Grocery Prices

BG2008

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I doubt it, being in NJ. Ive found that grocery prices over the past year have gotten exceptionally cheap. Maybe its an implementation or greater promotion of store brands, but I regularly marvel at the fact that I can go to the supermarket, on a daily basis, and buy lunch, snacks, and dinner for the family(of 4, plus dogs) for under $30. For instance,

Breakfast:

Box of store brand Frosted Flakes 1.79; lasts a week

Eggs 2.79, lasts 1-2 weeks

Orange Juice 2.50, lasts 5-7 days

Milk 3.39 per gallon, lasts 3 days

Lunch:

Mac and Cheese for kids, .79c a box

Chicken Nuggets 2.99, lasts for 2 meals

Hanger Steak 6.99 lb

Chopped salad $2.29

Dinner:

Salmon $7.99 lb

Rice Pilaf 1.19 a box

Brussel Sprouts 2.99 lb

Shrimp $6.99 lb

Pasta .89 a box

Butter $1 per stick

So as you can see, breakfast $10-15 covers a family of 4 for a week. Lunch you're running $10 a day, and dinner probably $10 a day as well. Insane to me considering before kids I would regularly spend $50 a meal, and often $100 for dinner.

I wanna see Dalal's grocery breakdown now.  ;D

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys eat fancy. Our family still buys the 0.99c/lb pork shoulder/"country style ribs," 0.59c/lb chicken quarters, $1.49/lb pork ribs, $4.99/lb ny/ribeye steaks. We only buy eggs when it's 0.99c per dozen. Meat is too cheap in America.

Veggies are from Chinese markets. Regular American markets are too expensive for leafy greens. Rice is base. We spend more for fresh fish and seafood.

Breakfast is usually noodles with some veggies and maybe an egg. Lunch when working is usually lunchbox with leftovers from last night's dinner. 

My wife is one of those Chinese woman who can eat a 32 oz ribeye in one sitting and weighs 120lbs.  She made me promise to not skimp on grocery when we got married.  We had a "talk" about it.  Our grocery bill will shock most people.  To be fair, we get very good value for our meals given that I do 80-90% of the cooking and we cut out the middle men known as restaurants. 

You guy eat fancy. Our family still buys the 0.99c/lb pork shoulder/"country style ribs," 0.59c/lb chicken quarters, $1.49/lb pork ribs, $4.99/lb ny/ribeye steaks. We only buy eggs when it's 0.99c per dozen. Meat is too cheap in America.

Veggies are from Chinese markets. Regular American markets are too expensive for leafy greens. Rice is base. We spend more for fresh fish and seafood.

Breakfast is usually noodles with some veggies and maybe an egg. Lunch when working is usually lunchbox with leftovers from last night's dinner.

I used to do that as well.  Over the years, we have gone to Costco more as we believe their berries and fruits are generally superior.  The steaks are higher quality.  Plus you need milk etc for the kiddos.  Yeah, meat is very cheap in the US in general.  We really do enjoy high quality of living in this country.

I see low interest rates and energy prices, and constant prices in streaming, tech, cable, etc, but I see inflation in a number of places...food, home prices, auto prices (contrary to what I expected), restaurants (making up lost income and reduced business), strata/HOA fees, strata insurance, P/C insurance in general.  Cheers!

Streaming prices are going up. Youtube TV just jacked their monthly fee to $65 and lots of rumblings during the past few weeks about it paving the way for Netflix to increase their rates. Content is also getting split up among multiple smaller streaming services requiring consumers to purchase multiple subscriptions to get the same content that was available from a single provider just a couple years ago.

You guy eat fancy. Our family still buys the 0.99c/lb pork shoulder/"country style ribs," 0.59c/lb chicken quarters, $1.49/lb pork ribs, $4.99/lb ny/ribeye steaks. We only buy eggs when it's 0.99c per dozen. Meat is too cheap in America.

I used to do that as well.  Over the years, we have gone to Costco more as we believe their berries and fruits are generally superior.  The steaks are higher quality.  Plus you need milk etc for the kiddos.  Yeah, meat is very cheap in the US in general.  We really do enjoy high quality of living in this country.

Reading this thread is making me question our grocery bill/habits but it's a one non-negotiable in the house that's obsessed with healthy food. We straddle:

1) Costco: for meat (fish)/cheese/nuts - hard to beat prices and quality

2) Whole Foods: Granola and more specialized staples - hard to find items that we don't need 10 lb bags of and I have an obsession with mustard

3) Chinese market: Leafy and specialized greens

4) Farmer's Market: Fruits/Vegetables - I grew up outside of the US and fruits/vegetables in box stores are tasteless/bland to me (probably because they are picked before they are due). Also a great way to have meal rotation as fruits/veggies in DC are seasonal.

