Grocery Prices

BG2008

Anyone else notice meat prices going through the roof lately?  We started to order meat in bulk from Baldor who used to supply restaurants.  There are enough people in my house, so we would buy 15lb ribeye at a time.  Prices were $13-14 per lb and they are now $22-23.  I have read a lot about slaughter house having Covid issues.  I haven't been to Costco as we have opted to order via delivery.  Anyone else seeing large food inflation?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone else notice meat prices going through the roof lately?  We started to order meat in bulk from Baldor who used to supply restaurants.  There are enough people in my house, so we would buy 15lb ribeye at a time.  Prices were $13-14 per lb and they are now $22-23.  I have read a lot about slaughter house having Covid issues.  I haven't been to Costco as we have opted to order via delivery.  Anyone else seeing large food inflation?

I see low interest rates and energy prices, and constant prices in streaming, tech, cable, etc, but I see inflation in a number of places...food, home prices, auto prices (contrary to what I expected), restaurants (making up lost income and reduced business), strata/HOA fees, strata insurance, P/C insurance in general.  Cheers!

Congress needs to pass the PRIME act.

Vegas had an interesting situation. Apparently many farms around there rely on food scraps to feed pigs. Well with everything closed the pigs were not getting enough food and beginning to starve. Since these pigs were not a specific weight the farms were not allowed to slaughter them for consumption. Instead, they had to euthanize hundreds of thousands of pigs and discard them.

This is happening all over and I personally know a farmer who has been dumping milk on the ground because schools are closed and he can't sell the milk directly to individuals legally. And he had to euthanize 2,000 pigs for similar reasons.

I helped him spread the milk (now used for fertilizer) on his fields a few months back and good lord there is nothing worse smelling than that.

Vegas had an interesting situation. Apparently many farms around there rely on food scraps to feed pigs. Well with everything closed the pigs were not getting enough food and beginning to starve. Since these pigs were not a specific weight the farms were not allowed to slaughter them for consumption. Instead, they had to euthanize hundreds of thousands of pigs and discard them.

This is happening all over and I personally know a farmer who has been dumping milk on the ground because schools are closed and he can't sell the milk directly to individuals legally. And he had to euthanize 2,000 pigs for similar reasons.

I helped him spread the milk (now used for fertilizer) on his fields a few months back and good lord there is nothing worse smelling than that.

From what I understand, pigs had a similar situation to oil where there was no available storage and with processing facilities closed farmers around the country were forced to euthanize millions of pigs. Pig farmers don't really have a way to store excess pigs since farms specialize in age groups and once pigs age out of the farm they go on to the next farm or to the processing facility. A really unfortunate situation compounded by a number of laws that prevent farmers from selling pigs directly to consumers, butchering them themselves, or for smaller processing facilities to sell to consumers.

I think when there is time government at all levels should take a serious look at some of the food laws that have been enacted for our "safety". Federally regulated processing plants are a clear chokepoint in the system.

From what I understand, pigs had a similar situation to oil where there was no available storage and with processing facilities closed farmers around the country were forced to euthanize millions of pigs. Pig farmers don't really have a way to store excess pigs since farms specialize in age groups and once pigs age out of the farm they go on to the next farm or to the processing facility. A really unfortunate situation compounded by a number of laws that prevent farmers from selling pigs directly to consumers, butchering them themselves, or for smaller processing facilities to sell to consumers.

I think when there is time government at all levels should take a serious look at some of the food laws that have been enacted for our "safety". Federally regulated processing plants are a clear chokepoint in the system.

Food waste is heavily driven by regulations. Go to any education center cafeteria and ask what they do with the leftovers. 90% of them will say they have to trash to food. They can't even donate it to homeless shelters for the most part. Craziness

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I doubt it, being in NJ. Ive found that grocery prices over the past year have gotten exceptionally cheap. Maybe its an implementation or greater promotion of store brands, but I regularly marvel at the fact that I can go to the supermarket, on a daily basis, and buy lunch, snacks, and dinner for the family(of 4, plus dogs) for under $30. For instance,

Breakfast:

Box of store brand Frosted Flakes 1.79; lasts a week

Eggs 2.79, lasts 1-2 weeks

Orange Juice 2.50, lasts 5-7 days

Milk 3.39 per gallon, lasts 3 days

Lunch:

Mac and Cheese for kids, .79c a box

Chicken Nuggets 2.99, lasts for 2 meals

Hanger Steak 6.99 lb

Chopped salad $2.29

Dinner:

Salmon $7.99 lb

Rice Pilaf 1.19 a box

Brussel Sprouts 2.99 lb

Shrimp $6.99 lb

Pasta .89 a box

Butter $1 per stick

So as you can see, breakfast $10-15 covers a family of 4 for a week. Lunch you're running $10 a day, and dinner probably $10 a day as well. Insane to me considering before kids I would regularly spend $50 a meal, and often $100 for dinner.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I doubt it, being in NJ. Ive found that grocery prices over the past year have gotten exceptionally cheap. Maybe its an implementation or greater promotion of store brands, but I regularly marvel at the fact that I can go to the supermarket, on a daily basis, and buy lunch, snacks, and dinner for the family(of 4, plus dogs) for under $30. For instance,

Breakfast:

Box of store brand Frosted Flakes 1.79; lasts a week

Eggs 2.79, lasts 1-2 weeks

Orange Juice 2.50, lasts 5-7 days

Milk 3.39 per gallon, lasts 3 days

Lunch:

Mac and Cheese for kids, .79c a box

Chicken Nuggets 2.99, lasts for 2 meals

Hanger Steak 6.99 lb

Chopped salad $2.29

Dinner:

Salmon $7.99 lb

Rice Pilaf 1.19 a box

Brussel Sprouts 2.99 lb

Shrimp $6.99 lb

Pasta .89 a box

Butter $1 per stick

So as you can see, breakfast $10-15 covers a family of 4 for a week. Lunch you're running $10 a day, and dinner probably $10 a day as well. Insane to me considering before kids I would regularly spend $50 a meal, and often $100 for dinner.

