Heterogenous compute: extending Moore’s law

LC

I always wonder what the role of FPGAs is in all this. Seems like dynamically having the ability to alter your logic on the fly and customize it to your application in real time should be some sort of advantage but I've never seen anything like that.

I always wonder what the role of FPGAs is in all this. Seems like dynamically having the ability to alter your logic on the fly and customize it to your application in real time should be some sort of advantage but I've never seen anything like that.

A custom design is faster and more power efficient than an FPGA.  As far as changing FPGA designs on the fly goes, FPGA designs need to be synthesized then, simulated in software, then tested in the lab before they can be trusted to work. You can't just reprogram the chip automatically on the fly and expect it to meet timing and work without bugs.  At least with current technology.  Maybe AI will be able to design reliable FPGA circuits on the fly in real time in app, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.