Where to Find Best of Breed..

decko

I have my comfortable niche, but when i venture out its hard for me to find new gems.  More importantly, it would be nice If there was a site that only focused on best of breed of every industry. To be more specific companies that have proprietary products or services, etc.  Sometimes Its not always represented in stock screeners (which I havent used in years)  Including Small and medium caps, and obviously not the obvious ones like Visa and google of credit cards and search..  maybe it's more obscure industries, or maybe they are not in an industry.  Some companies provide a services that no one knows about.. For example, I discovered Jack henry and associates a few months ago...    Thoughts on a site or service that focuses on these type of companies?  Thank you

From my experience best of breed companies have high ROEs so that is a good place to start. The list will be polluted by highly levered companies, but you can sort those out fairly easily.

This is usually proprietary information and keeps people employed. At the risk of sounding offensive, why do you expect them to give away their expertise and livelihood to you, me, or anyone else, for free?

I have my comfortable niche, but when i venture out its hard for me to find new gems.  More importantly, it would be nice If there was a site that only focused on best of breed of every industry. To be more specific companies that have proprietary products or services, etc.  Sometimes Its not always represented in stock screeners (which I havent used in years)  Including Small and medium caps, and obviously not the obvious ones like Visa and google of credit cards and search..  maybe it's more obscure industries, or maybe they are not in an industry.  Some companies provide a services that no one knows about.. For example, I discovered Jack henry and associates a few months ago...    Thoughts on a site or service that focuses on these type of companies?  Thank you

Motley Fool tries to do that , but they have a bunch of momentum in their picks to, be it by choice or as a byproduct of their method. You can sort of get their thinking without paying  when you listen to the MF industry focus podcasts, which are pretty good. I personally subscribed to their Stockadvisor service.

Best of breed is a crowded bet and you pay dearly because everyone seems to do this nowadays or tries to, valuation be damned.

I dont think I was implying free...

Well, you can pay for various industry publications but need the subject matter expertise to understand the nuances, as I’m sure you are aware. To combine industry knowledge and investment knowledge is a valued skill and those folks are usually in senior management or employed on the buy side.