Weight Gains With Covid 19

BG2008
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One of the things that I have noticed on Social Media is various people mentioning that they have gained a lot of weight due to nonstop snacking and not being used to taking so many steps out of their day.  Amateurs!  I have been working from home for the last decade.  I am trying to gauge this as a I think WW (former Weight Watchers) could be interesting. 

Any additional insights would be helpful.

1) Lost of physical activity

2) Eating better, eating worse

3) More stressful due to juggling work from home, kids, etc

4) Lack of grocery options forcing you to eat less healthy food

Would love some feedback

I'll start with myself

I have been working from home for the last decade.  It was a very consistent 5-10 pounds a year that I gained since I don't have the same physical activity.  The joke is that someone on Keto or Paleo can't stop talking about it.  Yeah, that's me.  Since reducing carb/sugar intake, I've dropped 50 in the last 14 months or so.  Nothing really changed for me with Covid 19 in terms of activities wise.  Just sticking to my high fat diet/low carb diet does the job. 

pre-covid: 6' 1"        198

post-covid: 6' 0.5"*  186

no work lunches and wife's portion controls at work and this despite a consistent 5:00PM cocktail and cheese hour (one must keep civility in these times).

*VNO's 45% drawdown has hunched me over ever so slightly.

I would guess people who have been trying to keep their weight down have gone up, and people up, down.

I'm one of the people who generally is trying to keep weight on. I've got from a peak of 205 to around 175, although the first half of that was just from moving from LA to the rural midwest. My diet has been total garbage--eating entire bags of cookies, etc. So I'd guess probably 120% of the weight lost is muscle, with the -20% being fat gain.

It'll be interesting to see some attempts to aggregate the life expectancy outcomes of all of these lifestyle degradations, and weigh them against the actual COVID impacts. Probably won't be politically acceptable to play that game for a few years. But still interesting to consider how many 30 year olds are doing sort of irreparable metabolic damage to themselves in order to help their (probabilistic generalization) grandparents squeeze a few more months out.

Pretty stable myself around 168 pounds. I am on low carb diet since about 9 month ago.

Regardless of lockdown, why would anyone have a drastic weight change 6 weeks into this?

Possibly loss of muscle mass if you can't work out at home.

Lunches went from being subsidized corporate cafeteria catered by Aramark to simple at home stuff that’s probably a 200-500 calorie swing to the negative per lunch = weight loss. Work latte machine to instant coffee.

Weekend dinners went from 1-2 nice restaurant dinners to 0 (we’ve only ordered delivery 2x)

No work travel (work travel involves long sitting and i don’t eat well when traveling)

More exercise because I needed to and can.

Some degree of “hey I’m losing weight and getting healthier, that’s nice, let’s not try to stop this and Let’s go for longer runs and do some more pushups)

All that = ~5% weight loss over the course of this, feel healthier. I’m super lucky and privileged, young, healthy, live in a house with a yard close to a national park with trails and trees (Rock Creek). If I were in a studio in NYC, without my own cooking skills (or a wife), or was exhausted from taking care of kids and working from home, I could see putting on some pounds.

Pretty stable myself around 168 pounds. I am on low carb diet since about 9 month ago.

Regardless of lockdown, why would anyone have a drastic weight change 6 weeks into this?

Possibly loss of muscle mass if you can't work out at home.

Muscle loss would be a slow process? Maybe stress from this situation leads to eating  and drinking  more? I have seen garbage food being sold out (SPAM, MAC and Cheese)  etc being sold out at supermarkets early on ,but that’s over know. That is actually similar to 9/11 the same thing happened , but less severe. In a crisis, people tend to eat garbage food or food that they have eaten as a child.

I have a home gym and live pretty much in the country side. I can see that it feels different ,if you live in the 6th  floor in a NYC apartment.

I've lost a few pounds, about 5 as of a few days ago (I didn't weigh myself today).  Without my 35min commute in the morning and 45min commute in the afternoon, I find I've been starting work earlier, ending work later, yet taking short breaks throughout the day to go for short walks with my wife or do 10min on the rowing machine.  Also I've been eating better (low carb) since I don't have co-workers asking me if I want to go out to eat with them.  I tend to eat much better at home than I do when I go out.

Lunches went from being subsidized corporate cafeteria catered by Aramark to simple at home stuff that’s probably a 200-500 calorie swing to the negative per lunch = weight loss. Work latte machine to instant coffee.

Weekend dinners went from 1-2 nice restaurant dinners to 0 (we’ve only ordered delivery 2x)

No work travel (work travel involves long sitting and i don’t eat well when traveling)

Some degree of “hey I’m losing weight and getting healthier, that’s nice, let’s not try to stop this and Let’s go for longer runs and do some more pushups)

All that = ~5% weight loss over the course of this, feel healthier. I’m super lucky and privileged, young, healthy, live in a house with a yard close to a national park with trails and trees (Rock Creek). If I were in a studio in NYC, without my own cooking skills (or a wife), or was exhausted from taking care of kids and working from home, I could see putting on some pounds.

I feel like you and I live exactly the same life except I'm at Eastern Market and my park is Kingman Island/Anacostia bike trail/with an occasional Arlington loop sprinkled in.

I feel like you and I live exactly the same life except I'm at Eastern Market and my park is Kingman Island/Anacostia bike trail/with an occasional Arlington loop sprinkled in.

Having visited DC and done lots of tours of multi-family rentals, I have to say that I am incredibly jealous of what a $3,500 budget gets you amenity wise in DC vs NYC. Of course, I live and work from a pre-war apartment for $1,800 in Queens.  The value guy in me can't pony up $6,000 for a NYC apartment. 

Having visited DC and done lots of tours of multi-family rentals, I have to say that I am incredibly jealous of what a $3,500 budget gets you amenity wise in DC vs NYC. Of course, I live and work from a pre-war apartment for $1,800 in Queens.  The value guy in me can't pony up $6,000 for a NYC apartment.

$3.5k a month 55 miles down the road...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/41-Panorama-Dr-Warwick-NY-10990/31866455_zpid/?

less than 500 coronavirus cases as well. Afterall you live in a perpetual quarantine out here.

Well, not sure what you've got now but a buddy of mine has a decent spot up around your hood, 2600 for 1200sqft. If you're interested PM me I can pass along your info.

Do you recall the areas? I found DC to be very area-specific (for rent and buying) and a lot depends on metro access. Having grown up in deep Brooklyn (taking a bus to L train) I had to make mental adjustments. Also with new developments in Navy Yard and Mt. Vernon, you can get very interesting rentals with very serious amenities.