What Are You Drinking?

Castanza

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/21/2022 at 6:30 PM, Parsad said:

What's a Nespresso clone machine?  You mean a non-Nespresso brand that uses Nespresso capsules?  If so, yeah it's all good!  Who cares if it isn't the Nespresso brand.  As long as you still get good coffee out of it! 

I have an older Nespresso, and I use it only for espresso.  Otherwise, I do pour overs using non-bleached filters and an old small strainer.  You don't need fancy, schmancy stuff to make good coffee.  But you do need good coffee to make good coffee!  🙂  Cheers!

yes it's called the Mixpresso! 🙂   I think it was about half the price of the actual branded machines or maybe not quite that cheap but significantly so.   anyway I really hesitated because the environmentalist in me is very sad LOL but the coffees pretty good and adds some variety to my life. especially with work at home covid life.   on the other hand I do try to buy the branded pods and then get the free recycling bags to return to them.   I remember reading a study about how the pods are actually less  environmentally impactful than drip coffee which surprised me.   but according to the study, the majority of the environmental impact is due to the coffee beans, and since espresso pods use so little coffee like OMG so little coffee :-),  that makes up for the waste of the pod..   plus if I actually recycle it,   that will use up a whole pile of energy to smelt the aluminum but at least that will get reused instead of put in a landfill somewhere...   all the little debates between the characters in my head 🙂

On 3/30/2022 at 10:50 PM, Ross812 said:

Margarita perfected during the covid lockdown (Covarita)-

Juice from one small lemon

2 parts Costco anejo tequila 

1 part 80 proof orange liqueur

2 parts Trader Joe's fresh limeade 

Grand Marnier float

@Ross812 I tried this recipe out today and it came out quite well. I used TJ‘s low calorie lemonade and just straight up Cointreau instead of Marnier and some leftover of Jose Cuervo Especial Tequila instead of the Costco Tequilla. Much better than sugary stuff you get in most restaurants for sure.

Thanks for posting - this is the content we all come here for.

On 3/31/2022 at 4:50 AM, Ross812 said:

Margarita perfected during the covid lockdown (Covarita)-

Juice from one small lemon

2 parts Costco anejo tequila 

1 part 80 proof orange liqueur

2 parts Trader Joe's fresh limeade 

Grand Marnier float

After a lot trial and error I perfected the Negroni during the lockdown:

1 part Antica Formula 
1 part Campari
1 part Oxley Gin

First pour the ingredients in a container with a few regular sized ice cubes and stir (don't shake, the kinetic energy will melt to much ice). Then serve it with one big ice cube and a slice of orange. 

I've tried a lot of variants but never found any combination that beats the classic 1 - 1 - 1 version and the Antica Formula sealed the deal.

Reading this while having a Negroni using the Carpano. Will have to try the Del Professore, I don't think I've seen that before.  In general one of my favorite cocktails as it's so easy with the 1:1:1 ratio.

On the Margarita front, the 2 parts Tequila to 1 part each of Triple Sec and fresh lime is nearly perfect.   If you're looking for a bit more complexity, try adding a dash of salt directly to the drink before shaking.

8 hours ago, Moogs said:

After a lot trial and error I perfected the Negroni during the lockdown:

1 part Antica Formula 
1 part Campari
1 part Oxley Gin

First pour the ingredients in a container with a few regular sized ice cubes and stir (don't shake, the kinetic energy will melt to much ice). Then serve it with one big ice cube and a slice of orange. 

I've tried a lot of variants but never found any combination that beats the classic 1 - 1 - 1 version and the Antica Formula sealed the deal.

Agreed on the 1:1:1. I like Cocchi Americano but Antica Formula is the classic. In Kentucky, we substitute bourbon for gin and call it a Boulivardier.

22 hours ago, Santayana said:

Will have to try the Del Professore, I don't think I've seen that before

If you've got a bottle of Carpano, I'd suggest the Del Professore bianco (white) vermouth. You can use it interchangeably and I actually prefer it to a red vermouth as it's a little lighter and brighter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think to a certain degree, some liquor markets can provide a good look through on consumer behavior, supply chain, and generally supply and demand. Q42021/Q1 22 it was virtually impossible to get certain bourbons. Blantons was a ghost and if found, a $200 bottle. Eagle Rare similar. A $35 bottle pre COVID now $80 IF you can find it and happen to be one of the first few in line after the drop off. Lately these are back on the shelves at normal prices, although they still move quick. Even with bourbons that require an aging process, capitalism wins. So hard to see how 2x4s and trucks don’t follow suit.

51 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

I think to a certain degree, some liquor markets can provide a good look through on consumer behavior, supply chain, and generally supply and demand. Q42021/Q1 22 it was virtually impossible to get certain bourbons. Blantons was a ghost and if found, a $200 bottle. Eagle Rare similar. A $35 bottle pre COVID now $80 IF you can find it and happen to be one of the first few in line after the drop off. Lately these are back on the shelves at normal prices, although they still move quick. Even with bourbons that require an aging process, capitalism wins. So hard to see how 2x4s and trucks don’t follow suit.

