Work Laptop Recommendations?

wescobrk

Price range / budget?

What type of applications will you be using (large excel workbooks? Photoshop or video editing?)

How large of screen? Do you need it to be portable / light weight?

If you have a Costco membership and credit card, I highly recommend you purchase from them. The price is fair, and you get a free 4 year warranty.

I previously bought a Dell laptop from their website directly and it died after 1.5 years, and the original warranty was only 1 year. The cost to fix it alone was ~1/3 of the laptop value. Learned my lesson.

My company gives us Dell Precision 5520 laptops with a 15" 4K display and an i7 processor.  I like it and I've been working from home with it every day for the last few weeks.  I have a 27" monitor hooked up to it, plus a wireless mouse and keyboard. I put my remote linux workstation on the big monitor and I use the laptop itself as a second monitor for web/email/skype/etc.

lenovo thinkpad. everything else sucks unless you can use apple products.

+1 If you need laptop only functionality and ergonomics etc.

But...

A dock and a pair of screens also makes a huge difference working from home. I'd rather have some $300 Walmart laptop with a dock and 2-3 screens than only a 15in + Macbook Pro to work from. I guess it depends what you'll be running but even for tedious document filling two screens is better.

edit: I will add, there is no way I would buy a $2300 laptop for a temporary work from home situation. But that's just me.

• 6 months later...

+1

For those who like Thinkpads, this is a pretty good deal:

https://slickdeals.net/f/14460524-lenovo-thinkpad-x13-gen-1-laptop-ryzen-7-pro-13-3-1080p-16gb-ddr4-128gb-ssd-833-50?page=7#comments

You can go through Rakuten and get another 10% cash back off. I ordered one today to replace my 2012 Dell XPS13 which is running on Windows 7 and while going strong, some software (TurboTax)  is just not going to work any more.

Razer Blade is the best computer Ive ever used. Unfortunately any service issues require you to mail it in which takes 3-4 weeks. My backup is a MacBook. I travel locally a reasonable amount so both are tiny and lightweight and no problem to run off a hotspot from a car or at a restaurant/random meeting spot.

I've had a Surface Pro 4 for several years. There are two things I don't like about. First is the "kick stand" support. I like sitting in a recliner and it just doesn't rest well on my legs like a regular laptop. Second, the touch screen has alway been problematic. Tends to freeze up the device somewhat regularly.

+1

For those who like Thinkpads, this is a pretty good deal:

https://slickdeals.net/f/14460524-lenovo-thinkpad-x13-gen-1-laptop-ryzen-7-pro-13-3-1080p-16gb-ddr4-128gb-ssd-833-50?page=7#comments

You can go through Rakuten and get another 10% cash back off. I ordered one today to replace my 2012 Dell XPS13 which is running on Windows 7 and while going strong, some software (TurboTax)  is just not going to work any more.

Cancelled my order for thr Thinkpad. I figured out how to update my 2012 XPS13 from the obsolete Windows 7 to Windows 10, so it should be good for another 1-2 years. Once a value guy always a value guy. My wife is rolling her eyes.

Apple MacBook Pro (probably 16")

I bought mine in 2012-ish (it's the first of the retina display ones) and it still works just as quickly as the day I bought it 8 years ago. NO Windows machine would do that.

They are expensive, but when I had to use Windows laptops for work they would be quick at first, then bog down and be almost un-usable after 2 or 3 years. Not so with a Mac.

I use it plugged into a Dell 34" widescreen monitor and DasKeyboard at home, and use it as a laptop when travelling. I love it.

All the office software works on Mac now too, so no issues there.

You might be able to save a decent amount by looking for a sealed, boxed one still in the cellophane on eBay. I do that with my iPhones too (value never dies!)

Good luck