In March my wife and I returned to the US from a 6 month world trip. We traveled to inexpensive countries such as Peru, Colombia, Argentina, Bulgaria, Serbia, Uruguay, Bosnia, Greece, and Croatia. In all these places we were able to get nice hotel and Air B&B rooms for $20 or less, but the groceries we just as, or more, expensive than the US. Not only were groceries relatively expensive, but the quality was generally poor and the variety was very limited. The USA is probably the best place in the world to be a grocery shopper (as an American I’m sure I’m biased here). Not only are prices lower, but the quality is better and the variety is greater. If the average grocery shopper in the US begins to see price increases and product shortages then I am certain that the places I traveled to will be dealing with a much more difficult situation.

4) Farmer's Market: Fruits/Vegetables - I grew up outside of the US and fruits/vegetables in box stores are tasteless/bland to me (probably because they are picked before they are due). Also a great way to have meal rotation as fruits/veggies in DC are seasonal.

This is so true, most grocery store vegetable/fruits have no flavour here in Canada as well. We try to go to smaller farmer's markets or actual farms to get stuff in the summer.

Some vendors at bigger markets just buy wholesale and repackage, but you can taste the difference when you buy from the actual farmers.

"This is so true, most grocery store vegetable/fruits have no flavour here in Canada as well

Most fruit is usually tasteless and hard as a rock.

Yes, supermarket prices are going up sharply and there are quite a few empty shelves. As Covid-19 spreads one has to be concerned about the food chain.

The other thing I have noticed recently is that the supermarket's policy of cleaning carts, providing sanitizer, etc is sadly slipping quickly, but if you go into a Dollar store or many other stores, they have someone at the door wearing a mask and they spray every customer's hands as they enter.

It depends from place to place I guess.

Asian market close to my house, you get a mask. There's a more upscale chain that also gives masks and these guys had car sterilization stations in their stores years before Covid came - civilization.

Glad New Zeeland got the virus under control quickly so that there won't be a disruption in the NZ lamb supply chain.  ;D

Spain has amazing food vegetable quality and supply and quite good price. When I recall the desert of plastic, non-existent, few stores,  or hyper-priced foods in Northern countries I cry myself to sleep. But this is a gift of geography. When in Finland I also felt like i was gonna starve Very expensive and few choices. Switzerland was very expensive. But spain was like infinite quality and brands. Also the balkan countries. I don't know latam but might be similar. It's all geography. Unfortunately the Northern countries will NEVER match the costs and food quality/health of the south.

So today...

breakfast

cereal 1.79 box lasts a week

oatmeal 3.99 for Quaker lasts 2-3 weeks

bacon $3.99

Orange juice, 2.50 bottle lasts several days

lunch

BLT

wheat bread 1.89 loaf, lasts a week, leftover bacon from breakfast, tomato 2.99 lb, lettuce 1.99 a head

dinner

angel hair pasta 1.49 box

peas .79c a can

oyster mushrooms 6.99 lb

hot dogs for the kids- 89c for buns and 32 hot dogs for $11.99 at Costco

Entire family fed, tons of leftovers for dogs as well. Cost less than $20 for the day

So today...

breakfast

cereal 1.79 box lasts a week

oatmeal 3.99 for Quaker lasts 2-3 weeks

bacon $3.99

Orange juice, 2.50 bottle lasts several days

Oatmeal with Bacon. Yum!

That's weird. But bacon at breakfast and lunch. I guess Greg loves bacon.

I eat the same thing every day for Breakfast an Lunch

Breakfast $15 a week

- Steel cut oats

- Black Coffee

- 3 egg whites

- 1 Whole egg

- Banana

Lunch $15 a week

- A whole plate of raw spinach (no dressing or toppings)

- Lean meat (chicken or venison) usually grilled and prepped for the week.

Dinner (Probably $45-80 depending on the week)

- Whatever my wife thinks sounds good.

- pasta, steak, shrimp, grilled salmon, burgers, dogs, grilled sausage, tacos, sweet potato, salad etc.

When my wife works (3-4 nights a week) I generally just eat breakfast for dinner, leftovers, or I stand at the fridge and eat a deconstructed sandwich like a schmuck.

Here is what I might have for a day of groceries for myself:

Breakfast:  oatmeal

Lunch:  broccoli & spinach,

Dinner: cauliflower with wild rice,beans, and corn with glass of wine.

About $12/day

Eric did you go vegetarian?  I remember you used to raise chickens and would eat fresh chicken.  Cheers!