I'll preface that I live in Kentucky and bourbon demand is very regional. There is a glut of a lot of lower end bourbon with Makers products, Old Forester, and Woodford etc. selling for less than it was on the shelves for in 2019. Exports really fell off with reciprocal tariffs in response to Trump's tariff party and the lower end bourbons are used in bars and restaurants saw demand fall off during the pandemic.  Many of the distilleries held onto their better stock during the pandemic and demand for liquor stayed high making the higher end stuff harder to find. Kentucky was later than the south coming out of covid restrictions so you are just now seeing distilleries spinning capacity back up. Bourbon exemplifies the inflation we are seeing being the supply chain and taters willing to pay up for "the good stuff".  

On a side not, bourbon drinkers and reddit have had a hard on for Buffalo Trace products for 5 or 6 years which includes Blanton's and Eagle Rare. They are still hard to find and I haven't seen Blanton's at MSRP for years. I will say very very few bourbons are worth $80 a bottle. Ten years ago all these "unicorn" bottles were cheap and available for $40 and under including Old-Fo Birthday bourbon, Pappy 15, Weller 12 ($18 all-day until December 2013), and Stagg Jr. Eagle Rare was a mixing bourbon. I switched to scotch years ago for bottles I would pay up for.  

17 minutes ago, Ross812 said:

I'll preface that I live in Kentucky and bourbon demand is very regional. There is a glut of a lot of lower end bourbon with Makers products, Old Forester, and Woodford etc. selling for less than it was on the shelves for in 2019. Exports really fell off with reciprocal tariffs in response to Trump's tariff party and the lower end bourbons are used in bars and restaurants saw demand fall off during the pandemic.  Many of the distilleries held onto their better stock during the pandemic and demand for liquor stayed high making the higher end stuff harder to find. Kentucky was later than the south coming out of covid restrictions so you are just now seeing distilleries spinning capacity back up. Bourbon exemplifies the inflation we are seeing being the supply chain and taters willing to pay up for "the good stuff".  

On a side not, bourbon drinkers and reddit have had a hard on for Buffalo Trace products for 5 or 6 years which includes Blanton's and Eagle Rare. They are still hard to find and I haven't seen Blanton's at MSRP for years. I will say very very few bourbons are worth $80 a bottle. Ten years ago all these "unicorn" bottles were cheap and available for $40 and under including Old-Fo Birthday bourbon, Pappy 15, Weller 12 ($18 all-day until December 2013), and Stagg Jr. Eagle Rare was a mixing bourbon. I switched to scotch years ago for bottles I would pay up for.  

I'd be happy if I could find a bottle of Michters, Leadslingers or hell even a bottle of Larceny.

49 minutes ago, Ross812 said:

Yea I was the other way around. Always liked smoky type scotches. Glenfiddich Fire and Cane is awesome. Lagavulin. Then kind of just moved over to bourbon. 

Sounds like Ross is a true contrarian with the timing there.  Pretty sure he's the original guy who put me onto Weller (definitely was someone on here).  Thankful for a few great years, but can't find it now.  I pretty much stick to four roses stuff now unless my dad finds me some Blanton's. 

Edited by CorpRaider

2 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Q42021/Q1 22 it was virtually impossible to get certain bourbons. Blantons was a ghost and if found, a $200 bottle.

A good friend of mine is a Bourbon fan, so I bought him a bottle of Blantons for his 50th birthday two years ago, I paid ~100 €. Today the best offer I could find is at €148.

7 minutes ago, maxthetrade said:

A good friend of mine is a Bourbon fan, so I bought him a bottle of Blantons for his 50th birthday two years ago, I paid ~100 €. Today the best offer I could find is at €148.

I got put on the order list at the local store recently. They said it only recently became more available, never goes on the shelf, and it takes a week or two to get in upon order. First reservation, first serve. $82. Cautiously optimistic. 

Prior I’d been getting it for $150 from a local guy who runs a massive chain of stores. Didn’t like paying that, but what are you gonna do? Need something to wash down the Natty Lights. Those are still the bargain of the century at $18.99 a 30 pack. 20 years ago I was buying that same 30 pack for $14.99.

45 minutes ago, Castanza said:

I'd be happy if I could find a bottle of Michters, Leadslingers or hell even a bottle of Larceny.

Our local Costco has Michters bourbon right now for $40.

I really like some of the new distilleries around the area.  Two of the good ones are New Riff and Wilderness Trail right now. Wilderness Trail was started by two consultants who have developed yeast strains for most of the distilleries in Ky. They are super sharp and know more about fermentation than your average master distiller.  

8 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

I have found though, as the market got crazy for a while, one of the best value bourbons is Angels Envy. $45 and probably better than most bottles double that price.

Can get it for €60 over here, will definitely give it a try!  

1 minute ago, Gregmal said:

I have found though, as the market got crazy for a while, one of the best value bourbons is Angels Envy. $45 and probably better than most bottles double that price.

Angel's envy is one of the "barrel finished" products similar to Makers 46, Woodford Double Oaked, and Old Forester 1910 but it's port finished like some scotches. Look for some Isaac Bowman Pioneer Spirit - it's port finished and readily available shadow Buffalo Trace product. BT distills the Juice for Bowman and ships it by rail car to Virginia for barreling and aging.  

I really like Knob Creek 120 barrel picks. Under $45 all day and a good sipper. The burn is part of the appeal - and if you don't like it - add water down to 80-100 proof like a lot of other bourbon on the shelf.