What Are You Drinking?

Castanza

22 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Yea Bombay Sapphire or Hendricks are great. Bourbon is my choice for a straight drink...gin alone is gross. But the best drink of all time is 1000% a gin and tonic. 

17 hours ago, longlake95 said:

Ya...totally. a good quality Gin with a premium tonic like Fever tree is hard to beat on a warm summer day on the dock. 

Oh..I recently tried Aviation Gin. The one made by an actor guy..Ryan something...I was pleasantly surprised...wonderful botanical notes...very good gin. Ha ha...sounds like I'm a gin snob.... lol.

Furthest thing thing from snob. 

My two favorite wines are....red and free. Lol. 

I’ve heard of fever tree but can’t ever find it near me. Can only find tonic in generic half liters which always pisses me off because it goes flat. 

Next month I’m headed to Kentucky for some bourbon bliss. My friends wife was the lead design for Heaven Hill’s new facility/addition so she’s hooking us up with a private tour and potentially some unreleased small batch samples 🤫

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh geez….you can’t buy a high quality gin then mix it with bubble piss. You gotta find a premium mix. I really does make a difference. I know the Costco’s up here in Canada sell a couple of Fever Tree’s tonic flavours.

https://fever-tree.com/en_CA/products/refreshingly-light-indian-tonic-water

i like the stuff so much I bought the stock…lol…🍹

1 minute ago, longlake95 said:

Oh geez….you can’t buy a high quality gin then mix it with bubble piss. You gotta find a premium mix. I really does make a difference. I know the Costco’s up here in Canada sell a couple of Fever Tree’s tonic flavours.

https://fever-tree.com/en_CA/products/refreshingly-light-indian-tonic-water

i like the stuff so much I bought the stock…lol…🍹

I have Target, Wegmans, Costco and Giant near me and none of them carry it (and they’re supposed to according to FT website). Probably just order it online at this point. 

18 hours ago, longlake95 said:

Ya...totally. a good quality Gin with a premium tonic like Fever tree is hard to beat on a warm summer day on the dock. 

Oh..I recently tried Aviation Gin. The one made by an actor guy..Ryan something...I was pleasantly surprised...wonderful botanical notes...very good gin. Ha ha...sounds like I'm a gin snob.... lol.

Furthest thing thing from snob. 

My two favorite wines are....red and free. Lol. 

Aviation is pretty tasty.  And to bring it full circle on the message board, Aviation was owned by Fairfax and David Sokol's family until being sold to Diageo.  Ryan Reynolds is the actor who has a continuing minority interest and is the face of the brand.

We drink a lot of Gin and Tonic in this household, but we are Schweppes purists.  And only in tiny glass bottles.  Never diet tonic.  We have fever-tree in the fridge and it just sits there.  Always fresh lime from our tree though.

And while we have a wide selection of really great gins including a local one made in New Orleans - the gin that gets put in the G&T's most often around here is Gilbey's.  Not a ton of Gilbey's fans out there but we actually love it for G&Ts.

Ketel 1 vodka, Rose and Grapefruit. Tasted great. My fav for about a year now. Least inflammation/feeling crappy of any alcohol for me. Makes a big diff if you're an athlete especially compared to wine/beer or other hard liquors, but could just by my make up. 

Edited by flesh

9 hours ago, flesh said:

Ketel 1 vodka, Rose and Grapefruit. Tasted great. My fav for about a year now. Least inflammation/feeling crappy of any alcohol for me. Makes a big diff if you're an athlete especially compared to wine/beer or other hard liquors, but could just by my make up. 

What type of athlete are you? 

<I’ve heard of fever tree but can’t ever find it near me. Can only find tonic in generic half liters which always pisses me off because it goes flat. >

pick up a sodastream and order Jack Rudy’s tonic syrup. That you can always have fizzy tonic.  Jack Rudy’s has some other products, but I’ve never tried them:

https://jackrudycocktailco.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw7fuJBhBdEiwA2lLMYWqAivD5AJVF1XVqDmO-KBIxWgXcuKTevdLsDAJzME8l0EgdO89YWRoCXN4QAvD_BwE

12 hours ago, LC said:

Been enjoying amaro's and ice recently. I call it the grandmother's liquor shelf: cynar, montenegro, ramazotti, strega, etc. Sweet, bitter, spicy. Yum.

Recently watched the film "Dinner with Andre" and picked up a bottle of Amaretto (although not quite the same). It's an interesting liquor for sure. 

4 hours ago, tytthus said:

<I’ve heard of fever tree but can’t ever find it near me. Can only find tonic in generic half liters which always pisses me off because it goes flat. >

pick up a sodastream and order Jack Rudy’s tonic syrup. That you can always have fizzy tonic.  Jack Rudy’s has some other products, but I’ve never tried them:

https://jackrudycocktailco.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw7fuJBhBdEiwA2lLMYWqAivD5AJVF1XVqDmO-KBIxWgXcuKTevdLsDAJzME8l0EgdO89YWRoCXN4QAvD_BwE

LOL and that it how Castanza became an alcoholic. 

Second, third, or fourth the Fever Tree specifically for tonic and the importance generally of not wasting good gin on mediocre tonic. Mediocre gin and mediocre tonic is a great drink in my book, but they must be equally yoked or you're wasting money. If you have Koval gin in your area, give it a try. Chicago-based distillery with limited distribution but I've seen it in other states. Best I've had.

1 hour ago, Castanza said:

Recently watched the film "Dinner with Andre" and picked up a bottle of Amaretto (although not quite the same). It's an interesting liquor for sure. 

Nonino is what I usually recommend as the beginner amaro because it's very inviting

https://www.acouplecooks.com/amaro-nonino/

That said the best thing is go to a restaurant with a well stocked bar and try a handful, as there is quite a large variation in flavor. Cheers 😄

You should be able to find Fever Tree in Trader Joes and Whole Foods as well.  The tonics are great...try the Fever Tree ginger beer with rum or in mojitos...terrific!  Use half of the ginger beer and half of the tonic, otherwise it might be too sweet.  Cheers!

• 2 months later...

Good to bring this post around again, as we are now entering the season of imbibing!  Please update your current refreshments in your cabinets you are tasting, or plan on buying for the yuletide season.  Cheers!

You can't get this everywhere unfortunately, but for the last three years I have been drinking a fair amount of this Empress Gin made by Victoria Distillers and the Fairmont Empress hotel:

https://victoriadistillers.com/

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product/6968

Really is fantastic by itself or in mixed drinks!  Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know much about wine but I enjoy a glass here and there. I think I avoid drinking wine because I hate opening a whole bottle and not finishing it. But I also don't always want to drink a full bottle....So I stumbled upon this product. Really worth it. Keeps wine fresh for a long time (indefinitely from what I understand). 

https://www.amazon.com/Private-Preserve-Wine-Preservation-Spray/dp/B0000DCS18