What Are You Drinking?

Castanza

Royal Salute 21. Easily exceeded relatively high expectations.

I consider paying $12 for a four-pack of Founders Breakfast Stout a splurge! With my taste buds, I think I would not appreciate the Royal Salute 21.

Have you ever tried Pappy Van Winkle?

Haha no I have not and a quick google was kind of awe inspiring. My typical hard stuff is in the $30-50 a bottle range. Once in a while the $200-300/bottle but above that is where I get to the point where I rather buy a case of good $50 a bottle type stuff than just one bottle of legendary booze. I saw a 72 year McCallans at the liquor store for $140k and first thought was "what happens if the guy stocking the shelves drops it?".

I do like the Founders as well. A few of the DuClaw varieties I liked when I tried them a couple years ago as well. The oatmeal/peanut butter/ chocolate/espresso ones I find are great when they are done right.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the super whisky nerd, I recommend a trip to Denver:

http://www.pintspub.com/malt-whisky.html

http://www.pintspub.com/assets/whiskybook-4-7-18.pdf

Looks like my kind of place too, but I would go for the home brewed beers rather than the whiskeys. I really don’t drink whiskeys much, but prefer the smoother Irish whiskeys over the scotch’s generally.

I am currently having a bit Calvados, which is my favorite goto drink for something a bit stronger.

Havana Club añejo 7 year (this bottle is actually 13 years old now).

When I run out, I may have to visit the duty free at Galeão again.

The only thing I like as well as Havana Club is Flor de Caña.

The darks are great with a splash of Coke & a lime.

The lights make great raspberry Mojitos.

Summer is coming...

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Castanza said:

Anyone try any good wines lately? Looked for some suggestions for an upcoming party. 

Bought this one for $10 at the NH liquor store a week or so ago.

image.thumb.jpeg.616091081617b343a4a25f830ad803d6.jpeg

It is really hard to go wrong with Cabernet , Merlot or Zinfandel from Sonoma county. $10-$20/ bottle gets you good quality. Napa county is great too, but usually more expensive. Some vineyards from Mendocino county are Ok as well.

For whites, I prefer Finger Lake Riesling or other white grapes or perhaps an unoaked Chardonnay from CA ( same location than above)

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, Parsad said:

Fireball!  What the heck!

Friday night drink at my place!

IMG_0471.jpg

Haha one of the best arbitrages Im aware of is the Bombay Sapphire. My parents can get the 1.75L at Publix in Tampa for $29.99 whereas in NJ the 750ml is $34.99 and the 1.75L is $44.99. I always have them bring a case when they visit.

24 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

Haha one of the best arbitrages Im aware of is the Bombay Sapphire. My parents can get the 1.75L at Publix in Tampa for $29.99 whereas in NJ the 750ml is $34.99 and the 1.75L is $44.99. I always have them bring a case when they visit.

I always cry when I hear U.S. liquor prices.  I miss being able to cross the border for 48 hours to save like 40% on a bottle of just about anything!  And my God, your wine prices...U.S. wines in U.S. grocery stores are 50-70% cheaper than the same U.S. wine in Canadian liquor stores.  Cheers!

5 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Yea Bombay Sapphire or Hendricks are great. Bourbon is my choice for a straight drink...gin alone is gross. But the best drink of all time is 1000% a gin and tonic. 

Ya...totally. a good quality Gin with a premium tonic like Fever tree is hard to beat on a warm summer day on the dock. 

Oh..I recently tried Aviation Gin. The one made by an actor guy..Ryan something...I was pleasantly surprised...wonderful botanical notes...very good gin. Ha ha...sounds like I'm a gin snob.... lol.

Furthest thing thing from snob. 

My two favorite wines are....red and free. Lol. 

Edited by longlake95

6 hours ago, John Hjorth said:

Hi Greg,

Thank you for sharing your post with a photo from what appears to be a very nice  & lovely place. House warming or what?

Thanks John. Yea kinda a house warming. Every year I have family and friends come up for Taco and Margarita  Festival at the county fairgrounds. Last year was cancelled so this year had much anticipation. My brother recently got a new dog and my wife is a bit of a worry wort. We have 3 dogs including a Tibetan Mastiff so she was worried about the reaction to all the company. We recently closed on a beautiful new property so to solve her worries I was like "we have a second home...." and thus ended up breaking in the new place with some food, fun and booze. Tonight we're back at the other house. Drinking again. Excuse the Miller Light, I ran out of my drink of choice...Natty Light. I was inspired by @longlake95 so grabbed a bottle of Hendricks LOL

IMG_0779.thumb.jpeg.56a99bb73dbf0ca82474401bded4c154.jpeg