Greater or Lesser Social Solidarity Because of Covid-19?

Guest cherzeca

Guest cherzeca

if you are like me and follow restaurants and chefs on Instagram, what you will see now are not photos of entrees but rather a truly remarkable narrative of service...to their furloughed workers, to health care professionals at hospital emergency rooms etc.  of course this is as much an exercise in self-preservation as altruism, but as usual I find capitalist motives to be a feature and not a bug.

I wonder whether greater social solidarity in US can become a second order effect of covid-19.  at some point, we will return to greater social engagement, and if absence makes the heart grow fonder, perhaps this renewed social engagement will be viewed with an interest and even a delight that would not seem possible pre-covid.

or are we going to find that we rather enjoyed our social distancing and will look at covid as showing us the merit of pursuing more remote interaction?  will "social engagement is dangerous" and "social distancing is cool" become our new memes even after covid subsides?

Definitely the former. Humans are social creatures. Everyone I know is sick of being cooped-up inside. I think once the social distancing measures are lifted, maybe people will be a bit wary at first, but eventually we'll take back the streets :D

Definitely the former. Humans are social creatures. Everyone I know is sick of being cooped-up inside. I think once the social distancing measures are lifted, maybe people will be a bit wary at first, but eventually we'll take back the streets :D

One can only hope this will bring out the best in all of us.

Guest cherzeca

I am fortunate to both live in NYC, and have a country house (and have lived in country house for past 4 weeks with my extended family...actually quite nice).  today the michigan governor proclaimed that michigan residents who have two residences cant go from one residence to another.  can you imagine? in the US?

I fear that strange things such as this might become more acceptable in the future.  this falls under lesser social solidarity...actually a frightening acceptance of a totalitarian mindset...like the Louisville mayor who banned drive through church service (his stupidity was enjoined by court action), and the Nevada governor who insisted that family gatherings of more than 5 people were prohibited (likely just laughed at and ignored).

I have found folks to be more rather than less accommodating and respectful during the past few weeks, so I am encouraged...then I read the stupidity of bureaucrats and then I am discouraged.

It is much worse in Europe with the restrictions. I actually look at the Americas and am envious how much freedom within the pandemic there is. In Eastern Europe you need a document signed every time you leave the house. Where you go, how long, what for. And imagine, a new one each day! And get this, they have like no cases of covid almost at all. So you can judge who is being totalitarian and overreacting. It's all relative.

It is much worse in Europe with the restrictions. I actually look at the Americas and am envious how much freedom within the pandemic there is. In Eastern Europe you need a document signed every time you leave the house. Where you go, how long, what for. And imagine, a new one each day! And get this, they have like no cases of covid almost at all. So you can judge who is being totalitarian and overreacting. It's all relative.

I'm in one of those places and it's really not that bad.

1. A lot of people began self distancing/isolating before government orders went up. Surprisingly most of the people that didn't were the elderly.

2. You kind stayed at home because there was nothing else to do. Most fun places shut down because market forces driven by point 1. So you don't go anywhere cause there's nowhere to go. Again this was before any government order.

3. I was really annoyed by the document thing. But they're really not being nazis about it. Police is pretty cool (not like US/Canada) as long as you have a valid reason to do something you get no trouble. I don't do a new one every day. I just cross out the date and put a new one. Haven't had any trouble.

They're just trying to enforce the social distancing order. If you're trying to be a dick about it there will be trouble. There was a town that had a higher population of the "criminal element" that were having street parties and the like. Spike in COVID cases there. They've sent special units (police and military) to break that up. It was done. No shots were fired. Nobody killed.

4. Senior citizens have dedicated shopping hours.

From all that I can tell is that you're having a shutdown and it's being very professionally run. It is a huge economic cost and they're making sure it counts. No abuse or nonsense.