Understanding the Political Scenario

Edward

I posted this lecture on the coronavirus group. In my opinion it is the best summary of what's going on in the couture and politics today. The lecture is from 1984 but very relevant.

The speaker is Yuri Bezmenov, a defector from the India cell of the KGB and the topic cultural and political subversion.

Enjoy!

Edit:

An additional piece:

Not one reply or comment yet.  Odd given how much members are willing to comment on just about anything (Grocery price increases turned into a 10 page thread)  ;).

May be too hot too handle or just too depressing to contemplate.  Or maybe no else wanted to listen to the whole thing, especially given the terrible fidelity.  That said, it's pretty unreal to watch someone from 36 years ago describe what's going on (or at least a pretty credible interpretation) as if he had access to a time machine

Not one reply or comment yet.  Odd given how much members are willing to comment on just about anything (Grocery price increases turned into a 10 page thread)  ;).

May be too hot too handle or just too depressing to contemplate.  Or maybe no else wanted to listen to the whole thing, especially given the terrible fidelity.  That said, it's pretty unreal to watch someone from 36 years ago describe what's going on (or at least a pretty credible interpretation) as if he had access to a time machine

The grocery thread talks about money, seafood, steaks, and erections. 4 things most of us enjoy. It shouldn't be weird it's popular.

The grocery thread talks about money, seafood, steaks, and erections. 4 things most of us enjoy. It shouldn't be weird it's popular.

Indeed.  As opposed to current affairs, which we are all scared to touch with a ten foot pole  ;)

Which would you prefer? A plate of hanger steak, scallops and tiger shrimp or a plate of current affairs?

I thought all those things were the dinner for privileged white folks that invariably leads to scotch, cigars, and politics by the fireplace. Its all connected!

I posted this lecture on the coronavirus group. In my opinion it is the best summary of what's going on in the couture and politics today. The lecture is from 1984 but very relevant.

The speaker is Yuri Bezmenov, a defector from the India cell of the KGB and the topic cultural and political subversion.

Enjoy!

Watched this from the coronavirus thread. Fascinating stuff, thanks for posting!

I don’t think what he is talking about (totalitarian kind of subversion) Does not apply to our current situation all that well. We now have an abundance of Information sources with rapid feedback mechanisms which gives you exactly the kind of information that you want or should I say deserve. Those things didn’t exist in the Soviet Union or other totalitarian stated in the 1980’s and before and they lead to somewhat different issues.

I don’t think what he is talking about (totalitarian kind of subversion) Does not apply to our current situation all that well. We now have an abundance of Information sources with rapid feedback mechanisms which gives you exactly the kind of information that you want or should I say deserve. Those things didn’t exist in the Soviet Union or other totalitarian stated in the 1980’s and before and they lead to somewhat different issues.

Many people are choosing to ignore readily available information sources (as if they did not exist) & are relying on demagogues instead.

;)

He addresses this point directly in the prelude to the lecture. Here is the relevant piece:

More and better information is only useful if you can make sense of it. He is not at all talking about the Soviet Union but about other countries that have free press, how to subvert these countries. The goal is to reach a point at which true information is indistinguishable from bad one for much of the population.

If you are at all depressed by this, congratulations! You have reached the Demoralization stage ;)

Oh, and apropos free press - this lecture was taken down by youtube recently after reaching 7 million views and was re uploaded. Probably was trending too much.

rb, thanks for making me laugh out loud. My kids think I am a little touched and i think I like that ... :-)

• 2 weeks later...