Your grocery bills makes me weep. 

I saw higher prices (and product shortages) around March-April but I lost track after that because I started getting my groceries delivered from a different store.

Anyway, in my area you can get Costco items delivered through Instacart and they have ribeyes listed at $14.7/lb. Might be worth checking out.

Prices at chain grocery stores like Smith's seem like they're moving up  here in Las Vegas. However, prices at ethnic markets like La Bonita and Ranch 99 are very reasonable. Prices for quality produce are astonishingly cheap at La Bonita. For example, limes were 25 cents a pound last time I was there.

Here is what I might have for a day of groceries for myself:

Breakfast:  oatmeal

Lunch:  broccoli & spinach,

Dinner: cauliflower with wild rice,beans, and corn with glass of wine.

About $12/day

Damn you leftist, granola eating, hippie!!! :) (Please forgive me Eric in the name of a little humor)

I saw higher prices (and product shortages) around March-April but I lost track after that because I started getting my groceries delivered from a different store.

Anyway, in my area you can get Costco items delivered through Instacart and they have ribeyes listed at $14.7/lb. Might be worth checking out.

Are they marbled like this?

27716DBC-BEA7-4113-A3BF-B7A58ED25099.jpeg.80538729f32fbd95240e35f17ee12413.jpeg

I think Baldor figured out that they can upcharge by selling directly to consumers.  Since restaurants operate on such slim margin, Baldor has to watch their pricing.  Anyone who switched over to buying from Baldor is buying in bulk, i.e. 15 lbs of ribeye, they can afford to pay up for the convenience and quality.  I think Baldor is increasing pricing to pad their margins.  Or there could be a serious sourcing issue for these prime ribeyes from small farms. 

I will do a blind taste test vs this beauty and get back to you.

Yeah, that Costco one is a little out of my price range

Imagine making a truffle cheesesteak sandwich with that?

Beef quality at Costco in Canada is excellent. If you want better you'd have to go to some super expensive specialized butcher. I've basically stopped buying from anywhere else. I don't see why it would be any different in the US.

The only downside is that you have to buy like half a cow or something. But it looks like you're doing that already.

About $12/day

Damn you leftist, granola eating, hippie!!! :) (Please forgive me Eric in the name of a little humor)

Asking vegetarian about meat prices is a missed steak.

I think Baldor figured out that they can upcharge by selling directly to consumers.  Since restaurants operate on such slim margin, Baldor has to watch their pricing.  Anyone who switched over to buying from Baldor is buying in bulk, i.e. 15 lbs of ribeye, they can afford to pay up for the convenience and quality.  I think Baldor is increasing pricing to pad their margins.  Or there could be a serious sourcing issue for these prime ribeyes from small farms.

I have also used Baldor.  Have placed 4 orders with them since they started consumer deliveries.  I agree that you may be right about their realization that they can raise prices.  However, I also noticed that their prices seemed to change with each and every order.  I think that they have a much more dynamic pricing model than supermarkets or Fresh Direct, which generally keep things pretty constant in comparison. 

In particular, the meat prices have definitely increased.  I finally went to Costco for the first time this weekend since late February.  Their meat prices are better than Baldor's and can be purchased in more manageable quantities. You also need to be careful when ordering from Baldor.  In my last order, I purchased a side of strip loin.  Was charged for 14.5 lbs.  After carving it up, I thought it looked like less.  Weighed the individual steak on my food scale.  Was 8.5lbs!!  Talk about getting shorted.  They did credit me, but still not a good thing.

About $12/day

Asking vegetarian about meat prices is a missed steak.

Jurgis, get out of here! No one asked you for join in this fun :)

$120!

I like how you roll. My man!

Beef quality at Costco in Canada is excellent. If you want better you'd have to go to some super expensive specialized butcher. I've basically stopped buying from anywhere else. I don't see why it would be any different in the US.

The only downside is that you have to buy like half a cow or something. But it looks like you're doing that already.

We buy a lot of our meat at Costco too. The quality is excellent for the price.  our local grocer Marketbasket Is a bit lower in quality, but they also keep prices low. We have seen a bit of upward pricing in March and April, but most of it has fallen back on line. Salmon , which we consume a lot, has gotten a bit cheaper to $7.99/ lbs. So we haven’t had too much of a problem.

I did notice that some restaurants have raised their prices since COVID-19. We don’t eat out that much any more, so it doesn’t matter. The wineries I am a member of (or on the email list) have been pretty promotional, so that’s great too. I have enough in my basement to last a while anyways.