COVID-19 Vaccine - give it a shot or not?

Spekulatius
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So I decided to open another COVID-19 related topic about vaccine with a poll. I hope this is not becoming a political discussion. My goal is to find out how people think about this from a risk/reward perspective, especially those with a medical background.

My underlying thinking is that we will get a vaccine most likely from Moderna in November that uses a somewhat novel (and unproven) RNA Messenger approach and mot likely a second option of a traditional vaccine a few month later.

I hope it adds value for readers and posters.

Guest cherzeca

I wonder if the protocol for administering a vaccine will be a covid antibody test and a negative result. many people of course are antibody positive, and I wonder if they will be made to go to the end of the line. lots of dispute as to how long covid antibodies last

I would answer "I don't know".

I'm interested in knowing the probability of negative health effects from the vaccine vs. COVID-19 before taking any vaccine. I would definitely not take the first batch of the swine influenza vaccine (in hindsight).

Contracting COVID-19 is (currently) a very low-probability risk. The vaccine could be mandated by the government and be a 100% certain risk. Lots of variables and uncertainty... The decision is easier for people who are at risk. If you have diabetes and hypertension the decision is a lot easier...

To the extent that the virus is not out of control where I live, I will likely not get the vaccine for a while. In total, my county has less than 2000 cases, with the bulk being in nursing homes. The places I regularly travel are not bad either. However, should there be a noted uptick, or should I need to travel somewhere with a different profile, I would likely consider getting the vaccine. I only started getting the flu shot after having kids, and never really had a problem with the flu either. Just use common sense precautions.

Guest cherzeca

given that govt officials have been generally insistent (I would say arrogant) about covid safety measures, isn't it likely that at some point an effective vaccine (say 6 months down the road after roll out with no safety issues and strong antibody generation) will be required by these same govt officials? this is a health and safety issue, and govt officials to date have been given wide latitude to insist on measures taken.  having said that, having gotten a shot is not as easy to discern as whether you are wearing a mask...

i'll take a vaccine for society and the economy. I just want to get on with my life and vaccines wont work unless a large percentage of the population takes it. No point in even developing the vaccine if everyone is going to be an armchair epidemiologist. Obviously would be a bit more comfortable with a more conventional vaccine and would evaluate data on the Moderna vaccine.

I would likely to get vaccinated once a Vaccine becomes available. If the news suggest that a conventional vaccine becomes available shortly after the Moderna vaccine, I may decide to wait a month or two, but I wouldn’t wait for half a year or longer.

I have been keeping up with my vaccination and get a flu shot every year. So far so good and I haven’t had the flu since the late 90‘s. I had flu several times before and it wasn’t a pleasant experience.

FWIW, I assume COVID-19 vaccination will become mandatory for school children and students and probably colleges or one has to go for the online option.

I also assume that vaccinations will first become available for first responders and health care workers, and higher risk cases.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is an individual benefit to vaccinations and a community benefit and both are equally important.

For example with flu and other vaccinations , the vaccine doesn’t work as well with older people because their immune system doesn’t respond as well to vaccination . So those people benefit when other people get vaccinated the most , as it helps choke the community transmission reaching them.

Another interesting case is kids and school. Kids themselves are not vulnerable, but teachers and school personal  and parents may be and this May drive  a vaccination requirement for kids (which I would support).

I am actually looking forward to reading all the "Ill let others get it first" posts from folks who feigned concern and expressed partisan fueled, fabricated outrage at the humanitarian disaster unfolding as they screamed about "all those deaths!" and what could have been done to protect everyone. Like...eh, getting a vaccine to market for people!

Guest cherzeca

I am actually looking forward to reading all the "Ill let others get it first" posts from folks who feigned concern and expressed partisan fueled, fabricated outrage at the humanitarian disaster unfolding as they screamed about "all those deaths!" and what could have been done to protect everyone. Like...eh, getting a vaccine to market for people!

agreed.  I am old enough to remember asking my mom about polio victims (a couple kids, my age and a bit older) after the time the vaccine first came out (and my mom had me get the vaccine).  while I am against govt forced vaccination, I am hard-pressed to understand why anyone would avoid getting a shot after sufficient phase 3 testing. 

I marked "I plan to get whatever vaccine is available first".

Basically though, the vaccine will not be made available to everyone immediately. I am not going to office and I am not an essential worker, so I will wait until people on the front lines and people who want/need to be vaccinated first get vaccinated. By that time likely there will be evidence which vaccine(s) are safe and effective. So I'd say I'm gonna get vaccine late late this year or next year.

You need to give full information for a poll:

https://thefrontierpost.com/bill-gates-says-multiple-coronavirus-vaccine-doses-may-be-required-for-adequate-protection/

Commenting on reports about severe side effects of Moderna’s vaccine, including chills, headaches, fatigue and muscle pain,

Gates insisted that “some of that is not dramatic where it’s just super painful, but yes we need to make sure that there’s not severe side effects. The FDA I think will do a good job of that despite the pressure.”

“None of the vaccines at this point appear like they’ll work with a single dose,” the billionaire said, speaking to CBS Evening News. “That was the hope at the very beginning. Maybe one of them, particularly in the second generation will surprise us. We hope just two, although in the elderly, sometimes it takes more. So making sure we have lots of elderly people in the trial will give us that data.”

Lets rephrase the question.  Would a person expecting low consequences from Covid would take a vaccine with side effects "some of that is not dramatic where it’s just super painful" that “None of the vaccines at this point appear like they’ll work with a single dose,”. 

Evenwhile WHO says:

"There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection."

https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/immunity-passports-in-the-context-of-covid-19?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIorDF2snT6wIVCL7ACh3HHwPZEAAYASAAEgIWAfD_BwE

Would you take it?

Emphasis in bold added.

a lot will depend on someone's age, job, risk profile. Having recovered from covid earlier this year I cannot say it was much different than recovering from a flu or cold in any other year , and I never got a vaccine before. Unpleasant? sure. annoying? absolutely. But unless you have a job or risk that is out of the wide spectrum of normality I see no need for it. I feel that covid vaccine is more of a 'stockpile psychological' situation. The fact people believe something exists, they will be more confident. It's almost like the Fed jawboning. Just threatening to do something often is enough to get the intended result.