely.  I'm just kind of joking that's the secret.  But it so well known.  I was blown away by how much cutting out carbs and processed food helped with my mental performance.  So, I am trying to figure out if there are other low hanging fruits.  IF and Keot have been huge helps.

Guest cherzeca

exercise producing endorphins and intermittent fasting.  I do a two hour exercise routine, mostly every other day. exercise de-stresses and seems to reduce my mental distractions. eating less during the day helps me focus.  then I pig out during the evening.

exercise producing endorphins and intermittent fasting.  I do a two hour exercise routine, mostly every other day. exercise de-stresses and seems to reduce my mental distractions. eating less during the day helps me focus.  then I pig out during the evening.

Cardio is super helpful for me for de-stressing improving sleep.

Getting 8 hours of sleep is essential. Your brain uses 20% of the bodies total energy. This generates a lot of waste products in your brain that build up while you are awake. The glymphatic system in your brain removes these contaminants while you sleep.

You should try hitting a heavy bag. Great stress relief and a good workout. Easy enough to find one for $50 on Facebook marketplace.

Brain dumps also work well for me if I'm feeling overwhelmed. It's a simple trick but writing down everything that is on your mind, work and non-work related sort of "cleans up the hard drive". At least that's my perspective on it. Helps me stay organized and focus in on objectives with prioritization.

You should try hitting a heavy bag. Great stress relief and a good workout. Easy enough to find one for $50 on Facebook marketplace.

Brain dumps also work well for me if I'm feeling overwhelmed. It's a simple trick but writing down everything that is on your mind, work and non-work related sort of "cleans up the hard drive". At least that's my perspective on it. Helps me stay organized and focus in on objectives with prioritization.

First time that I have heard of brain dump.  So just writing everything down?

Does hunting help as well?

Definitely fishing and sports for me. Really just anything that forces you to engage physically and mentally and kind of leave your status quo for a while.

Frankly, I talked my wife into buying a beach house for use as the new office because of this.  Just walking outside in the sun with waves is amazing and clears up my mind. 

The issue that I run into is that sitting and status quo has inertia.  If I get jammed up, it becomes a bit of a spiral.  Sleep suffers.  Then productivity goes down.  etc.

Does hunting help as well?

For the brain dump, I just grab a scratch pad and write down anything on my mind in bullet points. Not just the honey do list either. Any random thoughts you have, conversation reflections, etc. I guess you could use whatever format you want though.

Hunting and simply getting out in nature (at least for me) is always the best stress relief. Humans add stress, it’s nice to escape all that for a bit. I enjoy hunting, but it’s certainly not for everyone. Although, I do know quite a few guys who hunt but never seem to get anything. For them we’ll just call it “hunting” as they most likely just fall asleep in their stand.

Edit: my final bit of advice would be the Tomato timer app. I’ve been using it the past few months in my afternoons. Staying well hydrated is also a big thing.

I find bone broth to be really helpful especially since I'm on a Keto/low car diet.  The minerals in bones helps with my cognitive functions.  Castanza, do you ever make bone broth with the deer that you hunt?  I would imagine that is some high quality, grassfed, organic stuff. 

My personal opinion to boost cognitive focus:  afternoon naps, fast mimicking diet and meditation are other things to try/review.  Meditation is by far the hardest. I use vipassana meditation technique but there are countless others.  The craving mind is a good book to read regarding benefits of meditation.

Information on fast mimicking diet can be found at https://prolonfmd.com/fasting-mimicking-diet/.  There are DIY recipes available as well.  If you try fast mimicking diet you should at least have your baseline vitals (blood tests) done so that you can compare your results. 

Guest cherzeca

brain dumping used to be called journaling.  I typically don't have the patience to sit down and write, but I do sit down and reflect. think of what I would be grateful for, what I need to be doing that is unattended etc.  if this amounts to an action plan that I need to formulate, then I write it down in the form of a to do list. as for investments, I do use this forum and others to write through my thinking in order to clarify my position/conviction, but I can't seem to write through my thoughts just generically, as per a journal.

my best thoughts seem to be in a hot shower and on a long walk, so disengaging your brain however you wish to do it does seem to free up your brain.

I find bone broth to be really helpful especially since I'm on a Keto/low car diet.  The minerals in bones helps with my cognitive functions.  Castanza, do you ever make bone broth with the deer that you hunt?  I would imagine that is some high quality, grassfed, organic stuff.

You know, I've never tried that. I'm sure my wife would kill me if I had a stew pot boiling fresh deer bones in the kitchen for hours on end. If I end up butchering my own deer this year I'll give it a try, perhaps outside. If I get sick I'm blaming you  ;D