I've noticed a lot more restaurant steak cuts at the grocery store than usual. Pre-COVID, I don't think I've ever seen a hangar steak in a meat section. Last two times I've been to Whole Foods they've had them for $11.99 a pound.

Even our local Save-on-Foods, which is a chain similar to Albertson, Kroger, etc has ground bison, venison chops and a few other new offerings.  Game meat isn't my thing, but interesting that they now carrying it.  Cheers!

This is so true, most grocery store vegetable/fruits have no flavour here in Canada as well. We try to go to smaller farmer's markets or actual farms to get stuff in the summer.

Some vendors at bigger markets just buy wholesale and repackage, but you can taste the difference when you buy from the actual farmers.

Quite true for some produce.  I tried organic purple and white carrots and I don't think I can go back to grocery store orange carrots...same with tomatoes.  Also with eggs...they have to be Omega-3 or free range eggs.  I've found those three things in particular taste incredibly different than the cheaper versions.  Cheers!

... So as you can see, breakfast $10-15 covers a family of 4 for a week. Lunch you're running $10 a day, and dinner probably $10 a day as well. Insane considering before kids I would regularly spend $50 a meal, and often $100 for dinner.

Greg,

As you perhaps already know, I'm pretty observant to facts posted here on CoBF, and by all means much-much more observant how those so-called facts are processed and handled. So, to me, you are here just such a low-life cheat fiddling with your numbers  that you post here on CoBF, dividing by four, instead of dividing by four-and-something! [ : - D]

I hope everything is evolving well over time for your part, and yours! Take care [ : - ) ]

[The rest that we're talking about here on CoBF is "just money" [and all that].]

In short - now that I actually think about it - there is no capital gain comparable to become a parent again! [ : - ) ]

Here is what I might have for a day of groceries for myself:

Breakfast:  oatmeal

Lunch:  broccoli & spinach,

Dinner: cauliflower with wild rice,beans, and corn with glass of wine.

About $12/day

Eric did you go vegetarian?  I remember you used to raise chickens and would eat fresh chicken.  Cheers!

Worse than vegetarian:  I have been eating vegan for more than a year.

... So as you can see, breakfast $10-15 covers a family of 4 for a week. Lunch you're running $10 a day, and dinner probably $10 a day as well. Insane considering before kids I would regularly spend $50 a meal, and often $100 for dinner.

Greg,

As you perhaps already know, I'm pretty observant to facts posted here on CoBF, and by all means much-much more observant how those so-called facts are processed and handled. So, to me, you are here just such a low-life cheat fiddling with your numbers  that you post here on CoBF, dividing by four, instead of dividing by four-and-something! [ : - D]

I hope everything is evolving well over time for your part, and yours! Take care [ : - ) ]

[The rest that we're talking about here on CoBF is "just money" [and all that].]

In short - now that I actually think about it - there is no capital gain comparable to become a parent again! [ : - ) ]

Haha thanks John. Yes, things are well. Just another "period of adjustment" as seems to currently be the norm in the world.

I'll do one more day, and then stop posting my daily meals. Just trying to emphasize how it is possible to eat well and cheap. One thing I have found very helpful is that going to the store daily and buying only really what I need for the days meals, greatly cuts back on waste/saves money. Previously, or when I go to Costco, its very easy to fall into a "I'll have some of this, and a bit of that, and oh, throw this in the cart too" mindset. Much of that stuff either goes bad or sits in the pantry collecting dust.

Breakfast

Eggs Benedict:

Eggs 2.49 carton

Hollandaise sauce 1.29 packet

English muffins 1.50 a sleeve for store brand

French toast for kids 2.79 for a box that lasts a week

6 coffees(I drink too much) K cup style 80 ct is $20

Apple juice 2.99 a jug, lasts 2 weeks

Lunch

Pierogi 3.79 a tray

Sautéed Onion 1.99 lb

Fish sticks for the kids 2.99 a box (although typically I catch the walleye and wife breads them, so free, unless you want to incorporate all the boating/fishing expenses, which will be an obnoxious add on)

Dinner

Skate Wings 7.99 lb

Asparagus 1.99 a bundle

capers 1.79 a jar

couscous 1.99 a box

pizza bites for the kids 1.99 a bag which lasts 2 meals

Gregmal, when ESRT trades to NAV, maybe you can start buying some more expensive and healthier fresh foods!

Whole Foods, Farmers Market,fishmonger, butcher, Topo Chico, Craft Beers, Aperol Spritzes

Been spending most my life, livin in yuppie elitist scum paradise!

What are dividends for, if not to spend gobs of money on fine food?