I love my Likebook Ebook reader

Nell-e

I recently bought a Likebook Ereader which is essentially an Android tablet w/ an e-ink screen.  I'm sharing since I'm guessing everyone on this forum reads A LOT and might get eye strain like me. Also, would like these companies to stay in biz.

You can buy it here: https://goodereader.com/blog/shop

or on Amazon or Aliexpress etc

Here's a YouTube video for the reader:

I also recently found this website, Netvibes.com, which is a good news aggregator.  I use Chrome Browser and have Netvibes as my startup page and then all my news is in 1 place including CoBF.  You can also download the SpaceDesk app from Google play and use the Ereader as your primary or secondary screen for your Windows PC.

How is it different to using a kindle or to any of the other e-readers shown on that site?

Thanks!

I recently bought a Likebook Ereader which is essentially an Android tablet w/ an e-ink screen.  I'm sharing since I'm guessing everyone on this forum reads A LOT and might get eye strain like me. Also, would like these companies to stay in biz.

You can buy it here: https://goodereader.com/blog/shop

or on Amazon or Aliexpress etc

Here's a YouTube video for the reader:

I also recently found this website, Netvibes.com, which is a good news aggregator.  I use Chrome Browser and have Netvibes as my startup page and then all my news is in 1 place including CoBF.  You can also download the SpaceDesk app from Google play and use the Ereader as your primary or secondary screen for your Windows PC.

My main criteria was that I wanted a fast web browsing experience on an E-ink screen because I read a lot and I hate CLUTTER.  That means I hate printing stuff out and I'm always reading off of some LCD phone or monitor which gives me eye strain. 

I'm not an expert on Kindles or Ereaders so take my comments w/ a grain of salt.  For Kindles, my understanding is that you can only read ebooks and listen to audiobooks.  I had a 2nd gen Kindle and it had an unusable web browsing experience.  Not sure if the newest Kindles allow you to browse the web but when reading about it seemed liked even if Kindle could browse web it locked you into Amazon's ecosystem.

For my Likebook, it's essentially an Android tablet with an E-ink screen which means I can add any app from the Google Play store.  Some apps I've downloaded include but not limited to Google Chrome/Docs/Sheets/Keep/Gmail/Calendar, SpaceDesk, Moon Reader, Amazon Reader, Pocket, Chess, etc.  You could add Facebook, Messenger, Instagram etc but I'm not into social media.  You could even add YouTube, Netflix, Candy Crush, or Etrade although those all would be subpar apps on an E-ink screen.

As far as how it compares to the other Ereaders, I chose the Likebook because it got good reviews and seemed like the best value.  There are other Ereaders by other companies w/ very comparable functionality.  The goodereader.com website does a good job of reviewing the different brands/models.

My main criteria was that I wanted a fast web browsing experience on an E-ink screen because I read a lot and I hate CLUTTER.  That means I hate printing stuff out and I'm always reading off of some LCD phone or monitor which gives me eye strain. 

I'm not an expert on Kindles or Ereaders so take my comments w/ a grain of salt.  For Kindles, my understanding is that you can only read ebooks and listen to audiobooks.  I had a 2nd gen Kindle and it had an unusable web browsing experience.  Not sure if the newest Kindles allow you to browse the web but when reading about it seemed liked even if Kindle could browse web it locked you into Amazon's ecosystem.

For my Likebook, it's essentially an Android tablet with an E-ink screen which means I can add any app from the Google Play store.  Some apps I've downloaded include but not limited to Google Chrome/Docs/Sheets/Keep/Gmail/Calendar, SpaceDesk, Moon Reader, Amazon Reader, Pocket, Chess, etc.  You could add Facebook, Messenger, Instagram etc but I'm not into social media.  You could even add YouTube, Netflix, Candy Crush, or Etrade although those all would be subpar apps on an E-ink screen.

As far as how it compares to the other Ereaders, I chose the Likebook because it got good reviews and seemed like the best value.  There are other Ereaders by other companies w/ very comparable functionality.  The goodereader.com website does a good job of reviewing the different brands/models.

Thank you that's helpful. Which size screen do you have an how heavy is it (re comfort holding with one hand/reading on the couch or in bed)?

I never even thought of getting an e-ink device for web content.  I love my Kindle Oasis for Amazon ebooks and I also have an old Kobo Aura  e-reader which I use for none-Amazon ebooks and documents.  But neither are good for web browsing.  How responsive is the web-browser? Also what about battery life when using it for web browsing.  I'd think you'd click around and scroll a lot more than you would turn pages when reading a book.  And finally how is it for text entry?  Could you say, post to this message board as easy as you could on your phone?    All of these are major issues when using the web-browser on the Kobo.  It is basically unusable.

Web browser is really responsive. That's why I love the device so much.  I have the 7.8 inch version and it's really light.  Would be easy to use one hand just for turning ebook pages but haven't tried one handed web browsing.

If you're going to do heavy input, then it's probably best to buy a Bluetooth keyboard or pair it to your windows laptop and use as a monitor. If you want to input like smartphone, it's just as fast as smartphone when typing but if you're swipe typing it slightly lags.  I have Gboard loaded on mine, and the word prediction functionality helps a lot.  I do use my likebook for Twitter but mainly for reading the feed.

The battery life is like a smartphone with heavy web/app use.  About a couple days.  If you only use like e-reader then battery life like e-reader, a couple weeks.

Web browser is really responsive. That's why I love the device so much.  I have the 7.8 inch version and it's really light.  Would be easy to use one hand just for turning ebook pages but haven't tried one handed web browsing.

If you're going to do heavy input, then it's probably best to buy a Bluetooth keyboard or pair it to your windows laptop and use as a monitor. If you want to input like smartphone for occasional use, it'll lag but it's serviceable.  I have Gboard loaded on mine, and the word prediction functionality helps a lot.  I do use my likebook for Twitter but mainly for reading the feed.

The battery life is like a smartphone with heavy web/app use.  About a couple days.  If you only use like e-reader then battery life like e-reader, a couple weeks.

That sounds perfect thanks.

If you're going to do heavy input, then it's probably best to buy a Bluetooth keyboard or pair it to your windows laptop and use as a monitor. If you want to input like smartphone for occasional use, it'll lag but it's serviceable.  I have Gboard loaded on mine, and the word prediction functionality helps a lot.  I do use my likebook for Twitter but mainly for reading the feed.

That sounds perfect thanks.

Actually I tried the Gboard again.  If you're straight typing, there's no lag.  If you're swiping then there's a slight lag.