Psychology of Misjudgment #6. Curiosity Tendency

LongHaul

6. Curiosity Tendency

Curiosity, enhanced by the best of modern education (which is by definition a minority part in many places), much helps man to prevent or reduce bad consequences arising from other psychological tendencies. The curious are also provided with much fun and wisdom long after formal education has ended.

General curiosity is the great eliminator of what Munger calls the “man with a hammer” syndrome. It loosens fixed beliefs, opens minds, and generally works against the inconsistency/avoidance tendency.

One interesting thought is that I think by far the most important learning occurs after formal education ends. 

If we have 2 people - one never goes to college but keeps learning something new everyday for decades and another goes to an Ivy League college and then almost stops learning, the continuous learner will blow past the Ivy League grad in wisdom.

6. Curiosity Tendency

Curiosity, enhanced by the best of modern education (which is by definition a minority part in many places), much helps man to prevent or reduce bad consequences arising from other psychological tendencies. The curious are also provided with much fun and wisdom long after formal education has ended.

General curiosity is the great eliminator of what Munger calls the “man with a hammer” syndrome. It loosens fixed beliefs, opens minds, and generally works against the inconsistency/avoidance tendency.

One interesting thought is that I think by far the most important learning occurs after formal education ends. 

If we have 2 people - one never goes to college but keeps learning something new everyday for decades and another goes to an Ivy League college and then almost stops learning, the continuous learner will blow past the Ivy League grad in wisdom.

Tell me more  ;)